Is there a meaning to your cat's name?

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Names are so fun. I forgot about a golden retreiver named Taffy too.
I had all kinds of odd pets when I was a kid.  I had a rooster named Peep-Peep.  He was beautiful with red and gold feathers.  He would chase me and my sister around the yard until we picked him up and gave him cuddles.  Problem was, he was a fighter.  He beat up all the old roosters so much, they got sick of it and ganged up on him.  We eventually had to move him and put him in a separate pen.  The neighbor's dogs - he let them run loose all the time and they caused tons of issues - ripped the door off the pen and played tug of war with him.  Our other neighbor got him away from the dogs, but it was too late and he couldn't be saved.

Those same dogs chased my pony around his coral for so long, they wore him down and caused him to step in a hole and break his back.  My mom said my grandpa was going to put him down but he died first.  I'm not sure if that's the case or not - mom may have been trying to spare our feelings.  Anyway, I also had a couple of pet sheep.  They were triplets and the ewe died giving birth (3 is a bit unusual).  One of them died, but mom has pictures of me bottle feeding Wendy and Mindy when I was 2 years old.  I also had a rabbit named Lucky and I had several guinea pigs and hamsters over the years.  They don't tend to live long, unfortunately.  My childhood was definitely full of fuzzy things, though!!!

poopface69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he was saved from a tweeking drug fiend in Tempe on apache bolavard at 2weejsold she was trying to use thisittle baby she stole way to soon from it feral mom to get into a drug house I saw this and imedatly took it from her and took him bone and nursed him every two hours I had named him mis chievious aka pooface but my friend Dwayne started calling him apache bilavardand it stuck saved there right on his name

poopface69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a very important question my kitten was hurt when he was 4to5weeksold he started having seizures he made a miraculous recovery well about 5ti6days ago I picked him up by his scruff and about not even an in h from the group d I gently let him go turned my eyes for not even a nano sec thinking he like all cats do on his feet all a sudden seizures I f err Lt lawful and then he had peralizes from his back down hhis back leg were periluzed well I took him to vet and they said for 200 ucks they'd put him to sleep well he started to receive my question is do they make little helmets like they do for epileptic children for his just smitten one false slip he could go into seizures and I feel that he will not recover if they don't do u know someone I could work with to create one for I want my poo to be safe but able to be a kitten

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is Hester. She is all black except for the very tip of her tail, which has a white star. I named her Hester because it means 'star' and also because it's an old fashioned name that I associate with New England. Oldey-timey New England => witches => black cats => Hester. Or at least, that's how my thinking went.

This is Hugo, he gets his name from it being the only one that my husband and I could agree on. I wanted to call him Finn, husband wanted Sergeant Fuzzyboots. We must have gone through every male name ever before finally settling on Hugo. Husband still calls him Sgt Fuzzyboots at times.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At one point we had six (Slipper passed and Rose is in Virginia with IB), so I'll post a pic of each and a little about their names.

This is Rose. She was already named when we got her, and IB rescued her from an abusive/neglectful home to bring her to us. (The others are her kittens.)

This is Asia. I'm not really sure how she got her name, because AWM named her and it just stuck.

This is Ra. You can't see it well, but he has a spot on each side that looks kind of like an eye, so we named him after the Egyptian god of the sun Aket-Ra.

This is Princess. (I named her.) I always said that the orange bit on her forehead looked kind of like a tiara.

This is Slipper. (We lost her earlier this year. 
This is my buddy Spot. He got his name because, as a kitten, he would chase his tail, dig in the litterbox, and was (is) obsessed with shoes. So, since these are all dog-like behaviors and Spot is a common dog's name--this is Spot.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're welcome tabbytom tabbytom tabby toms were my childhood cats. We didn't know if our first kitten was a boy or a girl so got called Izzy. The rest were rescues who already had established names.

P poopface69 Make a new thread for your question, more people will see it and could help.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can  I add two?  I named a male orange kitten Woody because when he was little he could not make it up the whole set of red oak hardwood stairs so he would curl up on the middle one and take a rest and his colour blended right in.  We were always saying to each other, "Watch out, don't step on the kitten."  So, Woody.

Then another male kitten I named Willie, before I knew for sure he was male.  I figured it could change to Wilma or Millie if he turned out to be a girl.

So, my sister phoned one day, "What'cha doing?"  she asked.  I replied, "Playing with Willie."  She laughed and said, "Does he have a big smile on his face?"  And then I got it, I'd given slang sexual expression names to two cats.  Sis said, "What's wrong with you, haven't you ever hear men talking?"

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always try to give meaningful names to my pets. My female is Autumn for two reasons: she was a stray that started coming to my house in the Fall, and, she is a tortie, so her coloring reminds me of Fall.

My male is Daulton, after the former Phillies catcher, Darren Daulton. We are Phillies fans and, when I found my male, he was small and scrawny but had very large paws, that were out of proportion with his body.  His paws were big. like mitts, so I named him Daulton. 

megladame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted Sonic and had just seen Deapool and loved it so she ( the black and white) came home as Negasonic Feline Warhead but after a few days became Negasonic Princess Warhead due to her princess behavior lol. When we adopted Disco the name bar was set pretty high so after much arguing and list making ( kaboom, gypsy danger, Sidney purrscott) a song came on that we consider our song and at the line Dicsotech Juliet we knew that was going to be our torbies name. We also call them princess and peanut and big and little

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flash got her name because she has this shock of Ginger on her face - She lives up to her name though the way she runs around like a lightening bolt!

And Sooty got his because hes solid back - although he has a few angel kisses now

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Wurp got his name because he wandered up to my house as a teeny feral kitten from the neighbor's barn behind me with a botfly larva in his neck.  It was the size of a golf ball and apparently compressed his vocal chords, because he could not meow, just make a tiny wurrrrp noise when he tried.  Hence, Wurp.  He still has very odd vocalizations, and the vet still seems to think it stems from that botfly as a tiny kitten.  Now that he is almost or possibly completely deaf, he is LOUD!  He no longer wurps, but WAAAOOWWWs at us, and still occasionally makes the squeaky sounds too.  That loud crazy waaoooww started when his hearing declined.  He does it especially when he wants my attention or if he wants his dinner, right now.  It's his new "I DEMAND" sound haha.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Rogue was named as such at first because he had, as a 4 week old and very feral kitten, somehow gotten himself into the engine compartment of my car. Apparently it is not very unusual for kittens to be found in a car! This picture is taken the day after the mechanics found him.

He did live up to his name. He ate everything, including my favorite leather shoes. He wrestled everyone. He tricked his way through the Rascal-only chip-operated cat door without a chip. He required multiple playmates, a garden, special food, four (4) cat trees. He ran around like a maniac. He ate until he topped the scales above 20 lbs. He somehow got into the habit of spraying, which was quite hard to break. He was loved very much.

This is one of the last pictures I have from the Rogue. He didn't quite reach his third birthday, and is missed every day. Of course, being the Rogue, he left a legacy of chewed-up cardboard, peed-on corners, and his playmates, so the house will never be without a cat.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@rougethecat

What a boy Rogue is. Though it's just 3 short years, his lived out a full life as a normal cat should have. He's one special boy [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@MServant

What a great looking cat Mouse is! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
Love the photo of him standing on his hind legs playing with the feather wand.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@MServant

What a great looking cat Mouse is! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
Love the photo of him standing on his hind legs playing with the feather wand.
One of my favourite pictures of Mouse.  
   I always look at it though and feel amazed at how little he is in comparision with the feather wand bit - he was always rather 'big'  (tubby) for his age. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@TabbyTom  , with a cat as cute as January, and with such an amazing life story, I think you are going to have to get used to Purraise.