Introduction problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If that's cracking you up, you'll love this: I was at the yard. Mum had just fed both cats (Asha upstairs and Shadow downstairs). As soon as she'd finished, Asha went back down to 'help' mum in the kitchen. Mum looked round, and Shadow and Asha were stood nose to nose, sniffing each other. Asha decided she couldn't cope with this, and took a flying leap over Shadow, and ran off :crackup: I just wish I'd seen his face....

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. Asha decided she couldn't cope with this, and took a flying leap over Shadow, and ran off :crackup: I just wish I'd seen his face....
that a GIRL!!!!!!!!!! NO OBSTACLE to big, large enough to stop from moving forward. Just go over it !!!!!!!!!! :lol3: :lol2: I bet Shadow thinks she is something out of this world. :lol:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All Shadow wants is to make friends...poor little grey boy. She'll get there eventually.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you do not have to worry about Asha and Shadow. They are friends already. As they would not have been nose to nose if they were not friends. Have you ever seen kids act up when they know they are being watched it happens with animals too. The cats are trying to get you to play favorites is why they act up when you are watching. You have to be careful not the treat one cat over the other. If you always "punish" one cat when you think they are "fighting" to agressive then you will have problems. When cats play they play hard and at times will appear to be hurting the other cat when in fact they are the best of friends. You have to listen to the way they sound. They will have a different meow or yowl when they are being hurt and not playing.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All Shadow wants is to make friends...poor little grey boy. She'll get there eventually.
:bigwink: YES - and she will get there with such grace and athleticism. ;) :D I am feeling a love thing going on between Shad and Asha :itslove: and a little bit of this too :seesaw: on her part. BUT overall, I really think it is one happy furkid family in the making. :bigthumb:

K kstonya added a good point above too. BOY when cats are playing hard it truly can sound like a killer of a fight when according to their language - it is just fun and games. Of course, in the beginning stages and weeks to follow of a new cat introduction, it can be quite scary and uncertain as to whether this is truly play or fight. I always air on the side of "play" and getting to know each other's limits. They are naturally going to test the boundaries and really, that is the only way they can become closer and more trusting. Still - can be tough to read on our parts, for sure. :nod:

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm well used to the sounds of a cat play fight - and the resulting clumps of fur all over the rugs :rolleyes:

In this instance Shadow is absolutely silent (he's never been very vocal apart from his extra loud purr). Asha, on the other hand, is the most talkative cat I've ever known in my life - and mum says the same. When confronted with Shadow up close (he does so like walking right up to her and just looking softly at her) she will hiss a bit, and kind of growl but it's more melodious - almost like a cross between a meow and a growl. She never acts on it with him, it's just that she doesn't know how to respond to him. A lot of her hisses are over her shoulder as she runs away :lol3:

I'm not worried at all about fighting - if Shad wanted to attack he'd have done it by now - I'm more concerned about Shad getting stressed, simply because he's never had to deal with a cat he hasn't grown up with before. It's simply that he sometimes looks really uncertain, and gets unsettled by her. We're just concious he's an old man now, and don't want to set anything off (health wise, that is). He's never been hissed at before!

Mum's anxious about physical play (not that it seems likely at the moment) simply because Shad is so much bigger than Asha. He must be around 14lbs (chunky, cobby british blue shorthair), where Asha's just under 8lbs. He could do damage without meaning to (obviously, he and his brother were pretty well matched in terms of size/weight).

Anyway, Asha had a check - up and 2nd vaccinations at the vets today. Poor little girl peed herself on the drive up. The waiting room was packed this morning - full of dogs barking and growling. It sounded as though there was a full blown dog fight in progress (there wasn't). By the time we saw the vet Asha was shaking like crazy, and burrowed into me once out of the carrier (one of the techs took it to clean up for us). She was a good girl though, and she was so happy to get home again - I've never heard a purr like it from her :heart3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mum's anxious about physical play (not that it seems likely at the moment) simply because Shad is so much bigger than Asha. He must be around 14lbs (chunky, cobby british blue shorthair), where Asha's just under 8lbs. He could do damage without meaning to (obviously, he and his brother were pretty well matched in terms of size/weight).

