I need help with Akodo - he's an aggressive player

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@mingking  I give him wet and dry food, so I'm not sure how that would work on the bowl you mentioned, but I'll check it out! @MServant  Binx is such a sweetie. I'd be ok wrestling with him, but he refuses to do so (it's actually quite cute to watch). He is REALLY nocturnally active, but will follow me to bed, so I try to take naps so I have some energy to play when the sun finally goes down. Alternatively, I try to engage his play drive earlier than that by turning off lights and lowering the shades to make it appear darker than it really is outside.

What I'm trying to do is find a way to engineer an R/C mouse that works on carpet, so I can get him to chase off his nighttime buzz. That, or attach a feather tail to a mini drone, or something! He's started making prodigious leaps at tossed toys, so I imagine he'd enjoy chasing a flying thing!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I used to chuck enless supplies of feathered cat toys across rooms for Mouse to leap and chase after but now he only occasionally chases after stuff other than his biscuits.  You can definitely try throw to catch and chase games with Akodo's dry food if you want.  Make sure he knows you have his food, play around moving it about so you get his interest and then throw up for him to catch - or chase after if he misses it. 
   It makes a great ending to other play sessions as well, so when he starts to get bored you bring in the dry food for a snack, esp supper time.  You need to make sure you know where any missed stuff ends up otherwise you end up feeding unintended critters so be careful if you do try this though.  Mouse particularly likes his biscuits being thrown up and towards a big box he has to jump in to or squeeze in to to get to the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xisare

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried that this week... he looked at his kibble flying, back at us like.. "what the are you doing??"

And tying his spider, stormtrooper mouse to the fishing rod is out usual way to play..

These days he's been way more cuddly, even to the point of sitting in top of us and purring for pets. He's missing us more, becasue now we're both working out of home. We play with him every night in any case. He still stalk and bites, but lot more feinting, even just running (or jumping) on us and going away, but now clearly he just does it when he's hungry XD, at 7 and 7 like clockwork

If everything goes good with budget, will get him a companion in the summer :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like a pretty positive change to me; well done all. 

If he doesn't get his kibble being thrown maybe it isn't for him, but he does have to make the link so you need to show him you have some of his food first and play about him so he starts to be interested - then throw in to a box, or across a room to catch, or skim it along the floor for him to get at.   You can also use it at the end of a laser light game and position the piece of kibble where you shine the spotlight at the end of the game.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xisare

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another late update...

Well  looks like things have settled. He's still a playful hurricane but he just bumps into us or swipes without claws.

Can I say mission accomplished??

Now... yesterday our second quest started: Getting his playmate accustomed to our home :D

Yay!!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
All sounds great so far. 
    Fingers crossed for easy introductions, and that Akodo and your new arrival make good playmates.