indoor or outdoor kitty?????whats best!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always kept my cats indoors, after my first childhood pet got eaten by a dog. We lived in a neighborhood, and she went into the yard of another neighbor who had two huskie dogs who tore her apart. 

So not all cats know how to take care of themselves.

The cats we had after that we used to bring out on supervised visits to the backyard (on long leads so that they could explore the yard but not leave the yard). They were perfectly happy with this.

Since I've been an independent adult, I've had two cats who were totally indoors, and were completely fine with that. My current cat I've had for over a year now, used to be a feral, but is perfectly happy staying in a nice warm apartment and watching birds etc from a window. I play wth him every day so he does not get bored. He's timid of new stuff and I think even if I were to give him the opportunity to go outside now, I don't think he'd want to go out. (I wouldn't anyway, as we live in town by a busy roadway). My downstairs neighbor also has an indoor /outdoor cat. I've heard him crying late at night when it's very cold out and he's been locked outside, and I've seen him darting out from under parked cars into the roadway. I am just waiting to find him killed one day (I hope I'm wrong). Another outdoor cat that lived nearby was found recently. He had poked his head out from a driveway into the road way and got smacked by a passing car and was killed. Very sad.

I am of the opinion that cats should be kept indoors unless you can make a safe cat space that is outdoors - an enclosed yard that he cannot get out of for example, or like a preserve type area where the chance of danger is minimal and the cat is smart enough not to wander too far.

Most of the indoor / outdoor cats I've known were killed at some point or else disappeared and were never found. .There were exceptions though. I can think of two off hand that seemed to do OK.

I don't think cats are children; they are animals. But they live in a mostly human environment. I would not let a dog wander around unsupervised wherever he wanted to go either. But even wild animals get hit by cars, poisoned, or eaten by predators.

But you obviously have already made your mind up. Good luck with your new cat. I hope everything works out for you.

Last edited:

chrisso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess we all have to make the choice based on our own circumstances and values. 

In most places cats are definitely going to be exposed to more danger if let outside. There's always a chance of them getting run over or attacked by other animals/people - just because you've had cats all your life and it hasn't happened, doesn't mean the risk isn't there. Especially with kittens I could imagine them getting into some sticky situations, their brains aren't fully developed yet and I'm guessing would take more risk compared to an older cat. 

Keeping your cat indoors isn't cruel. A cat can have a very fulfilling life kept inside so long as they have enough things to do, and if they've been inside their entire lives they don't know any different. They do live longer on average (based on several studies I've read) 

Depends where you live as people have mentioned. Here in Australia most people's cats are inside/outside but we've also got a huge problem with ferals and destruction of native wildlife. The local councils and government strongly encourage people to keep their cats inside (although I'm not sure how effective this has been) 

I grew up with dogs and I like the idea of knowing where my pet is at all times. I respect other peoples choice but I'd constantly be wondering if they were being run over or attacked. 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
domesticated wild cats
I just wanted to clarify that this is a contradiction. Cats are not wild, and if they are not feral, they will not automatically have any of the instincts they need to stay safe outside.

I don't think anyone here is trying to be mean honey. :hugs:
We only want to help you make an informed decision. He may live 20 years outside, or he may die the day you let him out, you don't know. It's a risk you take. After having family cats that lived outside, I don't think I would do it again myself.
First we lost Big-a-Boy: he lived a long life, 16 years I think, but because he was outside, we never found out what happened to him. Hit by a car? Poisoned? Disease? We'll never know.
Then Babygirl: she died alone under a bush because nobody could find her until it was too late. She also lived a long time.
Shadow: didn't even make it one year. She died in the grass in the front lawn. No wounds, no signs of trauma, but because she was outside, we'll never know what she died from either. :dk:

So see, even some of my cats lived a long time, but it isn't until they die that you wish you could have made a different choice. The problem is, once you realize that, it's too late. And I think that's how most people here came to the conclusion they did. They had the same opinion as you, but no matter how safe they thought their neighborhood was, they lost a cat and then wished they could have done it another way.

I wish you and Simba well. :vibes::rbheart:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i just ment that cats have the instincts to hunt..climb...run...etc...they do have those..i've never taken my cats to a hunting class but dam they could cat a mouse or 6..etc..its an instinct of course...cat have long tails for climbing..its used for balance and judging distance with...

i am so sorry you have had bad luck with two of your outdoor cats..and i'm sure i would be devastated should anything happen to simba..yes i can not say that my cat will have no issues outside or there will be completely no danger at all...but then i couldn't bring myself to take away his freedom either...i can't have a rabbit or a bird because i don't think they should be locked away in cadges either...

i am sure if i had lost a cat over all the years i have had them i would feel the same as so many of you..but my cats died of old age or illness related to age...

if its far to dangerous outside for a cat then yer keep it indoors...but not all areas are the same as another........

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just ment that cats have the instincts to hunt..climb...run...etc...they do have those..i've never taken my cats to a hunting class but dam they could cat a mouse or 6..etc..its an instinct of course...cat have long tails for climbing..its used for balance and judging distance with...
That all depends on the cat though. :nod:
Some haven't a clue how to mouse, or aren't scared of anything and will lay right in the middle of the road like our Babygirl did.
My friends cat has all his claws and his full tail and yet he can't balance worth anything! :lol2: If you pet him too hard, once you stop, he forgets to correct his balance and falls right over. XD
Like you were saying, you'll see whether he wants to be in or out and also whether he has any of those things or whether he's clumsy and brave and a terrible mouser. :p

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if its far to dangerous outside for a cat then yer keep it indoors...but not all areas are the same as another........
This is an issue I struggled with for a few years. When we first adopted Aria, she had been a stray for a while (but probably not long), and she LOVED going outside. She loved to hunt. We lived in a fairly secluded neighborhood at the time, and she stayed away from roads and cars because there was an undeveloped area behind our house. I thought it was fairly safe, but I still worried about her every time she was out. We let her out for a few years without any real mishaps, but eventually she became an indoor only cat for two main reasons.

1. She terrorized the local small wildlife. She would bring home mice, shrews, birds, and rabbits. She never seemed to eat any of them, and surprisingly most were just fine when she got them home, but it was hard when some died (one rabbit jumped off the deck before we could get to it and broke its back, so H had to kill it). One bird she let inside the house and that sucker was hard to catch and caused a mess (pooped all over the house in its terror). I didn't see the point of her catching animals she wasn't going to eat, no matter how much she loved hunting.

2. One day she was lying on our front porch in the sun, watching a bird on the roof, when a neighbor's dog attacked her. She got away from the dog without any injuries, but it could have ended very differently. This dog went through an invisible fence to get to her.

I came to the conclusion that "fairly safe" wasn't safe enough. I would feel so devastated if she died or became injured because of something I could easily prevent. Yes, I'm sure she would like to go out sometimes, but she has adjusted to being an indoor only cat just fine. To me it's not worth the risk. As you've said, everyone needs to make his/her own decision based on the circumstances, and that's the decision I've chosen to make based on my experiences.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, as I said before, my cats are and always will have the freedom of the outdoors. I guess I am lucky that they seem to be street smart. They don't go out to the streets or go toilet on the neighbors' yards and spend their nights indoors. 

My first cats were stray adults. Then when I rescued kittens, the resident cats taught them what they knew about the bad stuff out there. And so it went on. So I guess, only with small interference from me (introductions, veterinary requirements, a walled yard, food, water...) my cats are free to do their "wild cat" things outside. 

