I think my cat is pregnant / kittens / spaying after birth

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

So to cut a long story short. My cat is a house cat however having young children, she managed to get out in middle of January. She was out for a few days but luckily she came home. Fast forward a few week and I thought she was putting on weight. Whilst looking it up and the rarity of a cat becoming pregnant in winter I didn't think anymore of it. Today I was stroking her and felt her nipples and her belly is more rounded. If she was this would make her around 5 to 6 weeks.

I'm guessing she's pregnant and it's not that rare for a cat to become pregnant in the winter.

I've attached photos. Do you think I'm right?

I've put her on kitten food just in case so she has the right nutrition.

I'll be booking her in to be done as I won't be taking the chance of her escaping again.

Many thanks

Attachments

scritch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Best way to know for sure would be to have her in to a vet for an ultrasound (or if far enough along, an xray can also diagnose pregnancy as well, and tell you how many kittens to expect)

It's less common for cats to get pregnant in the winter, but it absolutely can happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you I'll try and make arrangements and also get advice on whether there's anything I should be doing. I've had pregnant dog before but never a cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s definitely pregnant. An x-ray will show how many and an approximate gestational age of the kittens.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you l I thought she was. Reading up the large nipples were a sign but I never really noticed what they were like before. She has quite long hair underneath so you never really seen anything whereas now you can feel them.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So update definitely pregnant she's getting a nice round belly which has hardened. If my calculations are right going off when she first escapes, she's 7 week tomorrow or if she didn't catch straight away then 7 weeks during the next 4 days. She hasn't started nesting yet, will she do this closer to the time?
I've set up a cardboard nesting place and I have a small dog cage which I've taken the door off and put a cover over the top and inside. I have to say she's extra loving at the moment and also likes to wake me up at 6am to be fed. She's on kitten wet and dry food and have small but often meals.

I don't think there's much more for me to do other than wait and see. I did read she might have 2 to 3 kittens for first litter but I thiught she was looking a bit big to be having just 2 or 3, although she's not a big cat so it could just be deceiving. Does she look normal size for 7 weeks?

Daisykittymom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Best way to know for sure would be to have her in to a vet for an ultrasound (or if far enough along, an xray can also diagnose pregnancy as well, and tell you how many kittens to expect)

It's less common for cats to get pregnant in the winter, but it absolutely can happen.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cookies in the final 2 weeks of her pregnancy so I'm wanting to get prepared. As a first timer, what do I need to make sure I have to hand? Weighing scales and plastic gloves in case she needs help, obviously going to leave her to it but just in case.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's brilliant thank you

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somebody's getting a little fatty...she's not drinking much water but she's on wet food. Any tips?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wet food provides most of the water cats need. As long as fresh water is available 24/7, she will drink it when she wants it.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have water upstairs and downstairs and I change it daily but it never seems to go down. She does eat the wet food though so hopefully all is good. She will also drink the water out of a tuna can but not sure if she should have that.

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brilliant because she definitely wolfs that down. She has expensive taste!

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So a bit of strange behaviour today. She keeps coming to me licking me and then nibbling then licking again then nibbling etc (didnt want to say biting because there doesn't seem to be any pressure but best way to describe it) is this due her hormones being all over the place?

Last edited:

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also add that she tends to be purring at the same time so it's very confusing