Is this normal for a neuter fee??? Im actually shocked I think...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow even that is much cheaper than the deal I found (the package deal)... I wish they had the hook-ups like that here... Apparently not so much!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would test any new kitten/cat for FeLV/FIV. I do not vaccinate my inside kitties for FeLV.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that Ive only had mine tested for both, not vaccinated, Id have to check my records...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you called around

here

low cost clinic= 35-55

mid priced vet=75-120

high end= 150 +

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... Still seems high... GUESS WHAT GUYS....... BF said I can get the kitty!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet charges 225$ for a spay and 95$ for a neuter.

But I got Zissou spayed for 45$ at a shelter-run low-cost clinic. The costs were subsidized by donations, and they did a really good job.

I don't think I've spent 600$ on Zissou's vet bills in two years now... that stinks that it's so expensive.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Is this true??? What is everyones take on this??? Do you mean you dont need the FIV test??? All my kitties are indoor only... Not outsiders by any means!
Originally Posted by kitytize

I would test any new kitten/cat for FeLV/FIV. I do not vaccinate my inside kitties for FeLV.

I think that Ive only had mine tested for both, not vaccinated, Id have to check my records...
No, I meant I don't recommend the leukemia vaccine, that was what I thought was in your original price list? if not, boy is that a high price for a leukemia test!!! I HIGHLY recommend testing for both FIV and FeLV, even if they've been tested before

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I KNEW you would be happy! They are WONDERFUL....be weary though....they talk to your cat more than they talk to you!

They will automatically tell you what his behavior was after the neuter. They do this everytime I've had to drop one of them off! One vet tech laughed and said Summer batted at her long hair. They are very attentive, reasonable, and knowledgeable. Oh, and watch out for the beautiful maincoon kitties they have that live there!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know Im betting she gave me the price for the vaccine... Of course I will have him tested for both... I have done this with my other 2 cats... I think they were only felV tested (Id have to look at the adoption papers but Im sure my kitten was only tested)... So I really dont need to mess with the Feline Leukemia vaccine? My cats are indoor only and have been since I adopted them!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. Those are some high vet prices. When we lived in La Crosse, fees were similarly high. That's why I adopted adults who were already fixed, at the time I couldn't afford the ridiculous fees. The clinic my Mom goes to up in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) charges something like $50 for a neuter. When we lived in Wisconsin it was $200+ for the same thing at the local clinics.

One question: they aren't including a declaw in that price? I could see that making it a higher price if they just assume you want that.

editted to add: I tested for FeLV and FIV. I no longer vaccinate for FeLV. I did before I knew indoor cats didn't need it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds pretty off the wall on pricing to me. Males are a lot cheaper to neuter. What exactly does that include.

Ling's spay (and all shots) was only $150. A male should be done for about $75 plus shots at the most - so it shouldn't cost much over $100 IMO.

And its darn high on office visits too! Charlie's breeders test for FELV/FIP but do not believe in giving the vaccines. In fact, they told me not to give them to Charlie. I never have on any of my cats - I test them but never vaccinate them.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

I KNEW you would be happy! They are WONDERFUL....be weary though....they talk to your cat more than they talk to you!

They will automatically tell you what his behavior was after the neuter. They do this everytime I've had to drop one of them off! One vet tech laughed and said Summer batted at her long hair. They are very attentive, reasonable, and knowledgeable. Oh, and watch out for the beautiful maincoon kitties they have that live there!
Apparently my bf's father used to take our cat Tiger to that place (when kitty wasnt living with us) and bf used to trash talk that place because it wasnt the VCA
... I rather have people who care about my animals take care of them then ones who are rude and charge me outrageous prices... Im really excited about this... I cant believe he went for it... Have to give him rent money today just to seal the deal

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't recommend cats get the Feline Leukemia vaccine if they are indoor only.

Trust me you'll LOVE them!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Wow. Those are some high vet prices. When we lived in La Crosse, fees were similarly high. That's why I adopted adults who were already fixed, at the time I couldn't afford the ridiculous fees. The clinic my Mom goes to up in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) charges something like $50 for a neuter. When we lived in Wisconsin it was $200+ for the same thing at the local clinics.

One question: they aren't including a declaw in that price? I could see that making it a higher price if they just assume you want that.

editted to add: I tested for FeLV and FIV. I no longer vaccinate for FeLV. I did before I knew indoor cats didn't need it.
No that price of $275 on up was just for the neuter with a possible microchip... It did not include declawing because I told her I didnt want it, therefor she didnt give me the price... Im kind of curious what they charge for that... Its so mean!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For $275 they must have the cats on a gold surgical table and use gold plated instruments!
I'd love to know a breakdown and what the justification is to add up STARTING at $275!

How many times has the vet been to Hawaii - those prices are paying for his vacations IMO

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that the $275 may include the microchip... Im going to get him a collar and tag until I can get the chip done... Im not sure the price range on that because both my kitties are already chipped (one my bf paid for before we met) and my kitten came with one when I adopted her??? Neither of my other 2 kitties wear collars (yes, I know... I feel a lecture coming on), but this one is going to have to since he isnt chipped yet!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think that the $275 may include the microchip... Im going to get him a collar and tag until I can get the chip done... Im not sure the price range on that because both my kitties are already chipped (one my bf paid for before we met) and my kitten came with one when I adopted her??? Neither of my other 2 kitties wear collars (yes, I know... I feel a lecture coming on), but this one is going to have to since he isnt chipped yet!
No lectures here. I don't microchip with all of the Microchip wars going on and you never know if the local shelter even has the right reader (or one at all). I use a collar and tag.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wow... Still seems high... GUESS WHAT GUYS....... BF said I can get the kitty!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
Hooray!!!!!!!!!

You know Im betting she gave me the price for the vaccine... Of course I will have him tested for both... I have done this with my other 2 cats... I think they were only felV tested (Id have to look at the adoption papers but Im sure my kitten was only tested)... So I really dont need to mess with the Feline Leukemia vaccine? My cats are indoor only and have been since I adopted them!
Our girls don't have the leukemia vaccine either and won't get it since they're inside cats. My vet also recommended against giving it to them.

The places that charge a fortune generally also do a heap of bloodwork, keep them overnight and do a bunch of other stuff that is IMO unnecessary. Spay and neuter is a quick, simple operation and it's vet surgeries like that who charge a fortune that turn people off having their pets fixed!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah Ive read some bizarre microchip experiences... My other two kitties have the avid chip which reads on the home again, avid, and I forget the other one...