Is my pregnant cat nesting?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! [emoji]128533[/emoji]

Can you get on a payment plan of so much per month with the vet?

Can your parents help and you pledge to pay them back?

Is it a spay she needs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think so, yes. My parents don't have the money to pay, we already don't pay for electricity and water half the time. I don't either. This is all my fault.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is NOT your fault!

When can the vet perform the surgery? Can he go ahead and do it with your promise to pay?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He said the antibiotics aren't working and the infection is still there, sinxe she bled today and isn't adequately eating.

I'll ask him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do! It sounds like she needs surgery as soon as possible. Poor thing must feel just terrible. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can set up a gofundme page or paypal account to see if you can get some donations? Ask friends and family? Find a rescue group in your area that might help? Every little bit counts. I know how it is. My husband was freaking out this month because of vet bills too.
Poor thing. You have such a good heart someone is bound to help.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can set up a gofundme page or paypal account to see if you can get some donations? Ask friends and family? Find a rescue group in your area that might help? Every little bit counts. I know how it is. My husband was freaking out this month because of vet bills too.
Poor thing. You have such a good heart someone is bound to help.
Gofundme doesn't work for the Middle east area and we don't have rescue groups here. My friends are probably more broke than I am or don't care enough.

I can't let her die, I just have no idea how to get the money.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll go tomorrow morning because they close now. More school to miss. :/

But I'm confused. I read all over the internet that a little bleeding a few days after birth (especially the first birth) is normal for a cat. It's only been 2 days and she only bled a little. Why did the vet instantly tell me on the phone she needs surgery when I told him she bled?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, this is interesting. Cats do bleed and spot for up to 7-10 days after giving birth while the uterus heals.

She may not need surgery right away after all. The vet cannot say without examining her. You may be better off to wait.

How is her fever today? Is she eating a little?

Last edited:

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think she's had fever. I didn't give her Profinal because she seemed fine and I gave her Suprax an hour ago (after the bleeding). She ate a little but not much. If I give her fish she'll eat right away, but I can't do that since she'll stop eating anything else. She's nursing the kittens now.

The problem is I have to skip school tomorrow to take her to the vet and my mom won't be okay with that because I missed a lot already and my supervisor doesn't take "my pet's life is in danger" as an excuse.

One more question. Could a kitten suck too hard on a nipple or scratch it by mistake? Because all her nipples are fine except one which has a reddened tip. (Not normal nursing red, dark red)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
zahraa zahraa

The nipple probably got scratched. You can apply olive oil to it to soothe it. It will heal.

Although fish is not the best for cats, if that is what she will eat most of, then give it to her. She needs to eat and stay strong for nursing.

I see no reason for the vet tomorrow. If she has no fever, then the antibiotic is working. The blood was from her uterus healing, and sounds normal to me.

I suggest you hold off taking her to the vet again until the antibiotics are finished and her uterus has healed.

You should attend school and catch up on your studies in the meantime! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the vet again and cleared up that the bleeding wasn't excessive and she does eat certain things and hasn't COMPLETELY held off food, turns out he misunderstood. I did get a little irritated by him though, I said that I'm unable to take her tomorrow and he said that it depends on me and whether I care about her or not, that if she means a lot to me I wouldn't be reluctant. Like, I wouldn't take her to the vet 4 times in two weeks and skip two days of school if I didn't care about her. I would rather sell my kidney than let her die, but not all people have 250$ and transportation for a 1 hour drive on demand.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
zahraa zahraa

The nipple probably got scratched. You can apply olive oil to it to soothe it. It will heal.

Although fish is not the best for cats, if that is what she will eat most of, then give it to her. She needs to eat and stay strong for nursing.

I see no reason for the vet tomorrow. If she has no fever, then the antibiotic is working. The blood was from her uterus healing, and sounds normal to me.

I suggest you hold off taking her to the vet again until the antibiotics are finished and her uterus has healed.

You should attend school and catch up on your studies in the meantime! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Thank you very much, I think I'll do that! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pay no attention to the vet's words. His remarks were rude and unprofessional.

Though you may have panicked at the sight of the blood, it does not necessarily mean she needs to go in, nor should the vet suggest you are uncaring.

Let his words roll off your back, and carry on! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet again and cleared up that the bleeding wasn't excessive and she does eat certain things and hasn't COMPLETELY held off food, turns out he misunderstood. I did get a little irritated by him though, I said that I'm unable to take her tomorrow and he said that it depends on me and whether I care about her or not, that if she means a lot to me I wouldn't be reluctant. Like, I wouldn't take her to the vet 4 times in two weeks and skip two days of school if I didn't care about her. I would rather sell my kidney than let her die, but not all people have 250$ and transportation for a 1 hour drive on demand.
Not having a lot of extra money doesn't mean you don't care about her pet!  I don't have an extra $250.  If one of my boys needed surgery, I don't know how I would come up with the money, either.  I probably would be trying to figure out how to sell a kidney on the black market.  You only need one to live, right?  Haha.  On a more serious note, the vet should not have said that.  Antibiotics take time to work.  They don't kill an infection overnight.  If you didn't love Cheetos, you wouldn't be working so hard to make sure she's ok.

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! There was more blood today and I tried my best to tell myself it was normal. What I learned from this experience is that I'm extremely squeamish about blood. [emoji]128514[/emoji]

She's nursing her babies right now. Jesus, they grow so fast. The last born is the biggest. Once she leaves the box to walk around I'll take pictures of them. I wouldn't want her freaking out and hiding them under the couch again.

She is eating, just not canned food. She only eats canned food when we hand feed her piece by piece. Weirdo.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear that the kittens are doing well!

How much blood is it?

zahraa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a little, she licked it right away. I didn't see it but my mother did.