I think Gracie's in labor! Please help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raggamuffinmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet tech called last night and I asked her how far along she thought the kittens were. She did not think she was ready to have them. She said they did not have much fur on them but could tell one of them was striped. I hope and I pray that she does not feel sadness. It's just really tugging on my heart and I'm not sure why I am so emotional over this as if it's happening to me too.
I was going to go see her this morning before work but I don't want to confuse her any more by seeing her, leaving her then coming back.

raggamuffinmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also... This vet said that she had only had to perform one section and it was 10 years ago. Apparently this is rare.

raggamuffinmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Makes me wonder if at mated with a strange cat. I'm so angry that she was ever treated as an outside cat in the first place!
I don't know if any of you caught this part but while they were in her they did fix her. She will never have to go through this again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats are spayed at the time of a C-section. It's preferable to undergoing 2 surgeries.

C-sections are not common, but we do see them on the forum. They are almost always an emergency. Sometimes the kittens are born healthy; other times not. It depends on the cause, and how quickly the cat is brought in.

The fact this was your vet's second section in 10 years explains to me why she did not consider the bleeding to be a problem. She lacks experience with cat pregnancies and associated issues. Perhaps next time she will err on the side of caution.

It sounds to me like you are processing all that has happened, which is a healthy emotional response. During processing, one reviews events, ponders, feels emotions, and hopefully arrives at some form of closure eventually.

If the kittens were premature, they might not have survived regardless. Hard to know without seeing them. Gracie may have had an infection that caused the miscarriage. She should be sent home today with antibiotics for a week and pain meds for 3 days. Please insist that you get these!

She was clearly allowed outside and mated with a random tom cat. Has she even had all of her vaccinations?

It is sad the kittens did not make it, but a relief to know that Gracie will be okay, and can now live a life of luxury as a pampered, indoor cat with responsible owners. It may be a hidden blessing that she is now with you! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

I think you made a wise decision to not visit, and just bring her home later. Let us know how she is once she's home.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's okay to be sad. I'm sad and she's not my cat. This vet, like Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said, probably doesn't deal with pregnant cats and the complications they can bring often enough to know that she should've seen Gracie that first night. I hope knowing that the kittens wouldn't have survived, were not developed normally, helps ease your pain some. Gracie will now live the life of luxury that she deserves. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

raggamuffinmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gracie is doing well and the babies were beautiful. I asked the vet to save them for me. I wanted to see them. Here they are.

Xo

Last edited by a moderator:

raggamuffinmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did send us home with a tablet for tomorrow. Gracie is now resting with me. I am noticing her purring is quite fast. I believe she's still nervous. But in bed and calming down.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
@raggamuffinmom

Just one tablet?  Is it a pain medication or an antibiotic?

You need to find out. One pain pill will not be enough for her surgical site pain. And One antibiotic is not enough, unless she was given an long acting injection before she left the Vet's....

Things  you need to know, since you are new to being a cat mom: Always ask what the medication is for; How long does it last?; and What are the side effects.

If I were you, I would call the Vet, NOW and ask what that pill was and is it suffienct. I would demand some pain medication..at least enough to get you through Monday...the same with the antibiotic....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Artiemom. Please ask about medications.

The kittens were 2-3 weeks from full development, now that I can see them.

I hope Gracie feels more like herself soon. Please keep us posted.

raggamuffinmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!!! Gracie is great. Very clingy. But I think that is just how my sweet babe is. :)

raggamuffinmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Normal that she's licking all over me? My face? Hands? I think she's treating me like her kitten.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay. She probably has some hormones still raging that are setting off her maternal instinct. It will dissipate.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww....sweet baby.....she does love you...does she have a special soft toy?  or a small stuffed animal like a beanie baby?