Anyway, Asha had a check - up and 2nd vaccinations at the vets today. Poor little girl peed herself on the drive up. The waiting room was packed this morning - full of dogs barking and growling. It sounded as though there was a full blown dog fight in progress (there wasn't). By the time we saw the vet Asha was shaking like crazy, and burrowed into me once out of the carrier (one of the techs took it to clean up for us). She was a good girl though, and she was so happy to get home again - I've never heard a purr like it from her :heart3:
Don't let size fool you!!! My Pipsqueak was only 8 pounds and my other cats are all almost 15 pounds. Pipsqueak RULED the roost around here. He was 8 pounds of holy moly terror if he wanted to be or needed to be. Little cats can be pretty darn tough when need be and I really think it is the energy they give off and the confidence they exude that shines through and Asha certainly sounds like she has all that and more from your descriptions!! :D

I saw an interesting program on Animal Planet last night called "Everything you ever wanted to know about Animals". It was about the Caracal Cats - desert cats. I never knew of such a breed of wild cat and they are incredibly tough for their small size. Reminded me of my Pipsqueak. :lol3: These cats can jump into the air from a stand still to about 10 to 15 feet. They are also called the flying cat. Some farmer's are wanting them on their property to ward off jackal's that are killing their sheep. The Caracal cat can fight off JACKAL'S and more than one at that. They are astonishingly tough and brazen AND smart. It was pretty amazing. SO - size may not matter in the world of felines needing to defend themselves.

Caracal's are so beautiful and look at those ears!!

AWWWW Poor Asha. Sounds like my Perla. She always pees in her crate on the way to the vet. :shame: I always feel so bad for her and it is quite the stressful event. When we get home, she plops on the cold tile floor cooling herself and PURRS like crazy too. Calming herself and saying "Thank you for bringing me back home to safety". :heart2: Your bond with Asha is growing much stronger now.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! Those ears are amazing - and such a striking, unusual cat :nod: Almost like the missing link between big cats and our lovely domestics. Don't think I'd want one in the house though :lol3:

Good to know that weight isn't a big issue. It's not that Asha can't defend herself - it was more that, if they ever do get close enough to play together, Shad might hurt her without meaning to ( given that he's used to wrestling with another 14lb-er).

Asha's hating that I'm at the yard every afternoon now (mum's done her back in shifting hay bales, so I've taken over everything - I'm not really fit enough to (as in a long list of chronic, and largely untreatable, health issues), but I have no choice right now. Will probably collapse in a heap once she's healed :lol: ). As soon as I get back she's straight onto my lap and doesn't move...unless she wants feeding, that is ;) She's being very understanding about fewer and shorter play sessions, bless her. Mind you, one of her current favourite games is killing the rug by my bed :lol3: I'm fine with it - just so long as she's happy :heart3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mind you, one of her current favourite games is killing the rug by my bed :lol3: I'm fine with it - just so long as she's happy :heart3:
:lol3: I have a rug in the house that gets a workout by being attacked by my Wendall. He has some fascination with this rug and sees things that I just cannot see near that rug.

AWWW - Asha IS truly happy, for sure. And, yes, that makes us happy too. You take GOOD care of yourself with your health issues and hope you did not overdo it the other day! Your kitties need their momma to dote on them and spoil them, ya know. :lol3: ;)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just had to post about this:-

I was playing with Asha tonight with her beloved feather waggler toy (probably the cheapest toy she has, but she adores it :lol3: ). Shadow appeared at my bedroom door, and wanted to join in. I moved to the doorway and played with Shad, then Asha, then Shad etc :jaw: Ok, so Asha moved herself back a bit to put maybe 2-3 feet between her and Shadow, and Shad hid round the corner in the corridor a bit (all the better for a 'surprise' attack on the feathers), but to me this is huge :D Not just that they were playing so close, but that they happily took turns, and that Shad (at 13) was excited enough to play at all! Afterwards, he chased a herby toy (can't remember if its catnip, valerian or 'power mix' blend - I have a load of them and no longer know which is which) all the way downstairs, and Asha chased her furry squeaky mouse up and down the corridor.

The only fly in the ointment is that Asha went downstairs a bit later, and Shad was majorly riled up chasing this toy around. Asha had no clue what to make of it and got scared - Shad's tail was thrashing like crazy because he was so into his game. Asha ended up getting spooked, and mum had to help her get back to the stairs. Never mind - no harm done (I hope).

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not to rain on your parade, but cats don't usually play together, they're not wired that way. They take turns instinctively. 
 Obviously it's still a good thing, though! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did say they were taking turns ;)

I don't expect them to literally play with each other :lol: What I was getting at was that they felt confident enough to play in such close proximity to each other.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This IS another huge leap forward in developing good relations with Shad and Asha!!! And, you know what!! My cats take turns playing with the wand toys! Funny - but true. Perkins and Presley would usually play together. THEN, Perla's turn, and the boys would stay back to watch. THEN Walden's turn, and then back to Perkins and Presley. I think the cats, in their mind, are just as interested and entertained to watch the others play and attack the prey as they are joining in.

