Is there a meaning to your cat's name?

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Socks was seven months old when she showed up at my old house, she was originally shared between me and my neighbour, my kid wanted to call her Sweets, but we settled on Socks because of her little white paws.

I have no idea where Izzy got her name from. She was the first of her litter we found, meowing on the doorstep one night. I called her Squeaky Kitten at first, because of her squeaky baby meow, and wanted to name her Squeak, but one of the kids said she wouldn't always squeak so call her something else (but she still does have a squeaky meow). Nobody was claiming her, so I was going to take her to the vet to check for a chip, and then if not, register her there, but she would need a name. The night before, we were all trying desperately to think of a name for her, me, the kids, and my friend, calling out random names to see if she would choose something, reading websites with lists of cat names, but nobody could agree, until one of the kids suggested Izzy, and everyone liked it, so Izzy it was.

Mittens got her name because of her white paws, and one of the kids named every single cat ever Mittens, as it is a very cat name, and he was calling all three kittens Mittens, so I said he could name one of them Mittens if he liked.

Amber was the last to be named, we just couldn't think of anything out of the lists of cat names we had looked at earlier. I eventually suggested Amber, because of her orange coloured eyes, which I think are her most beautiful feature.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey Banana Queen, what s gorgeous bunch you have here [emoji]128149[/emoji]
I think your house is a magnet for kitties :lol3:

stampysnifflles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats like us because the foods outside and all the cats are usually willing to welcome a new cat so a lot of strays come and go

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a stunning family of kitties you have.They will provide many years of fun for all of you,and they are very lucky to have been adopted by your family. I also love their names. My kitties are named Omelette, Obie, and Speewee! Love and enjoy them all.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My current cat is Freya, after the Norse goddess of beauty, because she's such a beautiful kitty.  My most unusually named cat was when I was a little kid, i named an orange kitten "Mr Ravioli", both because he was orange and white like ravioli, and, because I really liked ravioli.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little sister once named a cat Termite.  I think her 2 year old brain mixed up Midnight and Termite (black cat) but it stuck.  It was always a bit awkward explaining to friends why she was named Termite, but she was very snuggly and lovey until she sneaked out and got ripped apart by the neighbor's dogs.  This was after we moved to town and we lived next to a jerk who couldn't seem to comprehend that when you have males and females in the same pen, puppies happen.  He also couldn't figure out that you're supposed to feed your pets so the dogs were always starving and once, I climbed into the pen to rescue a little dog the others were trying to eat.  It probably wasn't smart - I still don't know how I got out without getting mauled - but I couldn't just do nothing!  We called the humane society on him multiple times but he was the assistant fire chief so no one would do a thing.  He was a horrible human being.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally I wanted to name my cat something memorable and awesome. I settled on Khal Drogo, after the Dothraki warlord in Game of Thrones. In retrospect that was dumb.

Here was this tiny kitten, a baby gray tabby boy, and he wasn't a Khal Drogo. I waffled on a name for almost two weeks, and felt horrible for going that long without giving him a name, but during that time I would call him buddy. Like, "Hey little buddy, here's your food!" and things like that.

So a relative told me that's a perfect name for him -- Bud. And it's true, he's very much a Bud/Buddy. When I adopted him, his favorite place to be was on my shoulder. He would actually take naps on my shoulder. He was a bold, happy little guy who followed me everywhere.

So he's my Buddy. And it's been more than 2 1/2 years now, and he's still my best little buddy. Adopting him was one of the best things I've ever done.

I've gotten some mild ribbing over the name. My cousin laughed at me and said it's not a cat's name, although she has an absurdly small Yorkie named Jake, so I take her opinion with a grain of salt lol.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a cat's name to me.  But, I've had a dog named Pinocchio, a pony named Casper, and a cat named Pocahontas.  So your cousin would probably laugh at me, too.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The name often tells the cat's life-stage when adopted. A good friend of mine had a kitten he called "Spazz" who's now elderly. The Devil was a kitten born under my bed. Grandma was old when I got her, and hasn't gotten any younger.

A friend of mine had a cat she called "the Missus." Not a kitten, when adopted, I assure you. I once had a calico "Bette Davis" who was not a kitten, either.

scylla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
like many I have an amzing unique name for my cat... Mr. Mew because hes a vocal kitty who mews and screams at everybody.
although I often call him mewington!

and hircine (from elder scrolls lol) for my bigger kitty because he hunted our hands when he played!
although molag bal was a consideration because he had a uti or something when I was initially quarantining him. he was so stinky!
(waiting for blood test results, I wasn't going to introduce the cats until I knew he was clean)

Last edited: