Is there a meaning to your cat's name?

huntersmoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We didn't like Hunters original name (Clarence) for him. Me and my BF were discussing names when he brought up Hunter. We both were like that's it! Then literally a minute later my mom texted me asking me if I had seen the moon, it was on a phase called the Hunters Moon as well as being a super moon. We were so surprised she had texted that right after deciding his name. We think it was fate!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a new kitty and named him Mickey.  Connor and Murphy both have Irish names, and Mickey is pretty Irish.  And John, my boyfriend, is Irish and was even born in Ireland and I think an Irish accent is the sexiest thing on the planet.  So, we'll stick with Irish names.  :)

mountianborn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Ivar-Wilhelm has a pretty sad story behind his name. Wilhelm was my dad's name, he died in front of my eyes when I was 10 only about a week after I'd lost my grandpa to a stroke. I lost both my dad and grandpa in one foul swoop. 
Ivar was my grandma's brother-in-law. After I lost my dad and grandpa he stepped up to the plate and took care of me, he became my grandpa and father figure. He'd drive me to and from school, he'd wrestle and play with me, taught me how to mend and fix things, how to play cards. He taught me that it's important to do things for others out of the kindness of your heart. I had him longer than I had my real grandpa and  my dad, he was a huge part of my life... and he passed away in April of this year. 
So when I got my little kitten home in July I named him Ivar-Wilhelm after the two most important men in my life who unfortunately are no longer with us. 

Otherwise my family has a tradtiton of naming animals after cartoon chracters. My mom has two horses named Pocahontas and Pikachu and a few cats Sirius (Harry Potter) Mio and Jum-Jum (both named after characters in Astrid Lindgren's book Mio, My Son)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heartfelt condolences to you for your losses -- and Ivar sounds like he was a great man.  You must miss him terribly.  It is wonderful, though, that you have named your kitten after him and your father.  I believe so much in keeping the legacies of those we love going, in whatever ways we each choose.  It is a wonderful tribute to them.  

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a new kitty and named him Mickey.  Connor and Murphy both have Irish names, and Mickey is pretty Irish.  And John, my boyfriend, is Irish and was even born in Ireland and I think an Irish accent is the sexiest thing on the planet.  So, we'll stick with Irish names.  :)
We had a visiting priest yesterday at mass who came all the way from Eire to visit us. His voice was so nice.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks! My mom wanted to name her Marble after her coat pattern but I talked her out of that lol
I might have called her Pearl because that circular pattern in her coat is called an oyster.  Foxy is nice too.

One of ours had big ears and big eyes, she looked like a cute little alien.  Nope, not calling her ET or Alien.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  we were so lucky to have come across her- she was apparently found on the street with 6 litter mates at 10 weeks old and our vet's groomer found them and brought them into the vets office so people would hopefully adopt them from there.  A few days later, we sadly had to bring our cat Feeny in to be put to sleep after suffering Kidney failure and there she was in the cage by herself- the rest of the litter had been adopted and it was fate. Me and my mom fell in love with her and took her home the next day.  Didn't imagine we'd get a new cat so soon after losing Feeny but it seemed like it was meant to be.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has happened to me, too.  We had just lost our beloved Queen Simba, and had to take our Sunny in for his checkup and medicines to keep him strong because he had dry-form FIP; the vet tech asked us whether we'd be interested in seeing a kitten she had found on the streets.  She'd adopted one sister and the other siblings had been adopted out; one little one was left, and she was at the vet's office.  I didn't think I could, because I was in so much grief; but I agreed to look at her, and once I did, I knew I needed to take her home.  It was as if Simba was telling me to adopt her and give her the love I'd shared with her, to carry on that legacy.  So I did.  Rani spent 19 wonderful years with me.  

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's a sad and happy ending for both destinyz12 and Tarasgirl06 and also a happy moment for the kitties as they are going to a good loving home :nod:

stampysnifflles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little Slim:Came from his uncle "Slim"

Stampy: came from the famous StampyLongnose or Joseph Garret on Youtube

Sniffles:Sneezes alot

Fuzzy Pants:Came from the movie "9 lives"

Kippy: Came from the word kitty

Zenny: Inspired by Japan and a slight bit of it came from "Zen Garden" in the original PVZ

Cupcake: My sis likes cupcakes, Case closed

Slim: Skinny Kitty

Princess: Came from "Princess Peach" from Mario Bros

Unknown: Small Black cat sprinting through our yard,No known name

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love your cats names Stampysniffles. I can just imagine you calling a bunch of them at once 

My partner named our cats, the first is Soybean, Beanie for short. We wanted something a little different for our black cat so she became Poppyseed, Poppy will come when she's called because there may be food. Beanie just looks up as to say "Haven't you been trained yet to not call my name?"
  •