indoor or outdoor kitty?????whats best!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
as for dogs and cats...comparing the two is mad..cats rule...dogs drool...lol
I would never compare a cat to a dog! Not fair to the dog! But certain principles do apply to both animals.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point; neither is it fair to judge people whose circumstances move them to keep their cats indoors.
i take all your imput on this matter and respect it,but wolves,bobcats...snakes????non are really an issue in my country..
Yes, it's a jungle out there.
But there are dangerous creatures in all parts of the world... even England has poisonous spiders, no? But of course that doesn't mean that these dangerous animals automatically make a beeline for the nearest cat. And all of the animals that Callista mentioned naturally try to avoid humans (though there is an occasional run-in, but very rare), so they aren't so much of a threat as they might seem. That said, yes they will prey on cats and other animals when convenient.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just went and reread this whole thread, and I wonder if the title is responsible for some of responses here. It's posed as a question, as if to invite debate and general conversation; but what you really wanted was feedback relating specifically to your own situation and anecdotes regarding how other people have handled this decision and why. Am I understanding correctly? If so, there's nothing wrong with that at all, but the way the title is written might explain the "tuff crowd".

IMHO you do seem to have the right circumstances in which to let your cat outdoors if you so choose, as you make it clear you have an enclosed backyard, cat-friendly neighbors, no predators and little traffic--just be wary of toxins/accidental poisoning; but if your cat is going to be staying 100% in your yard, even that shouldn't be much of a risk if you are aware of what plants or items should be kept out of their reach. As mentioned earlier, do what you can to prevent or minimize risk, as nothing is risk-free.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just went and reread this whole thread, and I wonder if the title is responsible for some of responses here. It's posed as a question, as if to invite debate and general conversation
Agree. 

I have no wild animals, traffic and aside from the occasional (deadly) snake live in a low risk area. Still wouldn't be letting my pets out without an enclosure or cat proof yard. 

And I live in a country where allowing cats to roam was the norm, things are changing however with more and more owners being responsible and containing their cats. Indoor cats are now very common over here. 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually prefer my cats to be indoors cats. Bella and Thunder are very happy cats . They love to look outside  and see other cats on my patio. I know they would love to go outside but we just let them know it's more safer for them inside where they can get fed and stay warm.We give them alot of food, love, hugs and kisses.

dejolane

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
noi really don't..go back and read the messages before commenting...the only wild life we really have is fox's...but thats in the countryside...or on the outskirts of towns near to countrysides...i'm no where near any of those areas...so yer cats can be attacked or killed my fox's..but not where i live they won't be..

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
nope..no spiders attacks here in england either..lol

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foxes don't tend to kill cats here either, they're timid and will run away generally. We have them everywhere in the suburbs, towns and country. 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're truly lucky, Stella. In most of the world, it really isn't safe for domestic cats outdoors. Sometimes those of us who aren't so lucky will forget that and assume that things are as dangerous for everyone else's cats as they would be for ours. You may find you have to explain to them that your situation is unusual in that there is little or no danger from wildlife, cars, disease, or poisons; otherwise they might think that you are letting your cat out in the sort of area that I live in, where a cat's life is in danger anytime it steps outside the threshold.

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this is not the case...its not un-usual here in the uk at all...my mum had a cat and lived my a railway station and a main road and her cat lived til it was 16 yrs..i just find alot of people do not give these animals enough credit at all..they arn't dogs..not babies..but technicaly domesticated wild cats we are lucky enough to touch....they still have the instinct to hunt,climb...chase etc...

but i am lucky we don't have any wild animals in my area at all...and we live a good way from a busy road and we have no ferral cats or wild dogs running around drooling and frothing at the mouth....

but sadly some people don't understand i don't live in area's remotely like thiers.....if i did then i totaly would keep my cat indoors..infact i'm not sure a cat would be best to have at all if it was under threat by so many things......and i'd also be nervous of leaving the house myself incase i got eating my wolves or bit by a spider..sounds awful...but my cat will be totaly safe outdoors..once he has been neutered and kept indoors for a few mths...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe XD. Sounds like we're all gonna die from being eaten by wolves :tongue2:. There are venomous spiders in the UK too, not like that's an American thing. But spiders live indoors as much as outdoors so I don't consider that an outdoor danger. I find that, other than coyotes (who will eat anything that fits into their mouths, and like nothing better than a nice fat housecat :(), wild animals and cats usually ignore each other.

There are dangers everywhere. Nothing is totally safe. My parents have always had indoor/outdoor cats, and none have died of outdoor related causes, despite them hearing coyotes yipping nearby every evening and living about 300 feet from a highway. But other people I've known have lost cats to cars, poison, dogs/wild animals, cranky neighbors, rotten kids, etc., and even street-wise ferals meet with accidents fairly regularly. I think a risk/benefit analysis has to be considered on an individual basis, and I do get annoyed by the knee-jerk "keep 'em all inside" mentality, but it is important to recognize the risks you're taking. Hopefully your boy will keep safe and live a long happy life, like my family's indoor/outdoor cats always have.

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the point is being missed that many of the dangers out there are not active threats. They are things that might happen and that owners need to take into account. You yourself have experience with that, since your mother's cat was never killed by a train or car, despite the proximity of the railway and road. Please stop thinking that the rest of the world is a war zone of sorts.

