Introduction problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do only have two boxes at the moment. I know all the standard thinking on the subject - indeed I always advise people to have one more box than they do cats. It's simply that it seems a little pointless to have 2 boxes out when one is consistently ignored :lol3: In this case, the open box hasn't had so much as a paw print in it for at least a month now. It just seems a bit silly to keep it there if no one wants it. I think it helps that I work at home, so the box tends to get cleaned as soon as it's been used (or as soon as I notice..and I check it each time I pass by).

Yeah, it's a great feeling that Asha and Shadow are getting on now. He asked me for a game this morning - something he hasn't done for years. Asha's definitely brought out the kitten in him :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. It just seems a bit silly to keep it there if no one wants it. I think it helps that I work at home, so the box tends to get cleaned as soon as it's been used (or as soon as I notice..and I check it each time I pass by).

:
I removed a litter box that no one used too! And, I have five cats. My four litter boxes are all downstairs now. I am home on and off all day so they also get scooped and checked often. Almost as soon as one goes, it get scooped out. :lol3: :lol2: So for people like us who scoop often, then I don't think the number of litter boxes is so important. I am called a "SCOOP-A-HOLIC". :bigwink:

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
 I am called a "SCOOP-A-HOLIC".
   @Feralvr, when I saw this, this immediately came to mind. the 'scoop scoop' song (well, with a bit of imagination... and I guess 'kiss' has to be replaced with 'litterbox' which doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but somehow it works for me
).

And to prevent having to report myself for being hopelessly off-topic I'll say yes, I used to have four litterboxes but have removed two due to an acute lack of interest!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 I am called a "SCOOP-A-HOLIC". :bigwink:
   @Feralvr
, when I saw this, this immediately came to mind. the 'scoop scoop' song (well, with a bit of imagination... and I guess 'kiss' has to be replaced with 'litterbox' which doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but somehow it works for me :D ).
:flail: :crackup: I am going to play this during my SCOOPINGS........... :lol: Thanks for the laugh. :D :clap:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well...I've done it. This is officially a 2 cat, 1 box house :cross:

Asha and Shadow are doing great now, ands Asha's even stopped beating up the dogs :) The other day I found Leah nose to nose with her, gently wagging away (as labs do), and all Asha did was give a grumpy meow :jaw: :clap: Both dogs will pass her in the corridor now too, and last night she ran straight underneath Pixie (tail to nose) on her way upstairs :lol3: I don't think he even noticed!

There's another unexpected by product of Asha's presence - Shadow has decided to swap his beloved 'junk food' for Asha's healthy, species appropriate food :banana1: :hyper: :jaw: I never thought I'd get him eating decent food. Okay...he won't touch the raw, but that's ok. Good quality wet is fine by me :nod:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is such great news.  It's like you can finally breathe a sigh of relief.  When I was working with Jake and Marvin it was such painstakingly slow progress.  Yet once it happened, it was onward and upward.  One day I finally realized I could breath and not worry about someone getting hurt. 

Yea for Asha, Shadow and the dogs!!  One box is incredible!!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:D I know I've been really lucky compared to many. A lot of the credit has to go to Shad for being totally unflappable and remaining the perfect gentleman throughout Asha's anxieties. We have been really careful too - and, wow, has it paid off! Asha spent almost all day downstairs with the rest of the gang, while I was upstairs playing with beads ;)She knows she's part of the family now :nod: :9:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's time for a banana dance! What great, great news and the best update. WOW. Things are really HAPPY over at your place. SO.......... :banana1: :dance: :woohoo: :banana2: :jive: :jump: :banana1: :lovegrin:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know. She's never going to match Shad's size...even though she does eat almost as much as him!

