I'm worried and frustrated

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most vets who do the pediatric neuter/spays actually have you feed the little kittens at 6:30 am, half their normal breakfast, and then you check in at 7:30 and the spays are done first.  The kittens are also fed again as soon as they are awake enough to eat.  There is less danger from the anesthesia than there is from HYPOGLYCEMIA, and kittens can crash very suddenly if their blood sugar gets too low.  That's why little guys should only be done by vets who specialize in pediatric neuters and spays.  You can't take their food away and midnight, put them through a spay, and expect them not to have anything to eat until 6 pm or later because at 2 lbs they are too small for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If you are ordering from Amazon, 2 bottles puts your price up into the "free shipping" range so you save money.
Who me? If so, i checked on both American and Canadian Amazons (I'm Canadian), and from what i reckoned, the product wasn't eligible for the free shipping over 25$ deal. Maybe i should check again?

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Most vets who do the pediatric neuter/spays actually have you feed the little kittens at 6:30 am, half their normal breakfast, and then you check in at 7:30 and the spays are done first.  The kittens are also fed again as soon as they are awake enough to eat.  There is less danger from the anesthesia than there is from HYPOGLYCEMIA, and kittens can crash very suddenly if their blood sugar gets too low.  That's why little guys should only be done by vets who specialize in pediatric neuters and spays.  You can't take their food away and midnight, put them through a spay, and expect them not to have anything to eat until 6 pm or later because at 2 lbs they are too small for that.
This reminds me of when i applied for the special neutering program at the SPCA. She said they could do it as young as 3 months old. When i said she wouldn't be vaccinated by then, she said they could give her her shots at the same time which puzzled me. How can a kitten cope with both a surgery and shots in the same 24 hours? Sheesh...so i'll pay full price to have it done by my regular vet, which will cost me twice as what the SPCA offered. I'm so grateful for the work the SPCA does, but i'm not taking my precious there if i can help it.
I don't  mind having her neutered after 6 months of age, but both the technicians and the vet told me it's much better to do it before they have their first heat (at 6 months, no?) for health reasons. Something about higher tumor risks long term.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's absolutely beautiful. Don't worry about the operation. Ask if the vet does dissolving stitches inside. So much easier.
She won't need the collar to protect the stitched.
That would make sens. I mean, even for humans, dissolving stitches are used for those types of surgeries.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oooooh, pretty Pixie!   I swear she is getting prettier as she grows, and what's more - keeping her kitten cuteness with it.   Quite the mini tiger in looks ( and in behaviour going by that leg on show  
  ).    That belly shot really is like a baby tiger...  You can see how much she is growing in the window shot where she's all stretched up - nice.  She is looking fit despite still being snuffly.

Some vets will not neuter earlier because they feel the kittens are not strong enough for aneasthesia, and until relatively recently cats were rarely neutered early, esp females so don't worry too much.   As long as you keep her very carefully indoors and no risk of encountering entire male cats even if she is not showing any obvious signs of heat I think you are right to wait until she is good and strong for the shots and surgery.  My previous vet wouldn't neuter my girls until they were at least 6 months and one of them was beside herself in heat by the time I finally got to take them in - she was wailing and dragging her self round on her back on the carpet constantly and her sister didn't know what to do to help her feel better (I didn't even try, just wished I didn't need to see her going through it all).  They both lived healthy lives until almost 18 and 22 with no ill effects from later neutering.
She is a pretty tiger indeed. Someone from work said she might have some Bengal in her, but i don't see why strays would have that breed in them. She is long, has some similar markings, and large paws, oh and scariness of Bengals (a friend of mine has one. Scary stuff. She has to let her pricey cat roam the city at will or he will get so bored and restless he will cut you or kill you in your sleep.) but not only have in never seen a Bengal in the area, none of the members of the colony remotely look like one.
It reassures me that your cats lived happy for so long.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
General update;
For the past 3 days, she has been eating a lot. And i have noticed a decrease in nose sounds, though she will make a loud snort sound once in a while when playing or running with a ball in her mouth.
She is very active, and even jumps up door frames, which is kind of creepy.
The landlord came by today and told me she loves hearing her run like mad (they live under me). Good, cause i was worried she was making too much noise when she gets to playing and running when i go to bed at 11-12pm. Hard to believe such a small creature makes so much noise.
I got her an XS harness today (it is pink...) and it fits! My kitchen scales is not precice and can only handle so much kitten, but i think she must be close to 4,5 lbs now. She will be 4 months old in a week.
I put the harness on, and after i took the bell off, i finally could put it on her. She rolled around a lot and would not accept any treats cause she was upset about the harness, so i took it off and let her play with it while i threw some treats in, that she ate.