And don't worry about the after effects of them hyped up from interactive play. They carry on with feeling elated and excited. It sounds to me that Shad is very, very happy and Asha was overstimulated and excited too and didn't quite know how to deal but surely this is another step closer to them becoming trusting of each other and building a bond!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're right - I was in the kitchen prepping food for them both. No one else was in the house. I'm sure I heard Shadow purring at Asha! (He doesn't usually purr when I'm prepping food, and his and Asha's purrs are very different so I know it was him). :jive: I think things are going as well as we could have hoped for at this stage.

On another note - Asha found our 'indoor tree' yesterday. She shouted and shouted when she'd got up there - I'm sure she was saying 'look at me - I'm so clever!' I had to move her cat tree in front of the ladder so she had a safe route down (Shad used to take flying leaps from the top, and ended up with permenant tendon/ligament damage :rolleyes: ). Just for a sense of perspective, the cat tree is 2m tall.

Please ignore the mess :anon:

Last edited:

diesse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really wouldn't worry too much.  I have 7 cats following the sad death of my Mum in March.  I have had to incorporate her elderly male cat into a household of 6 cats all rescued and 3 semi ferals ageing from 4 years to 18.  3 males and 3 females.  I was really worried as one of them is a cat which was brought back from Greece and he can be a little horror.  Took a bit of time but to be honest, you are doing a lot more than I did.  I had Mums cat upstairs (who always hated other cats and was a fighter).  I took him out on a harness in the evenings to make sure that if he did get out or run scared, he knew the territory.  They don't wear collars but with him being new, I had a collar with my address on him until I was happy that he knew where he was.  He has now integrated and lives downstairs with the others on a permanent basis.  I have a small house so they are quite on top of each other but they are allowed to go out during the day which helps.  I have a Feliway plugged in and I believe that this has helped.  I   also had a spray bottle full of water at the ready and used it when things became a little heated.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had my brother install shelving all the way around my living room and he make a tunnel into my bedroom and put some shelves in there for them to get down to my bed. I have a few cat trees that I have put at different locations in the living room so the cats can climb up and down. I will find the different cats chasing each other around the shelves and teasing each other. Several times I will see them "fighting" and playing around. Each cat has its own bowl and I will find the cats raiding someone elses bowl if I dont get to their bowl fast enough. I have tried never to have only 1 cat as with 2 they can play and keep each other entertained.

Your kids have adjusted and probably you will see a lot of fun times with them from now on.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!! What a fun kitty house you have !!!!! No wonder she is so happy in her new life. :high5: Thanks so much for sharing !!! :bigthumb:

This morning's breakfast - another first
:woohoo: :jive: :hyper: :D
:banana1: :jump: :banana2: Well - will wonders never cease. I LOVE this.

p.s. I have a picture of Wendall and Perla eating a couple of feet apart on a counter. It only took about four years to get to that point, mind you. YES - I am a very, very patient and tolerant woman. :lol3: ;) :lol:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think patience is essential with animals :lol3: It must've been extra special when Wendall and Perla finally did eat together.

I have to say that Asha mostly wants to eat alone still. In some ways that's easier for me, as it means Shad get to enjoy his 'junk food' without corrupting Asha ;) She's being a great influence on his eating habits though - he used to refuse almost all 'healthy' food, but since he's seen Asha getting it he's demanding it too some of the time :jaw: :woo:

I think Asha's been good for him. He wanted to play again a couple of days ago, so I went and got my big feather stick. He went nuts for it - chasing round after it like a kitten, all fluffed up and big eyed. You'd never have guessed he was 13! Asha was around too, so they took turns again, but she was more fascinated by Shadow's play than by the toy! It was so sweet.

Since then, I think Asha's developing a bit of a crush/ hero worship with Shad. Last night she was just following him around and sitting gazing at him :heart3: ...and helping herself to his leftovers after he was done eating :lol3:

I'd eventually like the two of them to be totally comfortable together (Asha's still a bit wary sometimes), but I think we can say they're fully integrated now :D

Glad you like the house, btw. We've never done a lot of 'catifying' because we think it's pretty good as it is - 2 ladders to climb, foot deep windowsills...We just added a few cat condos/trees and a couple of beds and left it at that.

I think I am going to remove Asha's first litterbox this week - she hasn't set paw in it for a month, so I'm taking the view that it's not needed. I keep the big box very clean, so I don't anticipate problems.

I just feel so lucky that the integration has gone so well :nod: :9:

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? I was reading that if you have more than 1 cat you need 1 more litter box than number of cats. I have 5 cats and have 3 litter boxes so I don't have that many but I would suggest that you keep at least 2 litter boxes. What I have done is keep the litter refreshed where needed if the cat is not using the box then only change that litter when it gets soiled. I have one cat that likes the cover on the litter box and the others cats will use either one with and without the cover.

It sounds like you have made successfully introduced these cats and have a wonderful family.