They were so cute the other night. Shad was trying to play pounce her around the sofa. She skittered away slightly, and he ran through to the dining room (bouncing off the wall as he made the turn) and started shouting, just like he used to do when he wanted Cali to come and play chase with him. I never thought I'd see that behaviour from Shadow again. Asha gradually got closer to the dining room, but didn't quite dare take him up on the invitation. I've got a feeling that she will one day, though :cross:

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An unbelievable development - Asha and Shadow are starting to play with each other :eek2: :woohoo: :dance: :clap: :hobbes: :woo: :jive: :banana1: :banana2: :party4: :clap2: :D
(You'd never guess I'm a little bit excited about this, would you ;) ).

They're not confident together yet, but they kept inviting each other to play, pounced/chased a little and almost wrestled together! It was definitely all play based (as opposed to challenging each other) - body language, expressions, vocalisations all fitted their respective 'play' behaviour. I was playing with them both (using the flying frenzy - uk made single piece pole da bird...attachments are interchangeable - and various herbal toys), and they kept moving away from the toys in favour of each other...before losing their nerve and heading back to their toys of choice again. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'm now certain we'll have wrestling matches and chases through the house in the future :D :D :D

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might find that the kids prefer each other over the flying frenzy toy. This is good news. Just watch out I have had the same here and every once in a while I will be walking through the house and get "ran over" by a couple of the kids chasing each other. I think you have given new life into your kids life by adopting your new addition.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, Shadow and Cali used to run us over/trip us up every so often. Shadow hasn't had play with another cat since Cali got ill...it must be at least 18 months now, maybe as much as 2 years (and even then, the play wasn't as active as it had previously been). Asha's definitely giving Shadow a second youth...and he's loving every minute :D

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An unbelievable development - Asha and Shadow are starting to play with each other

(You'd never guess I'm a little bit excited about this, would you
).

They're not confident together yet, but they kept inviting each other to play, pounced/chased a little and almost wrestled together! It was definitely all play based (as opposed to challenging each other) - body language, expressions, vocalisations all fitted their respective 'play' behaviour. I was playing with them both (using the flying frenzy - uk made single piece pole da bird...attachments are interchangeable - and various herbal toys), and they kept moving away from the toys in favour of each other...before losing their nerve and heading back to their toys of choice again. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'm now certain we'll have wrestling matches and chases through the house in the future
This is such good news!!  I remember when Jake and Marvin started to play.  I was so nervous watching them thinking it would turn to fighting.  It was a sight to see!  Yea for Asha  and Shadow!!!

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An unbelievable development - Asha and Shadow are starting to play with each other

(You'd never guess I'm a little bit excited about this, would you
).

They're not confident together yet, but they kept inviting each other to play, pounced/chased a little and almost wrestled together! It was definitely all play based (as opposed to challenging each other) - body language, expressions, vocalisations all fitted their respective 'play' behaviour. I was playing with them both (using the flying frenzy - uk made single piece pole da bird...attachments are interchangeable - and various herbal toys), and they kept moving away from the toys in favour of each other...before losing their nerve and heading back to their toys of choice again. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'm now certain we'll have wrestling matches and chases through the house in the future
I wonder what you count as not confident together? As if they are playing together then they are confident together Cats will not buddy with another cat 24/7 they will play then go off and be by themselves then when they want will come back and play again. Cats are more solitary than buddy buddy. I think what you count as not confident is this solitary life of the cats which is normal. Your cats have created a friendship very quickly which is not normally for some cats. It all depends on how you introduced them together.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I said they're not confident together, I was referring specifically to their play. They're perfectly confident in general interactions now...they're not now, nor do I ever epect them to be snuggle buddies; Shadow never snuggled with his brother once out of kittenhood, so snuggling with Asha is highly unlikely. What I'm getting at is simply that they play in very different ways, and they're still working out exactly how to play with each other. You have to bear in mind that Shadow is literally twice Asha's size, and he's never played with such a small cat. He knows she started out scared of him, and I think he's trying to get her to play without spooking her. I'm sure they'll get there in the end, though :)

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a big gray and a tortoiseshell.It is kinda day by day.

They have lived in my small abode for few years ..the gray boy was first.

Now he grooms his sister,though she never grooms him.And they cohabitate pretty well,although still get a

grumble or two and they have never really went at each other like street cats do.