I need someone to talk to

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Keep at it - it is a slow process but keep at it. You may never get rid of certain feelings (because they are normal for everyone). But you can learn to manage them and not have them overwhelm you.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
April, I'm new to this forum and to your thread so forgive me if I am stepping out of line by saying these things.

I know so much how you feel. I have always had stress and anxiety problems that run in my family and I was lucky enough to have a counselor/psychologist when I was young (7th grade). I learned early on that she was the one person I could share ALL of myself with without fear of judgment. She was my safe house.

Eventually you will find it easier to trust your counselor. When your trust has been betrayed so many times it's very difficult to open up again. Just know that she is here for YOU and she will never ever judge you. She studied to become a counselor because she wants to help people and she most certainly wants to help you.

I have been suffering from severe depression for over two years now and it culminated when I separated from my husband for eight months. (forgive me if I dip into TMI here) I was borderline suicidal and it took so much of my energy just to get up in the morning. Finally, after my coworkers pushed me into seeing a psychiatrist, I sat there, explained my symptoms and was prescribed Lexapro. (which is not for everyone)

It was right for me and it turned my life around. I am so happy now. I rediscovered my love for my husband and we're back together now. My anxiety has faded to a manageable level and everyone around me can see a difference.

I'm not saying medication is a CURE but it can help you. I don't feel drugged (though a little more sleepy than normal) during the day and it hasn't changed who I am...it just helps relieve some of my anxiety. I feel like I can manage my stress and not allow emotional pain to rule my life. I will have anxiety for the rest of my life but I know now I can handle it.

I know you have problems with your husband right now but out of love for yourself and your family you can keep going! Fixing you is not going to fix things with your marriage but it will help you take a fresh view of them and being level headed and aware of yourself (which is so hard to manage when you're feeling anxiety) will make a huge difference when you deal with your husband.

I have absolute faith in you that you can overcome the pain you are feeling now. With time you can heal yourself and after that you can use the strength you've found to help those around you....I'm saying prayers for you!

On a side note, I highly recommend yoga as a way to help relax your mind and body. It may help you relieve some of the physical effects of anxiety...

Best of luck! <3 (and sorry this was so long!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all it helps just knowing that im not the only one that has gone through this. I had another panic attack yesterday while at work. Thats 2 in 2 days.

We were in a meeting and the presenter called on me for a demonstation. By the time it was done i couldnt breathe and was shaking so bad I had to leave the room. Then i had a hard time to get myself to go back in.

The medication thing is starting to look better for me lol. I just wish I didnt have to talk to another person.

I have such a hard time talking about anything. I wonder if my counselor feels like shes pulling teeth when im there.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

Thank you all it helps just knowing that im not the only one that has gone through this. I had another panic attack yesterday while at work. Thats 2 in 2 days.

We were in a meeting and the presenter called on me for a demonstation. By the time it was done i couldnt breathe and was shaking so bad I had to leave the room. Then i had a hard time to get myself to go back in.

The medication thing is starting to look better for me lol. I just wish I didnt have to talk to another person.

I have such a hard time talking about anything. I wonder if my counselor feels like shes pulling teeth when im there.
Ouch!
Panic attacks are so horrible, it's really amazing you were able to pull it together to get through it and back to work. I've had a few really debilitating ones before, it seems like no logic you try to think about can stop your body & mind from reacting.... Airplanes, Work and Wedding were where my top three panic attacks happened!

It must be really difficult to open up and share things from your past that you don't want to talk about.
Just take it one step at a time, I'm sure your counselor understands your reluctance....

And the medication thing isn't or everyone so I hate to sound like a drug pusher, lol! Sometimes it takes time to find one thats right for you, too. My brother has even worse anxiety problems than I do and after 4 tries with different medication he gave up. I coaxed him to try a new psychiatrist and they prescribed him prozac. It's done wonders for him! I can already see a change, he seem so much more happy and carefree than he was before....

Bah! I am babbling now! But I agree, it's so nice just to not feel alone anymore. You have friends here who are always ready to bend an ear for you.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For several years in the '90s, I tried to avoid taking any antidepressant at all, and I ended up with panic attacks because of it. My doctor gave me an extremely low dose of Xanax to take only when I felt an attack beginning -- not on a regular basis. It was amazing how quickly that put me back in control.

But if you're ready to try an ongoing antidepression/antianxiety medication, I sure think that would be your very best choice right now. It would probably prevent the panic attacks, make it easier for you to open up to the counselor, and generally help you begin to feel your own strength and capability again... and gosh, I'd love to see that happen for you!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just want to feel normal again at least normal for me. But just the thought of talking to someone else sends me into a panic. But nights like last night are getting long and it sucks to lay in bed at night and not sleep. It seems to make it that much harder to get through the day.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand that! insomnia really saps your body of the energy you need to just get thru the day, and can really mess with your head if it goes on long enough.