Also keep in mind that some of the people that have given advice here have lost pets to a premature, preventable death and are speaking with the voice of experience. Perhaps the way their feelings changed on the subject can only be understood by living through a similar experience (in other words, learning the hard way). Callista made an excellent point above. When we take any type of animal into our homes, we are totally responsible for it--no matter how intelligent or capable that animal is. We have a responsibility to protect them from dangers that they cannot foresee, and it is a terrible feeling for a pet owner to look back and realize they failed or were negligent, even in cases in which they assumed their pet would be totally safe, as Jenny Ranson kindly explained above.

And that's what worries me. You do seem to have the right kind of circumstances to consider letting your kitty outside, but you keep repeating the idea that it will be "totally safe." No one can know such a thing with absolute certainty, and to believe it sets one up for a rude awakening. The cats that live long lives outdoors are the lucky ones; it is not the norm by any means. For instance, even though your neighbors are cat friendly, what guarantee is there that someone won't accidentally leave out a poisonous substance? Or that your cat won't ingest poison from an unknown source? Even though traffic on your road is slow, what guarantee is there that a car will never come into contact with your cat? All it takes is one car and bad timing. Please accept that these do constitute dangers, small or otherwise. I don't know if you are thinking of letting your cat outside of your yard to explore the neighborhood (I don't believe you have said so explicitly), but there are several reasons why keeping him inside your yard is the more responsible choice, and your cat will probably never know the difference anyway.

And just for the record, no one here has said cats are like dogs. What I actually said was that certain principles apply to both--if I don't want my neighbor's dog running through my yard or pooping in my garden, neither do I want his cat doing it. There are lots of reasons why someone might not want either animal on their property, and those wishes should be respected.

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i do agree with alot that has been said..but no..once again we do not have dangerous wild life...i think its very mean that your not actualie taking my choice of out door cats into consideration...you all jump down my throat..i do understand some of you have lost your kitty's..and i'm sure this is what makes you so very scared of letting your cats move without your knowing it....but cats enjoy the outdoors..just as much as they like a warm dry home with a great menu too....but these are not our possessions..and a responsible pet owner has thier cat neutered and vacsinated..regulary de-fleas and de-worms them...not locks them away for the rest of thier days if they feel the area they live is safe for thier cats to venture out in...i don't doubt for a second that some cats need to be kept inside..or can not go out due to a million things..but we don't all have that problem...and i think my point are as valid for letting my cat outside as yours are for keeping them in...

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thankyou...thats all i was saying...if i did live in an area with dangerous wild life and ferral cats or killer spiders..i just wouldn't get a cat at all...cos i dont like locking any animal away forever..its why i won't have a rabbit or a bird at all..they are cute cuddly toys we play with..they are living beings with needs and souls too...not every cat will be an outdoor cat..hey my cat may choose to be inside more then out...either way its still got more freedom then alot of other animals..

i'm not running a zoo...its my cats home and he will come and go as he please's in time....i have a cat flap..so if he wants in..he can..or out he can..

think we all have valid points on here...but live in totaly different part of the world which i seem to be the only one who understands and respects that...alot of you seem to think if its like that were you are then its like that in the rest of the world...and sorry guys..its really really not...if you came here to live you would find that having a cat here is not about making sure every single door and window is shut tight incase our cat escapes...and is eaten or ran over..it would be quite the eye opener..

as for disease's..we have our cats vacsinated,and i will be de-fleaing and de-worming my cat every 12 weeks..have done so with other cats i've had....all lived long healthy lives...only ever going vets once for spaying and neutering?????.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I don't really think it's necessarily more dangerous here. Of course different neighborhoods have different dangers but in general I think the same dangers are present everywhere. I think it's mostly about different attitudes. The anti-cat people have worked hard to make people think that all cats should be kept indoors, and people buy it. In the UK even the bird societies are far more tolerant of outdoor cats.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
once again we do not have dangerous wild life...i think its very mean that your not actualie taking my choice of out door cats into consideration...you all jump down my throat..
I apologize if I came across as mean; that is not my intention at all. It's difficult to indicate tone when typing, but I believe that if you can't state your case without being sarcastic, rude or judgmental, then you don't have a strong case and shouldn't inflict it upon others.
I know there were some strong responses on the first page of this thread, but no one in the last 2 days has said anything mean to you. Do give us some credit!

You do have some valid points regarding your cats, you've made it clear that you live in a peaceful area, and that wildlife is not much of a concern. Some of us have acknowledged those points several times... no worries, we do understand.
Just keep in mind that there still are some risks out there... go with your eyes open; that's all we're trying to say.

Also, I totally agree with you about the birds and rabbits.

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all indoor cats feel "locked away" as you put it.  I've had 2 indoor only cats that would walk to the INSIDE side of the door when it was opened, making sure they didn't find themselves outside. Just wanted you to know that some cats prefer the indoors and choose not to go out. Mine are not locked in at all, they love it in here.

santanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
our cats are both indoor and outdoor. during the day they come in and out and often tell us what they want. they love the outside but come inside whenever they want. it's a bit more maintence but they love too play and excercize outside and are able to come in when they get tired or hungry. they seem to like it.

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stella123,
I hope you aren't offended by the people who favor indoor. I work at a cat shelter/ cat care , and boy does it open your eyes as to what can and does happen to outdoor kitties even in really pretty safe areas. It breaks my heart when people bring in these sick, lost, or injured cats, and ALOT of the time
Someone picks them up because they seem stray and hungry. I won't go into the details of how bad some of these cats are when we get them. At least be sure and get them microchipped and a " break-away" collar with your info on a sturdy tag, if they are going to be in and outdoor.

Status
Not open for further replies.