Is my pregnant cat nesting?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
zahraa zahraa

It sounds like she may have a fever from fighting an infection, which is probably mastitis in the mammary gland. Mastitis is a clogged and infected gland, and can be painful. She will need antibiotics, which will clear it quickly.

When can you see the vet? Or are antibiotics sold over the counter in your country?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if they're sold over the counter, but I want to see the vet anyway just to be cautious. I'm taking her tomorrow. I've noticed she doesn't like nursing them very much. She doesn't show signs of pain when we touch the lump, but a lot of times when they want to nurse she gets uncomfortable in a few minutes.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be something more dangerous [emoji]128542[/emoji] Can the vet still treat her for worms if she has Mastitis?

And something I've been meaning to ask, is the treatment of her worms done over one session or does she need to go in several times?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she has mastitis, she will take antibiotics. She can still be wormed. The second worming is 2 weeks after the first. Most vets will give you the medicine for the second worming to give at home.

Try not to worry. It is probably mastitis. Put a warm, damp cloth on her affected mammary gland. It will help until you see the vet.

She may be nursing less because the kittens are getting teeth and biting a little when they nurse. They will be ready to try wet cat food soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also put cabbage leaves over her nipples, if she'll hold still and let you.  Not likely, but you never know.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

They are moving around a lot and it doesn't bother me but it seems to get her really distressed. Anything I could do about that?

Also, when do they start peeing and pooping on their own? I don't want any poop on the floor. [emoji]128514[/emoji] Do I introduce them to a litter box or does their mom? Should I have a separate litter box for them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As kittens begin to explore away from the nest, many mom cats become anxious. She will relax more about it in the next week or two. It's her protective instincts. The kittens should still be supervised in a small area for now. That will help mom feel less stressed.

They will need a kitten-sized litter box to use when they begin eating solids. You will put them in before and after meals, and take a little paw and show them how to dig. They will also watch mom!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

They are moving around a lot and it doesn't bother me but it seems to get her really distressed. Anything I could do about that?

Also, when do they start peeing and pooping on their own? I don't want any poop on the floor. [emoji]128514[/emoji] Do I introduce them to a litter box or does their mom? Should I have a separate litter box for them?
Think of it like a brand new mom who takes her baby to a park for the first time.  She wants the baby to have fun but she's afraid of him getting hurt.  So she bites her nails and hovers and her heart stops every time he decides to climb something.  And then, after going to the park a dozen times with nothing bad happening, she starts to relax a bit and hover less.  Kids growing up is very hard on moms.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just took her to the vet. He said it hasn't developed to Mastitis yet but it's causing her a fever and her lumpy breast needs to be wiped with warm water and massaged. He treated her and treated her for worms and gave me meds for the almost-Mastitis. I just got her back from the vet's and she's panting really bad ever since (with her mouth open) he treated her for the infection. I'm really nervous and the vet's closed and I lost his emergency number so I can't call. Is this normal? I'm really scared. She does seem to be paying more attention to her kittens though. I don't know. [emoji]128542[/emoji]

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do I dip her in cool water to cool her off? I'm so scared. When the vet checked her temperature it was 40 C, after he treated her I thought it would go down but she won't stop panting now. [emoji]128532[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
zahraa zahraa

How is she now? She may have been panting from fright. Has she calmed some?

What is the name of the worm med she was given, and the name of the med she was given for infection?

Has she been eating or drinking since the vet?

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello. Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy.

The infection meds are called Emoxine and I have to give her half a tablet per day. And I don't know what the deworm meds are called, there's just Deworm written on the little plastic bag (or whatever it's called) he gave me. I don't know if Deworm is the name or if he just means "Deworm meds".

Three of the kittens are eating wet food, but one looks almost scared when he looks at food other than his mom's milk. He also never let me supplement him with KMR. Is this okay?

Also, they are pooping on the floor. How much time does it take for them to learn to only use the litter box? And how much wet food should they be eating?

Also, her fever has calmed down and so has the infection but she won't eat wet food. She only wants boiled chicken or fish which isn't easy to get. How do I get her to eat her wet food?