Trust me when I say to you, the right medication WILL make it easier to rest, and to talk. Once the meds kick in and start tackling the anxiety symptoms, you'll find it's easier to think about talking thru things with a therapist you trust, and then the more you talk, the more confident you'll feel about talking with her. It's a process, and yes, it won't happen overnight, but in steps, at your pace, it will happen, if you let it!
you CAN do it. We're here for you!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well Tuesday ill ask her about meds. She asks me every time I go if I am willing to try them.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great, April! I promise it's the right decision. The first one you try may work perfectly, or you might have to try a few to find the right one... but I promise it's going to help in so many ways. I'm so glad for you!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck to you on the meds. Please feel free to research them. I just tried a medication last week and I had to go off of it immediatley (the side effects where horrendous for ME, im still recovering from one dose a week later). There is another informative forum i go to for medication feedback and advice... I know alot of people praise meds but note it takes about 4-6 weeks to start noticing change and alot of them have side effects (usually after the first two weeks of side effects people start feeling much better), so just to note it isnt a fix in the snap of a finger. Just a heads up. Im blunt that way, i like the pros and cons of things. So research ahead of time if you get the chance that way you can go over this with your psychiatrist to rid of any concern and find the medication that may be right for you. I'd also recommend that you still speak to a therapist/counselor/psychiatrist even while on meds (even if you start feeling better). Im kind of bummed that meds are no longer an option for me, but they may just be the key to what you need. Thats my two cents for the day.

Best of luck hun. Hang in there.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well my apointment is this afternoon. Why is it so hard to ask for help? Part of me feels like a failure to myself and to my family.

She tells me to repeat to myself that its not that im a horrific person its that something horrific was done to me. And that its not about me but what was done. But it is about me it was done to me.

She aslo keeps telling me that its ok to talk about it, but its soo hard i can barely spit out the words.

Ok now im rambling again. I wonder if I do make the appointment for meds how long is it gonna be before I get in.

Thank you all for being so wonderfull!! It means so much not sure if you all know.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Many of us have been there and we know you're not a horrible person. You thinking just got out of whack. Keep going to each appointment and put one foot in front of the other and next thing you know, you will start to feel better.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its hard to ask for help because you are putting yourself out there. Makes you feel vulnerable, and no one likes to feel that way. I have the same issues. As for how long it takes to get in for meds that all depends on the pdoc that you choose. It usually doesnt take me long, I just called yesterday and got in for this friday but that is because I had too many side effects on a perscribed med and the doc wanted me to get in earlier... So as a heads up you may be able to get in within a few days or even up to a month. Wont know till you call
Whatever you are prescribed please research ahead of time so you know what to expect (pro's and con's). ivillage has a great forum on anti-depressant and anxiety medication. They have a nice support system, of course we here are a great support system... but that is a specific forum pertaining to people's reactions, opinions, positives, and negatives towards their meds. It's nice to know that you are not alone.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
April, unfortunately I am not online much anymore. But I have been thinking about you and I hope that things improved. Know that you are in my thoughts!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well you can all stamp "chicken" across my forhead. She didnt ask me thins time and I couldnt bring myself to bring it up. Although it did go pretty well yesterday.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well you can all stamp "chicken" across my forhead. She didnt ask me thins time and I couldnt bring myself to bring it up. Although it did go pretty well yesterday.
Well, maybe you're just not ready quite yet.
It is great that it went better. You're definitely not alone. I wouldn't probably be on my prescription except I was worried that my kids wouldn't be ok if I did anything to hurt myself. Just keep hanging in there!!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not read all 16 pages but I want you to know that I have suffered from anxiety attacks, lack of sleep and depression. Please find a clinical hospital with both psychiatrists and psychologists because there may be some medicines that can help you. Particulary, lack of sleep is really bad if you have anxiety attacks. Not condoning any sleep medications but there are a number out there now that are not addicting.

Please contact your primary care physician for referrals to those who can help you.

My
and thoughts are with you. There are so many professionals who are honest and will not only take an interest in you but help you. Don't give up the search.

Luv Ya!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Squaaawwwwk cluckcluckcluck...
Aw, that's okay, hon... you've come such a long way already, you don't have to push yourself too hard. Next time, maybe.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow well what ever that lorazepam is all i can say is wow. I slept all night and i still feel wierd this morning. Not bad just like im still half asleep. I hope it wears off soon or this could be a interesting day at work. The dr from the er wanted me to call my counselor this morning asap but I know she works in a different town thursdays and fridays. So I dont know what I should do. Dang I feel drunk and I dont drink.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have clonazepam (pretty much the same thing). I havent taken it yet but its suppose to be good for anxiety and sleep. Alot of times when you get put on anti-depressants they will perscribe this to cut down the anxiety (when starting AD's it isnt uncommon to have anxiety attacks the first 1-2 weeks while getting the meds in your system) it also is helpful with insomnia (some AD's cause this as well). If you feel to weirded out (zombie-effect) maybe try taking half to less than half the next time you feel the need to take it.