Last edited:

jenilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Correct me if I have misunderstood you, but I got the feeling that one of your major reasons for wanting to let your cat outside is that keeping it inside would be like keeping it in prison for it's entire life. While I can understand why you would feel that way, I don't agree. Remember, household cats are domesticated, despite their roots as wild animals. A housecat wants to be warm, fed, safe, and loved. Part of loving my cat means I play with her, give her toys, and make sure she has places to climb and windows to look out and watch the world. She has never shown any interest in going outside. I live in the United States but in a fairly safe and quiet neighborhood. Safety is relative, though. I had an outdoor cat once who was killed by a car - but not a speeding car - my father-in- law could not see her and accidentally backed over her. The same thing happened to a friend's cat. You say your only wildlife is foxes - I don't live in a "high wildlife area," but we still have raccoons and dogs - both of which will kill cats. I used to feel exactly like you - that I was depriving my cat of a full life if I kept it inside - but I no longer feel that way. I have a healthy and happy kitty, and I don't have to worry about something happening to her while she is outside. I'm not scolding you - my sisters let their cats out and I know they love their kitties as much as I do mine - but I just don't want you to think that you are making your cat a prisoner if you keep him in. Cats are not possessions, no, but we are responsible for their health and well being - and I just have to agree with those who think indoor cats generally live longer and healthier lives. But, I'm not going to be mad at you if you let yours out :)

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi,could you please watch an amazing documentery on youtube called 'The secret life of cats'.....just type it into the search engine..and watch it.its quite an eye opener and it confirms my beliefs in cats prefer outdoors as much as indoors...they need to be outside sometimes to be a cat...we can try and domesticate cats as much as we like but no other animal has wild natural instincts like a cat does...we are lucky enough to be in thier lives not the other way round at all...i have so much more respect for my cat and realise its not all about my needs or feelings....but his aswell...i see my cat in a totaly new way now...a tame wild preditor thats gives me the gift of trust...amazing video...have a look and see what you think and let me know your thourghts on the video...

calykitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i think he just needs to go to the vet could be he needs fixed or it also could mean he has pain at night.
 so you really need to take him to the vet.

trust me im the biggest cat lover in the world. i have 3 cats.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen it before. If anything, it highlights all the reasons why not to let your cat out. Fighting, devastating wildlife, roaming dogs, "It's 8pm, do you know where your kitty is?", etc etc :dk:
All those cats at the beginning from the cat shows probably never go outside. At 8:30, the lady who feeds her cats at the table specifically mentions she keeps her cats indoors so that they don't wreck havoc on the wildlife.

Cats are just not simply the wild animals you think they are. We are not just "lucky enough to have" them, they rely on us. For all the 'instincts' you say they have, the video clearly shows what happens when they are allowed to roam free; they die terrible terrible deaths. It fact the point of the video is to persuade you to STOP letting your cat outside. They very clearly state that. :nono:

Like we've all said, it's your choice to let your cat out, but don't kid yourself into thinking they are something they are not. Dogs used to be wild too you know; they aren't stupid. Many of them still live on farms, hunt for us or herd sheep. If they are required to stay indoors and fenced, why should it be any different for cats?

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
did you even watch the same video....lol...nothing you have said shows indoor is better at all...maybe it is for you....people who keep thier cats in are doing it for themselves more so then the cat ...you dont want to loose your cat,for it to get hurt because your heart would break...not have to worry at all where your cat is..you might have to have to pay more vet bills...you would have to wait til the cats ready to come in..no matter how late it was or cold..etc....its easier to keep it indoors for you..to save your feelings make your life easier...and thats the bottom line...i dont doubt you care for your cats...but you prefer keeping them in for an easier life...for you..a stress free life for you ....seriously..those who are trying to make a case for indoor only cats, make outside your back yard is designed to destroy all cats...full of wild beasts,disease and mad men who torture cats....that may well be the case where you live..but its not for me here..god if it was i wouldn't leave the house myself.....lol....i respect traffic may be worse in your area then mine...or you live where wild animals wander..or disease is an issue with cats...but thats your problem not everyone else's..non of the above issues apply to where i live at all...sorry but that just the way it is.

Last edited:

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
dogs...what?least these dogs actualie get to experiance the outdoors on some level wether working dogs or not..so why shouldn't cats get some freedom...is that what you ment to put..yours didn't make sense at all....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one of the more compelling arguments against letting cats run free, even if it's "totally safe" for the cats, is that they tend to go onto the neighbor's property. Dogs aren't allowed to run free in most towns/cities. Unless the cat stays only on your property, which is hard to do without a cat fence, he's probably annoying somebody, pooping in their garden, terrorizing their birds, etc.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
did you even watch the same video....lol...nothing you have said shows indoor is better at all...maybe it is for you....people who keep thier cats in are doing it for themselves more so then the cat ...you dont want to loose your cat,for it to get hurt because your heart would break...not have to worry at all where your cat is..you might have to have to pay more vet bills...you would have to wait til the cats ready to come in..no matter how late it was or cold..etc....its easier to keep it indoors for you..to save your feelings make your life easier...and thats the bottom line...i dont doubt you care for your cats...but you prefer keeping them in for an easier life...for you..a stress free life for you ....seriously..those who are trying to make a case for indoor only cats, make outside your back yard is designed to destroy all cats...full of wild beasts,disease and mad men who torture cats....that may well be the case where you live..but its not for me here..god if it was i wouldn't leave the house myself.....lol....i respect traffic may be worse in your area then mine...or you live where wild animals wander..or disease is an issue with cats...but thats your problem not everyone else's..non of the above issues apply to where i live at all...sorry but that just the way it is.
The thing is, going by the title of your thread, you asked for opinions.

As you have a right to share your opinion without abuse, so do those who disagree with you. And yet, you want to make it seem those of us who believe most cats are better off indoors are some kind of evil selfish beings. I think you ought to give the same courtesy you expect.

As for your repeated comments that if people live in a place where cats can't go outside they shouldn't have cats at all, that's just sad. Very sad way to think, in my opinion.

Do you honestly believe cats are better off sitting in cages at shelters, or being mass euthanized, rather than living a happy indoor life? Warm, safe, fed, LOVED. I understand that is your opinion, but I don't understand that point of view at all. Many shelters and rescue organizations insist that the cats they adopt out are kept inside. And these are the people who see the most of what happens to cats let out.

I am happy for you that you feel comfortable letting your cat roam. But you are letting him, because it is what you believe, just the way those of us who feel differently keep ours in because it's what we believe. Because you disagree does not make your belief the only right one.

Incidentally, I belong to a very busy active UK based forum. I see threads every day of cats being killed, poisoned hit lost. And I see many UK members urging other people to keep their cats' inside. So, you are not speaking for everyone in your part of the world. :)

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why you think it's cruel to keep a cat indoors. I have cats that will walk towards the inside part of the door when it opens because they DON"T want to go outside. Obviously their needs are being met if they don't even want to go  out. How is it cruel for them to live in an environment where they are fed healthy food on a schedule everyday, it is 68 degrees all year long, no rain or snow falling on them, warm soft beds, cat trees, interactive play with me and each other, vet care when they need it (easy to detect problems with indoor cats), treats, warm lap to nap on, bed with soft sheets to sleep on, lots of attention and play time everyday. I fail to see how any of this is a cruel life for a cat. Maybe it's your choice to have outdoor cats but that doesn't mean indoor cats aren't being given a content and happy life.

Last edited:

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry are you discribing your relationship with your cat or your child????

i do not think keeping a cat indoors is cruel at all...some cats have to stay indoors..i understand that....but not all cats need to be kept inside......

but you talk about your cats as if they were human and shared your needs and interests....they are cats...no humans..

but as with all living creatures...fresh air,different scenary,new smells,adventure and a social life is something that i do not feel should be taken away.

i am sure your cats are well looked after and content staying indoors for the next 15-18 yrs...this is not the case for all our cats...my cats going stir crazy trying to get ouside...(and all my cats have been outdoor non have been eaten or killed)..then they have a warm home to come back too with the same pleasures as your cats have....each to thier own...but don't believe your cats would not enjoy the outdoors after they had chance to get use to it..because they would be out more then in depending on thier age and breed..

