I NEED NAME HELP!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. I associate that name with black cats for some reason.

To help her get to know her name, use it often when you are holding  or petting her.  It took my Katie several weeks, maybe even a few months to learn her name.  When I was holding her I would say "Katie Katie Katie" repeatedly.  The same when I was brushing her.  During other times I didn't use her name at all. Eventually she started to associate "Katie Katie Katie" with me holding or brushing her, and soon she started to come to me when I actually called her with her name.

Spencer learned his pretty quick, as did Abby.
Salem is often associated with black cats. However, I am Wiccan and Salem has a lot of importance to us. Hence the reason I like the name.

Will definitely give the repetitive name thing a go. She's starting to respond once in a while. I'll keep it up.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She won't respond to any name you call her because she has to learn it first so you can't just call her by a name and expect her to react. Doesn't work like that.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salem is often associated with black cats. However, I am Wiccan and Salem has a lot of importance to us. Hence the reason I like the name.

Will definitely give the repetitive name thing a go. She's starting to respond once in a while. I'll keep it up.
Sorry I just repeated what someone else said. That'll teach me not to read before I comment.

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beginning to think Whiskey may be a better name. She actually responds to that part of the time. Lol.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you keep being wishy-washy and changing the name all of the time, she won't ever learn one.

Cat's don't know names; they know sounds of hard consonants. And they need days and even weeks to associate those sounds with themselves.

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ummmm... CHILL! It was a joke. Whiskey is a nickname for one of my cats. A variant of Whiskers. Because he always tickles the backs of my legs with them in the morning. Her name is Salem.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if she responds to "whiskey" because it sounds like "Kitty". If you've been calling her "the kitty" or "the kitten", she might have learned that.

If so, she'll learn "Salem" just as easily. :)

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if she responds to "whiskey" because it sounds like "Kitty". If you've been calling her "the kitty" or "the kitten", she might have learned that.

If so, she'll learn "Salem" just as easily. :)
Hope so! I repeat it a lot when I hold her or am near her.

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How does Salem sound? Phonetically...
Here it is a common name for men.... maybe less so for new born generations, but in general, it is.

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Say-lem... that's the best I can explain it. Considering spelling it that way. Saylem as apposed to Salem. I like spelling things differently.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummmm... CHILL! It was a joke. Whiskey is a nickname for one of my cats. A variant of Whiskers. Because he always tickles the backs of my legs with them in the morning. Her name is Salem.
It's his colouring. Sort of whisky colouring.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The experts say they respond more to a name with a Y at the end.
I've had a softy, daisy, lily, brandy, whisky and blighty and I've had a gentle and a
Lotto.