Is my pregnant cat nesting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her behind is extremely swollen. I don't think she knows how to go alone yet. A tiny bit came out when I tried to stimulate it.

We don't have Walmart here, I'll ask my mother to get one from the store.

Okay, I'll do that.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is scared try wraping her in a tea towel or some such and snuggling her close to your chest up by your neck and stroking her slowly to reassure her thatbshe is safenand you aren't going to helurt her. Talk in a low quiet voice. She will understand your tone even if she doesn't understand your words. also try shushing method (quietly saying "sssshhhhh" over and over like you would a baby). It sounds similar to the sound of the amniotic flyid moving in the womb which is why it soothes babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You think she may be constipated? If so, add a couple of drops of olive or vegetable oil to each bottle when you feed her. That should help. And continue stimulating her.

Is she eating well?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip!

She's eating whenever I feed her. She was eating so aggressively I felt like she was gonna bite the syringe off. Poor thing was starving.

Since the last time I fed her (about 7 PM) she's been sleeping cuddled up with a stuffed giraffe. I don't have the heart to wake her and feed her so I'll feed her when she wakes.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is scared try wraping her in a tea towel or some such and snuggling her close to your chest up by your neck and stroking her slowly to reassure her thatbshe is safenand you aren't going to helurt her. Talk in a low quiet voice. She will understand your tone even if she doesn't understand your words. also try shushing method (quietly saying "sssshhhhh" over and over like you would a baby). It sounds similar to the sound of the amniotic flyid moving in the womb which is why it soothes babies.
Thank you! I've been doing that and will continue to try [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad she's eating well. Keep feeding her as much as she wants every couple of hours. I hope she'll poop for you before too long. Is she peeing?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stayed up through the night to feed her. She won't poop. When I stimulate her it looks like she's trying really hard but it won't work. The olive oil didn't work [emoji]128542[/emoji] She peed a bit in the litter box when we first put it. Not again after her last feeding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her urine needs to be very pale yellow or clear. It's possible that she is still dehydrated. She should soon begin peeing for you at least every few hours. What color is her urine? If she is dehydrated it will be dark yellow and concentrated.

How much is she eating at each feeding?

Are you adding oil to each bottle? Once her system adjusts she should poop.

Giving her a bath in warm (not hot) water and rubbing her tummy may help her to poop.

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She peed, either twice today or once today and once yesterday night. No poop though.

I'm feeding her 10 ml in each feeding, sometimes more because she's so distressed she'll push at me and spill.

I am adding oil, I think that's why she peed. But I can't possibly give her a bath, she's extremely frightened. She barely lets me feed her and only does so because she's so hungry. Whenever I'm not feeding her she's sucking on my finger trying to nurse. It's so sweet and sad.

Oh and she only pees in the litter box so I can't tell what the color ism I contacted an animal organization today and hopefully they'll be able to help me get her a free vet check up by today or tomorrow!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good that she's eating well and peeing. Poor baby misses her mom. Have you introduced her to your pregnant cat yet?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she keeps trying to get close to her but Cheetos is scared of her. She always takes a long time to adjust. However I found the kitty a home so that won't matter! I'll be taking her to her new home tomorrow and hopefully they'll be able to take great care of her. She's such a cutie, I wish I could keep her but I'm not allowed to.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
zahraa zahraa

Does this new home have experience with a kitten of this age? Are they aware of the round the clock feedings, and that she has not pooped yet?

In fact, is her bottom still swollen? Are you still stimulating her with a warm, damp cloth?

Please post another picture of the kitten for us outside the box.

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they're aware. It's why I'm giving her to them, they have more experience. I'm inexperienced and scared I'll harm her.

Yes, I'm stimulating her and it is still swollen.

She peed on the floor and it was very pale yellow, almost colorless so I don't think she's dehydrated.

I will as soon as I get back home. But here's a picture of her bottom, so you can see how swollen it is. I don't know what kitten bottoms should look like so. [emoji]128518[/emoji] It's not very clear but as I said, she freaks out at me when I touch her.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great news! She pooped. It's not a lot, but progress nonetheless.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! More should come soon. The fact she's hydrated now, along with the oil and continued stimulation at each feeding, will help greatly.

Is her bottom less swollen looking now?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still swollen, but a little less. Does it hurt her when I stimulate her if she's constipated? She's always screaming anyway but seems to be screaming more when I do it, even though I do it gently.

And how well should her vision be at this age? Because I'm beginning to doubt she's blind. I noticed that she was quiet but when Cheetos approached her she sniffed the air then started screaming, looking in random directions and not at Cheetos herself, as if she couldn't tell where she is. The look in her eyes and her constant freaking out and her feeling things in order to walk is making me suspicious. God, I really hope she's not. Poor thing has enough to deal with. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurt? No. Uncomfortable - probably, but she needs to go. Gentle stimulation is good.

Kittens this age do not see well yet. All cats use smell to figure things out, and moving slowly and sniffing seems normal for her age.

I'm wondering why she screams so much. I figure she does not feel safe and is frightened. Poor baby.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow afternoon for reassurance. The problem is that I can't be home until 3 PM tomorrow and I sure it's not healthy for her to remain milk-less that long. Mom is scared of cats especially since she flails and scratches so much but hopefully I'll figure it out and find someone to feed her while I'm out.

I think she's just calling for her mother because whenever she feels motion her screaming decreases a bit and she runs towards whoever is moving. When she smells me she starts sucking on my finger. She's mostly screaming when I handle her or when I put her in the box (she's peed outside the litter box twice now so mom is decreasing her outside time). She does meow even when she's out the box and not being handled, but it's not screaming or as urgent. She goes quiet when she pees though which I'm guessing is normal [emoji]128514[/emoji]

I really hope the doctor finds nothing wrong with her. Every time I look at her it breaks my heart.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cheetos is having more discharge now, she's having trouble cleaning it off her tail. I hope she gives birth soon, maybe she'd let the kitten nurse and feel more safe.