Is she a wedge head?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown tabby MC shouldn't be carrying the point gene really. I really doubt the parents are as told.

She just looks black to me in the newer pics, not smoke or tortie. As OS said tabby markings are common. Her eyes are also just changing from kitten blue they'll probably go amber or even green.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree....  in those latest photos she looks like she's genetically black, not tortie.  

So never mind what I said about the father having to be red.

The pointed thing does still seem odd for a MC, though as I said , not totally impossible that one copy of the gene could have got passed down hidden. and only popped up due to an accidental mating with a pointed cat.

That last photo is CUTE! 

@ OrientalSlave,   I don't know for sure what associations have golden tabby in MC, but I did see it listed on the Maine Coon Breeders & Fanciers Assoc.site saying that it is accepted in some associations.   That's what I meant --  that it might not be incorrect for MCs, but depending what registry.  .............. But apparently a moot point anyway since it sounds like you may have been right that it was not from the registration,   it was  more just an attempt to describe the coat  .  which sounds like a  warm Brown Mc Tabby  

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several odd things going on here, and thought the same as quoted. How terribly sad someone is apparently breeding 2 breeds and has no breeder friends or mentors to turn to.

What colour is Golden Tabby?

So the litter is black tortie, blue, black and seal points?
Golden (y in EMS codes) is a color found in some cat breeds, like Brits for example. My last litter had a golden spotted tabby in it (parents were black silver shaded x black silver shaded point). It is recessive and has something to do with silver gene, and probably agouti as there is no records of existing golden smokes at all, still not fully understood but has been around for at least 100 years. Popular in Europe & Russia. I have hard time believing a MCO carrying a point gene.. golden tabby Coons do exist though (I don't think I've ever seen one in real life).

The kitten in the pics looks like black domestic shorthair, the eyes will definitely change color. If she is a smoke, one of the parent's must be a silver which doesn't seem to be the case.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Golden (y in EMS codes) is a color found in some cat breeds, like Brits for example. My last litter had a golden spotted tabby in it (parents were black silver shaded x black silver shaded point). It is recessive and has something to do with silver gene, and probably agouti as there is no records of existing golden smokes at all, still not fully understood but has been around for at least 100 years. Popular in Europe & Russia. I have hard time believing a MCO carrying a point gene.. golden tabby Coons do exist though (I don't think I've ever seen one in real life).
Yeah, the only Golden I'm familiar with is the Persian. Have seen pics of Golden Brits but not one in person.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Khaleesi is exactly 6 weeks 2 days old today and her facial shape has changed a bit. It seems to be becoming more angular, at least from what I can see. I still think her MC genes may be cancelling  out any extreme wedge shape to her head but I think I am starting to see some very siamese looking structure just the same. Am I just looking too hard? I mean her ears are getting pretty darn big for her head, it seems each day they get bigger!

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it has just been so long since I had a kitten, I forgot they tend to look pretty alien in the beginning with big ears and eyes!

Finally got a picture showing her undercoat, trying to restrain and wiggling kitten and snap a picture as impossible, but luckily her undercoat color is really easily seen on her neck so while cuddling I snapped this 

Somewhat blurry still, she was starting to wake up. This silver color is really visible even when the fur is not parted on her neck, sides of head near ears and her chest. Its not white coloration, its definitely silver in hue and throughout her coat under the black. As she ages it it becoming more obvious, even my mom reacted when she came over today by saying "Is she going to grow into a grey cat?". Maybe it is just an "unsound coat" as Oriental Slave said, but is it normal for it to get more and more prominent as she ages? I mean its not even just when you part it now, in her last picture in the previous series with her tongue out she was very jet black but now in person she is very silver looking under her head and her chest. 

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok! I will stop flooding the board with posts about my little girl. She will be what she will be, and who knows really what that will be until she grows up. All I know is she is precious and perfect to me no matter what she looks like. Thanks for everyone's help and input!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone minds, I'd like to see how she grows and changes

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will keep posting updates then! I just didn't want to annoy you all with my posts saying "Does she look like this? How about this?" haha. I am just enjoying watching her grow and change so much, its amazing in just a week how much bigger she has grown and how much she has changed. I am really finding myself fighting between not being able to wait to see what she looks like when she grows up with her dual heritage and wanting to cherish her when she is so little and adorable. Its funny because she was the runt when I got her, but considering how big she has gotten in a week I think she may have more of her daddies big MC genes in her than we knew! Her eyes are going green, no yellow/amber to be seen, just a beautiful light green. If I remember right from human genetics green eyes can only happen if one parent has blue/green eyes as well and we know her mom had blue.Anyways, it looks like she will have green eyes since I am seeing no hint of yellow and when my other 2 kittens were 7 weeks they already had full on yellow eyes. 

I will take weekly pics when I can and post them, it should be fun to see what she grows into!

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I know the feeling, I have an external hard drive filled with kitty pictures of my current babies and babies who passed on sadly.

Interesting, cute factoid about Khaleesi....she is trilling. It took me a few days to realize THAT was what the sound was, its a very light high pitched noise and I know its a Maine Coon trill! Yet she doesn't JUST trill, she also has no issue voicing her complaints in a loud meow (squeak) if I don't do what she wants. So I have a feeling I may have gotten both her parents genes in that way, a MC's trills and a Meezers loud talking all in one!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will keep posting updates then! I just didn't want to annoy you all with my posts saying "Does she look like this? How about this?" haha. 
Well anyone who doesn't want to look, just won't ;)

I'm still not convinced she is the purebred mix you were told lol but you never know.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's really cute! Please keep posting photos as she grows, I would love to see how she looks as she gets older. :)

My Maine Coon squeaks too, btw.

For comparison to a purebred Maine Coon, here are a few photos of my black Maine Coon as a young kitten, IIRC she was about 8 weeks here (these are photos the breeder sent us, we brought her home at 12 weeks):

Sorry, I don't think I have any at 6 weeks, but here is one at 5 weeks:

Last edited:

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus
True, only thing I know with any certainty is that she has Siamese in her since 2 of her siblings were blue eyed pointed boys. So I am assuming her mom was actually Siamese. The dad, who knows!

Quote:
She's really cute! Please keep posting photos as she grows, I would love to see how she looks as she gets older. :)

My Maine Coon squeaks too, btw.

For comparison to a purebred Maine Coon, here are a few photos of my black Maine Coon as a young kitten, IIRC she was about 8 weeks here (these are photos the breeder sent us, we brought her home at 12 weeks):
 Oh she is beautiful! Very different in bone structure from Khaleesi though, my girl has a very delicate frame with dainty features, very meezer imho. Your girl has the hardy MC features I know and love, being a MC fancier myself. I will keep posting updates, new pics should be soon since she just had a growth spurt where she was eating tons and sleeping all day, and 2 days later she seems to have grown overnight! She is still dainty, but getting out of the teeny kitten stage!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Oh she is beautiful! Very different in bone structure from Khaleesi though, my girl has a very delicate frame with dainty features, very meezer imho. Your girl has the hardy MC features I know and love, being a MC fancier myself.
Yeah I've been told Roxy has very good MC bone structure by judges...  She's also a polydactyl and I've been told that the polys often have heavier bone and some breeders actually breed to them in order to improve the boning in their lines (apparently even non-poly kittens born to a polydactyl parent often inherit the heavier bone structure.)

Here's a newer photo of her, as an adult :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Love the collar tag...

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree! That collar tag is adorable, makes me want a double pawed baby just to get it!

Here are the most recent pics of Khaleesi (nickname Monster) today has been a big day as far as new developments. She has started to meow when she is bored/wants attention now. She has never used her meow for this before, so when she first did it I went running scared she hurt herself just to find her perfectly ok sitting in the kitchen wanting cuddles. She has also discovered fear, I came in the door with grocery bags and she ran and hid, I had to coax her out and since then she has been a little more skittish that usual...I hope she recovers! 

Last edited: