I think my cat is pregnant / kittens / spaying after birth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can, but when my kittens are doing well, I just wait until 6 or 8 weeks. You may worm them now though if you wish. Take them to the vet for it since they are only 2 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi how do I know if mama cat is still producing milk? Kittens keep going from teat to teat for a couple of seconds and then stopping. It's getting a bit more difficult to weigh them as they are not keeping still.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat is currently nursing 3 kittens who are 4 weeks old. She keeps pawing around her food. The best way to describe it is how she does in the litter tray. I'm wondering whether she's trying to hide the food from her kittens?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Covering up food is a natural instinct for cats. Mom cat might be showing her kittens what to do.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Covering up food is a natural instinct for cats. Mom cat might be showing her kittens what to do.
Thanks. She's never done it before so it's got to be kitten related. Maybe it is to show them 🤔

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely nothing to worry about. Some cats paw around their food or even pull things like toys into the dish to cover it. Messy but normal. And it’s something they may start or stop for reasons we don’t fully understand. Maybe in this case saving it for her kittens, or an instinctual feeling that she needs to be sure she has a little saved for later since she doesn’t want to stray far from the nest.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat had 3 kittens and she's clearly in season because she keeps meowing at me when I'm near the back door. She's already got out once because of my 5 year old, luckily only the garden before I got her but I'm now having to keep the back door fully locked at all times (shes usually a house cat but as shes escaped once and got pregnant im assuming thats why she wants to get out again). Kittens are 4 weeks, using litter tray but not interested in food which is fine as mum feeds them. As they're still very dependent on her can I get her spay or do I wait until kittens are weaned?

kitty305

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would wait for the kittens to weaned. because if you don't they my not want any other foods just milk so just try weaning then first. Have a good day!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can schedule her spay for about two weeks from now. Kittens will be learning to eat soft foods but can still nurse mom after the spay until her milk dries up. Heat cycle runs about a week. Hang in there!

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can schedule her spay for about two weeks from now. Kittens will be learning to eat soft foods but can still nurse mom after the spay until her milk dries up. Heat cycle runs about a week. Hang in there!
Thanks ill get her booked in. Tried getting some kitten biscuit and soaking it up but they're not interested in eating. However I got some kitten milk and two of the three starting drinking it so hopefully I can start with that and then move slowly onto food.