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 You may think my cats act childlike, but that is their nature. They are that way naturally. It's not like I "trained " them to like good food and soft, warm beds. They decided on their own that they like laps and sleeping in bed with me the first night I had them. I don't make them do anything. They choose these pleasures. If that sounds child-like to you, so be it. They are acting like cats, happy, content CATS, who enjoy their life.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hi,could you please watch an amazing documentery on youtube called 'The secret life of cats'.....just type it into the search engine..and watch it. its quite an eye opener and it confirms my beliefs in cats prefer outdoors as much as indoors...they need to be outside sometimes to be a cat... we can try and domesticate cats as much as we like but no other animal has wild natural instincts like a cat does...we are lucky enough to be in thier lives not the other way round at all...i have so much more respect for my cat and realise its not all about my needs or feelings....but his aswell...i see my cat in a totaly new way now...a tame wild preditor thats gives me the gift of trust...amazing video...have a look and see what you think and let me know your thourghts on the video...

:lol3: Sorry, but this is the very definition of irony. That video is the result of the research of Kerrie Ann Loyd for her grad work at University of Georgia, Warnell School of Forestry. She has an anti-cat agenda, being a bird and wildlife advocate. Her original research project was going to compare TNR (trap-neuter-release) methods of feral cat management with trap-and-kill methods of feral cat management. She failed to mention that last part to the groups she sought to raise funding for the project. Thankfully, a small group of people discovered the issue, and notified the group(s) that had committed funding for the project, and the funding was pulled.

Her mentor, Nico Dauphine, a graduate of the University of Georgia Warnell School of Forestry, was going to conduct this very same research project at the Smithsonian. Unfortunately for Nico, she got busted poisoning food left out for feral cats at her apartment building in Washington D.C.

So Kerrie pursued the "Kitty Cam" project. The project was designed to demonstrate what effective killing machines cats are.

In fact the point of the video is to persuade you to STOP letting your cat outside. They very clearly state that. :nono:
So yes, the very point of the video is to push the agenda of ABC Birds "Cats Indoors!" campaign.

I do a lot of feral cat advocacy. The UK - and as pointed out earlier by Willowy - has a very different outlook on its roaming pet kitties than the U.S. Your wildlife and bird conservation groups actually read the research on cat predation and agree: there is no evidence that roaming pet cats are decimating birds or wildlife.

But that doesn't mean that keeping cats indoors isn't the responsible thing to do as a cat guardian.

You've made up your mind, fine. But why continue to try to persuade others of us who feel differently? All of my 8 pet cats are feral rescues. Not ONE of them has any desire to go outside again. They've been there, done that, and life was cruel to them.

Cats are unique among the carnivore. They are the only species whose hunt/play instinct is completely separate from the hunger drive. This is why cats delight and charm us with their antics.

This is also why, as Vball91 (and so many others have) discovered, cats will hunt and not eat. And like Vball91's cats, not all cats are efficient killers. I personally don't like to see any creature suffer.

I believe cats belong indoors or confined to their property. My cats hunt toy mice, springs and balls, and they are very content to do so. My cats enjoy watching birds and squirrels out the window, and I attract birds for them to do this with bird feeders. My cats love to run, leap, and jump, and I provide them with numerous sources of multiple levels, "jungle gyms" of cat trees, shelves, and cabinets in which to do this.

My cats are carnivores, and I provide them with raw meat, bones, and organs at every meal to best fulfill their nutritional requirements and evolutionary biological design.

My cats are not deprived of their need to be.... cats, despite the fact that they do not go outside.

If I had a property that I could properly enclose to let them spend time outside, I would. But I would not let them roam. What's the issue? Your yard is fenced. Simply add the netting required to ensure they can't leave the yard.

It seems to me your real question is not "indoor or outdoor" but "to roam or not to roam," and THAT is a very, very different question.

Dogs are not expected to roam or allowed to roam. Why are cats different? That is what escapes me. Because they're smaller than most dogs? Because they can jump higher than dogs of the same size?

:dk:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.