She was supposed to get her last dose of Revolution today, but i gave her Strongid instead.
Fingers crossed she keeps getting better so i can resume shots in 2 weeks.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Pixie and the harness, I can just imagine her face and posture coz I put Mouse in to his from time to time so he's a little familiar in case of an emergency and I need to have him out of the apartment for a long time.   He 'tolerates' it now but to start with he would roll around and do that crawling along the ground routine like his legs had shrunk.
    He's worked out how he can get out of it though (by getting the leash caught on something so he can create tension and then pulls back so his front legs and head will slip out backwards) so I have to keep a close eye on him when he's wearing it.  

It's a great idea to introduce Pixie to her harness now so she can play and get used to it being around, and learn how many treats she can scrounge off you as a reward when it's out.

4 months!   She is so grown up!    I brought Mouse home with me at 4 months and I remember thinking he was so huge he must have been fully grown - NOT, and he was in to everything, chewing everything, and seemed to have energy for play 24/7.   It is such a magical age.   Enjoy, Pixie certainly seems to be enjoying life and that is all down to your good care.  

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend the expert tells me you need to MODIFY THE HARNESS because most cats can back out of any harness on the market these days.  What she does is rotate it -- by removing one of the side straps and connecting it to the other one, she rotates the collar so that it has a single strap going between the front legs that is actually connected to the strap that goes around the ribs and it is like a lariat, it goes through a clip on the collar ring and the leash attaches after that and if they pull, it tightens around their ribs.  That way they cannot back out of it.  She said that saved the life of one of her cats because he made an unexpected leap out the car window and had he been wearing a conventional harness, he would have slipped out back end first, but because of this tightening rib band design, she was able to pull him back into the car.  (She wasn't driving.)

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Red Top Rescue

That description almost gave me a nose bleed, but i think i understand. Thanks for the tip.

Yet another update; The nose noises have come back. There has been some sneezing, but not a lot. Mostly sutffy nose sounds and snoring. Wonder how long the lactoferrin takes to help? She's been on it for a little over a week. I think most of you saw a difference in 2 weeks?

Interesting news, just as i was going on my balcony late last night for a smoke, i caught both of Pixie's parents (Mamacat and Papacat) on there. I live on the second floor but they can climb the stairs. These two use to sleep on my landlord's balcony chair\cushion last fall, when they were mere teenagers. I caught Mamacat once a year ago, sleeping on my chair, but she ran off. Last night, they ran off but Mamacat stayed not too far on the stairs so i got some food for her. No idea if she is pregnant, or had her babies but they all died...Anywho, she ate while i smoked 3 yards away. I showed her Pixie. I took her in my arm and stood a couple yards from her. There was no real reacting from either, just looking at eachother. 
No idea why they both decided my chair was their new spot. Could they know Pixie is here? Do cats even do that? Do they remember and care about their children? 
I don't want Pixie to come in close contact with them for health reasons of course...And i guess harness on my balcony is out of the question now. Call me paranoid, but i worry about what viruses and parasites they might bring up here.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the cat who loses her kittens knows as she'll look for them but also she'll take on another's kitties quite happily. Her hormones are telling her what to do.
Once they're weaned and dependant and don't need mum anymore then I think that's when they forget.
This is just my thinking.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the cat who loses her kittens knows as she'll look for them but also she'll take on another's kitties quite happily. Her hormones are telling her what to do.
Once they're weaned and dependant and don't need mum anymore then I think that's when they forget.
This is just my thinking.
Makes sens.
Haven't seen them since. I think they just fancied my chair cushion.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update!

Pixie is doing well. Two weeks ago, i resumed the vaccine protocol. This time, there was no bad reaction and no flare up. She had gained 1.5lb in 4 weeks, which puts her at 5.2lbs at 28 weeks, so she is now within the norm..for a male cat :)
I thought this was funny cause the vet told me i should expect her to be a smaller cat when she is fully grown, but it looking like she will be on the sturdy side.
She had an extra set of teeth, her adult ones growing next to her baby teeth, but from what i saw 2 days later, she had lost her baby teeth. My skin is grateful the needles are gone.
She eats well enough and though i feel she is less playful than when she was younger, she still goes nuts at least 4 times a day. She is now 4 months and a half old and her next and last vaccine will be in 2 weeks.
Unfortunately, i wont be able to get her sterilized till next spring. I was put back on sick leave this week, and turns out i need shoulder surgery so i can expect to not be able to go to work till 5-6 months from now if all goes well. This makes it impossible for me to fork the money for the surgery. I am so disappointed because they were supposed to snip her polyps off while she was under, so i'll have to keep washing her ear (don't know how i'll do that once my arm is in a slinger..) and giving her steam therapy so her nose doesn't get gunked up. I was also looking forward to getting her tested for HIV and leukemia, and the state of her organs in general.
But also...i'll be living with a cat in heat in no time. I'm really hoping she won't be crying all day and marking her territory...Never had a pet that wasn't spayed or neutered.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Fabulous to get an update and esp to hear she is doing so well and growing in to a lovely strong young cat.  
     Does our sweet baby Pixie still lay on her back, all stretched out and show off her spotty belly?    I do hope so.  

Heheh, I bet you were glad to say goodbye to those little needle teeth of hers!   It's a shame their jaws get stronger so they can do even more damage with their adult fangs but I guess that's what we get for loving kitties. 
    Hopefully Pixie is learning a little not to bite and chew on her humans quite so much, and also not to claw as much either - though if you can manage to clip her claws they are less needle like as cats grow.   That said - claw clipping is also kind of hard when you don't have two fully working upper limbs from my recent experience:   hope all goes well with your shoulder surgery and all healing is fast afterward.   Managing to do anything with a wriggly kitty one handed is pretty impossible!    

As for having to delay Pixie's spay surgery, that is a shame but if you can't find anywhere offering them free or low cost then there isn't much you can do in the circumstances I guess.  From my experience females don't usually mark like male cats do, it's more that they can be daemons at trying to get out any which way they can.  How much it is noticeable when a cat is in heat is very variable so don't rely on being able to observe a change in behaviour.   I only had 2 females, litter sisters, and both completely different.   One was crazy, caterwauling and dragging herself around the apartment on her back looking like her world was going to end for days on end while her sister showed no signs at all but would be at the door every chance she could get.   Thankfully I was able to get them in for spaying within a couple of months of this starting otherwise the caterwauling might have driven both me and the litter sister quite mad.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[@]MServant[/@

Never mind the neighbours. How old were they when they were spayed?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you stated you were in Canada but Imom has helped me before with some unexpected cat spay surgeries. They paid for them. They won't pay for anything other than surgery though so I'm not sure if they would be able to help since you are in Canada but also if you wanted to go ahead with it if they did.

nibblerandco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, i wont be able to get her sterilized till next spring. I was put back on sick leave this week, and turns out i need shoulder surgery so i can expect to not be able to go to work till 5-6 months from now if all goes well. This makes it impossible for me to fork the money for the surgery. I am so disappointed because they were supposed to snip her polyps off while she was under, so i'll have to keep washing her ear (don't know how i'll do that once my arm is in a slinger..) and giving her steam therapy so her nose doesn't get gunked up. I was also looking forward to getting her tested for HIV and leukemia, and the state of her organs in general.
But also...i'll be living with a cat in heat in no time. I'm really hoping she won't be crying all day and marking her territory...Never had a pet that wasn't spayed or neutered.
You may not be living with a cat in heat in no time: at this time of year the falling temperatures and reduced daylight would naturally cause most queens to go into anestrus (stop calling for several months), but queens kept inside and exposed to artificial light and warmth may call all year. I don't know how easy it would be, but to avoid artificially stimulating estrus in Pixie you could try to keep her light exposure to to a minimum, and also keep the temperature down in your place. (You might save some money too, unless your utilities are included in your rent.)

Also, the age of heat onset depends on the cat as well as the time of year, and the heat symptoms vary from cat to cat (as MServant noted) and may take time to intensify. In slower-maturing cats the first heat may not occur until 10 months, though other cats (e.g. of Siamese background) may call much earlier (and more loudly). I've personally never had a female (or male) spray urine, but again some cats are more inclined than others. If you do find yourself managing a calling queen there are lots of breeders on this site who I'm sure can help you.

It's funny your co-worker said Bengal because that's what I thought when I saw the image of Pixie stretched up at the window. Her spots are quite large and distinct for a domestic. An escaped and roaming Bengal sowing wild oats is not completely impossible, I suppose. They are very popular pets and not too hard to come by these days.