Advisor
Purraise
Okay, that is the normal spotting as her uterus heals. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are precious! Kittens do grow fast. Your mama kitty has beautiful coloring. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I think so too! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Yeah, I got back from school and was genuinely surprised by their growth.

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question again!

This might seem stupid, but I have homes prepared for the kittens 3-4 months from now and since Cheetos is a Persian anx she mated with a Persian, I assumed the kittens would be longhaired and I told the houses they're going to that. Could they be short haired? Because 2 of the homes want long hair kittens and if they could be short haired I want to know so that I'd search for other homes as well just in case. I'm asking because I don't know if their coats look longer than usual for newborns, they look normal to me because I haven't seen much newborns in person.

Last edited:

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
they're beautiful and so is cheetos :-)

Last edited by a moderator:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, so are your kittens! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I know, right? [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will be easier to tell if they will be long or short-haired in a couple of weeks. You can always show the prospective adopters their pictures to see if they are still interested. It's hard for me to tell from the picture.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before Cheetos gave birth, I used to see little black specks around her nipples that the vet told me were normal. Now I see they've spread over her lower abdomen?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I read a little about retained placentas in cats. Could she have not expelled a placenta and that's what caused a fever and the blood? I only saw the first placenta, I wasn't there after the second birth.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Another picture!

She started moving them under the couch again. I think it's because I handled two of the kittens yesterday. She didn't like it and put her paw over my hand to stop me. So I've only been checking over when she's not around.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The black specks are normal. It's the equivalent of freckles on a person. It's nothing to worry about.

Like I mentioned before, all cats have bloody discharge for 7-10 days after giving birth while the uterus shrinks back to normal size and heals. Human women experience the same thing after childbirth as well. It is normal.

Post-partum fever, or fever after birthing, is also not uncommon. It is called puerperal fever, and is infection in the lining of the uterus. It is commonly treated with antibiotics.

It is highly unlikely that she retained a placenta. Cats eat them very quickly.

It sounds like the kittens are doing well. Mama cats are more relaxed about their kittens being handled after they are 3-4 weeks old. When they begin leaving the nest on their own to explore, you may want to sit on the floor and let the kittens crawl on you. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Haha, I'll probably spend all my time staring at them by then. Cheetos is eating well again. I'm scared she's starting to be in heat again, though. Is that possible? She isn't acting as extreme as she does when she's in heat but she does keep meowing at my brother's door or the front door and rolling in my brother's shirts.

Also, I found a male cat who's so skinny it's scary. He tried to eat a piece of meat but it fell out of his mouth, and now he just smells it and walks away. I have to keep him on our closed porch because I can't have him anywhere near Cheetos, but I'm scared he'll jump off. Since he didn't eat we gave him kitten formula and he drank it. He doesn't look his weight in thr picture but when you feel him you can clearly feel his ribs and bones. I think he has two front teeth missing. Mom told me his behind is swollen as well. He urgently needs a vet, I don't have the money to take him to one. He's very sweet and obviously a domestic cat that got thrown out. :/

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG they're so flipping cute!!!  I'm gonna squeeee!!!
People are so horrible.  I don't understand how they can just throw their pets out like old garbage.  I would go homeless rather than give up my boys.

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't stop staring at my cat's new kittens either. [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128566[/emoji][emoji]128525[/emoji] Quite literally all I do...they are very distracting.

It seems like you are a cat-in-need magnet. You must have a special kind of energy.
He is very beautiful. Looks like all he needs is some good food and a bath. He looks young too. I think you could easily find a home for him once you clean him up a bit.

As for the swollen bum...maybe he is constipated like the other kitten? But I will let one of the experts say more about that...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks a bit scruffy for sure. It's good he drank the kitten milk. Will he eat dry kibbles or wet cat food?

You can apply a warm, damp compress to his bum if he'll let you. It's possible he's constipated if he's been eating garbage. His anal glands may also be compacted. If he gets some decent meals, the problem may correct itself.

It's good that Cheetos is eating again, but it does sound like she is in heat, and that may be why the male cat is hanging around. Be sure not to let her out! Warn all family members before they open the front door!

The male cat has probably been in fights over territory, and lost his teeth due to getting bitten and infected. He needs a vet visit and neutering, and would probably make a nice house pet for someone. Poor little guy. It's a rough life on the streets. [emoji]128533[/emoji]