I'm worried and frustrated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@MServant  She shows me her belly quite a lot, whenever i come home, get up in the morning, or she just wants to catch my attention. Most of the time, i cant help but drop down on all fours to put my face there and kiss her. Smart girl she is...She purrs a lot too. If she is sleeping next to me and i move or even just clear my throat, she purrs. I speak to her, she purrs. I love her.
She's a bit less demonic with my feet. I think she is calming down a bit in general. Ha! As i type this, she bit into my foot, but she quickly went back to jumping up the door frame just for funzies.
By the way, she is already used to my clipping her nails every 3 weeks. I'll make sure all is clipped and washed before my surgery.

My local SPCA can spay her for half price, but its way across town and i think it will stress her too much to do an hour of buses and subways to and from a chaotic place she doesnt know with people shes never met. Also, i dont even have that half price money.
My vet is about 2 minutes walk from my place. She will also snip off her ear polyp and check her nose\snip off any polyp she finds up there at the same times, for free. I dont want to have to put her under twice and id really rather do it all at the same time. I think it would be important to check her blood to make sure she is ok for surgery, given her rough beginnings. Dont think i can skip pre-op tests with her.
This reminds me of the time i skipped the blood test for my seemingly healthy dog, but he went into renal failure right after his surgery. We still dont know what happened, but a thorough pre-op test would have prevented it, maybe.

@nansiludie  I have checked and not found such organisations here. I'll ask my vet though, maybe she knows something i dont.

@NibblerAndCo

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@NibblerAndCo  Sorry for tagging you twice! My computer doesnt like this website and sometimes it wont let me finish my replies.

I have known only one Bengal in my life, and he is...wild? His owner has to let him roam outside all day in downtown Montreal or he will go mad in the house and randmly attack feet and any moving limb out of frustration. He hangs out a specific park which has a reputation of housing lots of young homeless people with their dogs. Sometimes she gets calls (her number is visible from his tag) about how her cat frightens people and dogs cause he is so tough and big and muscular...Though i dont think his lifestyle is ideal, i find humor in the reputation this cat has in the slums. This is what i know of Bengals. I see a little bit of that in Pixie, but i'll never know. Not super important anyway, but i like the idea a little bit. She's growing so fast, it would make sens.

I expect my princess to turn into a queen in a month or two...About daylight, it gets dark at 4pm in december, so hopefully that will help.She hardly ever cries now. She still has her kitten voice. Same exact as when she was 1 month old. Sometimes she stops when playing and just does this weird fast tempoed pathetic high pitched meow that stops when i call her from where i am. Urgh...i dont know why but i have a feeling she will be ones of thos who will drag herself on the floor all day, acting all dramatic.
I'll surely solicit help from breeder when i am dealing with a 'calling queen'. Hehe...love the term.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad Pixie is doing so much better.  Wonderful news.

Sorry about your own health issues, but sometimes these things just can't be helped
.  In the meantime, maybe there is something in this thread that might you helpful...different financial resources (including Imom)  that may or may not still be valid, since this thread is from 2013:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/258441/financial-assistance-for-vet-care

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I think you are very sensible in not looking at cutting costs by missing out blood tests and things, esp from your previous experiences and worries with Pixie's health when she moved in with you.  Your vet saying they will also carry out her other surgery at the same time is a really good offer by the sound of it.

Pixie definitely sounds like a super cute diva, and a dramatic, 'calling queen' she may well become, but even if she does she will still be gorgeous.  It's just that you might need to wear ear plugs sometimes and make sure you set up a very effective assault course for her to minimize her chances of slipping out the door until you manage to get funds together for her surgery.    BTW, I would love to see an updated photo of her if you have any - to see how her spots have developed.  

It isn't quick by any means but I try to put any coins / change I get in to a pot which is out of sight (hopefully out of mind).   Tiny amounts can be managed even on a very tight budget and accumulate to slowly become savings which I keep for Mouse's vet bills.  This highest value coin we have here is a £2 one and you don't get them that often - if I have one and have any other money in my purse I always put the £2 in the pot - these can build up noticeably  If your vet has any kind of payment scheme even a small amount might help you plan in surgery earlier than you could manage otherwise.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talking about cats going for feet and hands, whisky, the abandoned siamese who came to me roughly age no months, and blighty, who came to me from the streets age roughly 2 months, neither of them have ever bitten or scratched except for love bites. It's quite amazing, especially regarding blighty who is a real scaredy cat.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Stewball  Mine is not almost 6 months old and i still have to put her in the bathroom sometimes when i cook cause she won't stop biting my feet. Always keep a supply of balls near so throw, but she comes back within 30 seconds. I think it's how she gets attention. She's a bottomless pit.

So UPDATE! Sorry it's been a while but i try and stay away from my annoying computer lately.
Been to the vet a week ago for her last booster shot. She weigh 6.64lb, though 6.66 would have been fitting. So at 5 months and a half, she is within the norm...for a male! Though she is not fat, she is long. The vet suggested i start switching to adult kibble so she wont get fat, but i dont know...i'll wait and see if she gets fat. She has almost no FHV symtoms other than the random sneeze. Happens almost every day, but its one sneeze, usually while she plays. This is probably normal for all cats. The vet said to stop the lactofferin and lysine, and use it only if she has a flareup, but im still giving her lysine just in case. I'll stop soon though.
Her ear polyp was nowhere to be found, so its possible it fell on its own. So there is no need to wash her ear anymore, which is a relief cause she HATES it and i HATE it too. She had a bit of gum redness. Could be gingivitis already, could be teething. She lost all her baby teefs already. So the vet suggested dental kibble, but the ingredients grossed me out. Also, there is no real evidence it really helps, from what i read online. So i'll go with the toothbrush option. Ive been massaging her gums from outside her mouth when she sleeps on me. She likes it when she is very relaxed. I'll evebtualy massge inside her mouth, and then with paste, and then i'll try with a brush. 
I'm actually here to look for recipes for cooked wet food. Her cans cost too much and i dont want to go for the cheap disgusting stuff. I aready have all the supplements from Iherb that were to go with raw food, but i'll go with cooked for now. No money for a meat grinder. The supplements i have are bone meal, salmon oil caps, vitE caps, B12 caps, glandular something caps, taurine...i feel like im forgetting something. Anyway, the cooked recipes here require other supplements that i dont have and cant afford to buy, so i have to use what i already have.
I'm thinking of boiling a bunch of chicken legs with a bit of liver, then mashing it up with a bit of pumpkin or sweet potatoes (she loves pumpkin) for texture and wetness. She likes stews with chunks now.
I'm sure just that without supplements would be ok. I'll still give her all she can eat high quality kitten kibble in between meals, but since i already have the stuff, might as well use it no? Problem is, i have no idea of the qualities to use. Dont want to overdo it and make her sick.
Unless there is a new thread with new recipes since the last time i came to look (about 3-5 weeks ago?), i'm hoping one if you can help me with that or point in the right direction.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, Pixie's all grown up!   Funny to think of her with all adult teeth (still chewing on you no doubt), and 6.64 lb.  
   It sounds like her immune system is nice and strong too with her keeping the FHV symptoms at bay - well done you. A little sneezing is pretty good I reckon from where your little one started out in life.  The redness around her gums might still be a little iritation from her teething but it would be good to see it settle pretty soon after all adult teeth were through.  I think your decision to go with teeth cleaning / brushing and high quality food is a sound one and hope your vet is supporting you.  I do give Mouse the dental food but his gums are definitely raw with brushing alone and the combination of food and brushing is necessary for him - I know exactly what you mean about the ingredients of the food.  Have you let Pixie taste the toothpaste yet?   Mouse loves it and is happy to lick it off my finger - if Pixie likes it too you can always start her with the paste as treat then rubbing her mouth as you do now and work through to the brushing with paste a litte faster than you think.

I know many people keep giving the L Lysine as a preventitive measure for their cats, to help suppress the virus but I am with you and your vet on using more to control should symptoms be problematic.  My vets advised me to read up on how the L Lysine can put additional strain on the liver because of how it affects protein digestion, and I don't want to cause any unnecessary strain on Mouse's body if I can avoid it.  If I keep a look out for increases in sneezing, coughing or runny eyes starting that's when I give him a week or two of the L Lysine and that has been enough to keep him well this last couple of years.  The paste I got from the vet has a nice long date on it when kept in the fridge too so the treatment is really inexpensive.   Hope this tactic works well for Pixie too.  

For the advice on your raw and home cooked food it is best to ask over in the Raw and Home Cooked Food section of the Nutrition forum.  You could use your previous thread there or start a new one to be sure as many people as possible see your question.   

Last edited: