I got a very rude post in another group over Cleopatra

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also have a problem with the 'cheaper' argument. That isn't something you can predict. One of my cats was initially a freebie, an orphan that a lady I used to work with had rescued. She already had several dogs and cats and was looking for a home for him. By the time he was 2 years old I had $2,000 in vet bills over and above the routine vet care that I knew I would have. Reputable breeders are not contributing to the shelter problem and in the greater scheme of things they don't even have that many kittens available for people other than other breeders. The world would be a much better place if people would just let other people make a different choice than they would make and keep their opinions to themselves.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

As for shelter kitties being "cheaper". . . well, I could say a lot, but think of it in these terms. While it might seem like you are getting a "better deal" the $$$$ you might pay in vet fees to get the cat healthy and the lifelong costs of behavioral problems from poor socialization can quickly add up to more than the initial cost of a pedigreed cat.
Originally Posted by Denice

I also have a problem with the 'cheaper' argument. That isn't something you can predict. One of my cats was initially a freebie, an orphan that a lady I used to work with had rescued. She already had several dogs and cats and was looking for a home for him. By the time he was 2 years old I had $2,000 in vet bills over and above the routine vet care that I knew I would have.
my 'cheapest' cat to date is Chip - adopted as an adult, was being fostered by a volunteer - he's only had 1 medical problem in the almost 3 years i've had him.
in contrast - Firefox, whom i picked up out of my backyard, had over $1000 in vet bills by the time she was a year old - she was very sickly at the beginning. aside from Mouse, who racked up some major bills before she passed, Firefox is my most expensive cat to date.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am big on saving animals from shelters. Cheaper that way too. I cannot fathom buying from a breeder when I know there are animals all over the world starving and being put to sleep who could use a good home.
In my case I was denied from adopting a cat from a shelter because I do not annually vaccinate!! I did call the shelter and told them they need to get updated on vaccinations and that I refuse to over vaccinate my cats especially after losing one this year to fibrosarcoma. My most recent addition to my household came from a free ad. I now have 2 domestics and 2 pedigreeds. I am furious thinking about all the cats killed at shelters because their rules are so strict very few people can adopt from them! Even my vet was upset over me getting denied.

Also will people who feel so strongly against pedigreed cats feel this way later down the road when some if not many breeds have become extinct(some already have)? Many breeds would be on the endangered list if they were considered a wild species. IMO owning a pedigreed cat is saving cat!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If a poster has been rude to you, please report the post to the moderators. Being rude and flaming is not tolerated on this site and the offending persons will be reminded to review the rules.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't say that you were wrong to get a purebred kitten, but i will say that I am opposed to breeding purebred animals in general. I just think it's selfish to breed cats who could potentially have genetic problems just so that a human can enjoy the way they look. Look at sphynxes for example- there was a hairless kitten born by accident a few decades ago, and then they made an entire breed just from that. Now after tons and tons of breeding the sphynxes they sell are definitely healthier, but think of the first and second litters that were inbred. They were taken advantage of and a huge risk was taken for breeding. Anyway, just my two cents but I don't think you should feel bad, you should feel happy to have any kitten because you are giving it a good home and lots of love, there is nothing better than that for any kitty...

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cleo is a cat, just like the others. you will give her a wonderful home, just like the others and will share many years of companionship and love, just like the others.

where's the problem?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just don't understand why those people are so AGAINST other people wanting to get a pure bred cat. If someone wants a particular breed, what makes people think they'll go out and adopt a moggie from the shelter if the breed is not available? Some will, but some won't. I myself, would just NOT HAVE CATS, if I were told that the breeds I love are not available. I not only like the look, but the personality of Siamese and Bengal cats, and that is what I have. I actually tried to get a Bengal from a rescue group, because Bengal's are so expensive, and because my voice is deep and husky the lady at the rescue thought I was elderly, even though I'm not, and she refused me, and would not even make an appointment where I could go and meet her as well as the cat that needed adopting.

I personally will NEVER AGAIN go to a shelter or a rescue to try to adopt a pure bred cat. I have had two really horrible experiences with those people, and will NEVER deal with them again. They can often treat you like you're a criminal if you try to adopt from them.

I've always been a good fur mummy, in fact my Rainbow Boy Snoopy (a beautiful blue point Siamese) lived to be 20 yrs old, and he was the love of my life, and I loved him as if he was my son. In fact I called him my son.

Anyway, I will always go to a breeder to get any pet I want.

No one has the right to put you down if you want to purchase a purebred cat, especially considering your history of adopting several cats from shelters in the past. You have the right to buy what you want, and it's no one else's business.

By the way, I have 2 Bengal's and 2 Siamese and all 4 of them came from breeders, although my 1 Siamese came from a backyard breeder. He's 10 years old, and I didn't know any better at the time.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just ignore it. I get that all the time too. I am going to be quite honest here, I am not into having pets in order to save the world - if I get one that desperately needed a home that is a bonus, but that is not why I choose to have pets in the first place. I have never irresponsibly allowed a pet to breed. I have never put an animal in a shelter or turned one out onto the streets or been responsible for the production of unwanted animals. It is not my fault if other people do not care for their pets as responsibly as I do. It is not my fault if other people irresponsibly allow their pets to produce unwanted offspring. It is not my responsibility to sort out the mess that other people make. I do donate to shelters and animal charities, but the world the way it is - that is NOT of my making and I have not 'contributed' unwanted pets to the population, and I will not be made to feel guilty for making my own choice when it comes to what pets I want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so mad when I read that.
I would love to show Cleo and I plan on getting another pure bred one day.
Its not easy saving ferals.
I still have the scars from some of them.
Everytime I was going to get a pure bred We would save a feral or a cat that would have gone to the pound.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why we need to keep defending ourselves about the desire to get and/or breed purebreds....but we do. I try to be as brief as possible for the reasons.

I usually wind up saying something like "ethical breeders are not the problem with shelter cats - its the backyard breeders that are the problem"

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I don't know why we need to keep defending ourselves about the desire to get and/or breed purebreds....but we do.
Because there is always somone pointing an ignorant, uneducated finger at breeders and those who want breed cats.

Shelter cats exist because of irresponsible pet owners. Period.

Not even BYB of breed cats are at fault because it is exceedingly rare for a breed cat to be in a shelter to begin with. In the rare event that one does show up, in most circumstances a breed rescue will step in and remove the cat from the shelter for re-homing.

I hope that one day soon the folks that run, work and volunteer for shelters will take the blinders off and see things for what they really are. I know a few that see what I'm saying is factual, so don't think I'm lumping everyone in. However it does seem the majority blame the breeders without just cause.

I refuse to let a single one of my clients be an irresposible pet owner and they sign a contract to that effect. No cat of ours is to ever see a shelter. They must be surrendered back to us without protest if the owner can't care for them anymore.
The breeders I know and am friends with all do this.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is good that the contracts say the cat has to go back to the breeder if they can not be kept.
I agree the pound is not full of pure breds.
I just wish people wpuld not say stuff without knowing the whole story.
I just ignored her post.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ignore the person who posted that to you! All my cats were rescues in my first years as a cat owner. I feel that I deserve a beautiful purebred in my life too! You deserve a beautiful purebred sphynx too!!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ignore that person. Said person seriously needs to get a life. You have 4 cats in your sig…. Four…. Not many people will provide a happy loving home to four cats.

All animal lovers have a specific breed they love. I have been saving animals for many, many years, rehoming, paying out of my own pocket to fix/get needles/fix wounds to strays, volunteering, etc… like most of you all. Yet, one day, when my boyfriend and I move into a bigger home I will get my purebred German Shepherd. It would be nice if it was a rescue… if its not, well, he/she will still be an animal that I take into my home and love with all of my heart… I will still continue doing what I do now in my efforts to help unfortunate animals.

Anyone who has a problem with that can sit in a corner and freakishly argue with himself or herself… because I don’t care… neither should you. You are a wonderful and caring person who is getting a cat you always wanted. Don’t let some loser ruin that for you.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is WOW.

Before I read all of this I had mixed emotions of breeders vs. shelters, BUT I never tried to persuade anyone from their personal decisions because I felt like I had no right-I hadn't even made up my OWN mind on the subject, how am I supposed to tell someone else what to do?

This is by FAR the BEST thread EVER. I no longer feel guilty that I eventually want to get a pure bred (from a reputable breeder) Sphinx and Bengal. And I WILL NOT feel guilty when I have said animals. And I no longer have the slight feeling of "do I agree with what they are doing" when I see breeders/pure bred cats.

What set off my euphony was the follow statements:
-Shelters are NOT full of pure bred cats

-Almost every one of them is spayed (I knew this)

-They are NOT contributing to homeless animals

-People who get pure breds are not keeping a homeless cat from getting a home, they were looking for a specific breed, which is NOT a mix breed. Granted there are rescues, but they are not always local/have wait lists/and some are over strict (hopehackers post)

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never did reply to that nasty post.
What hopehacker said is right.
My Sister was treated that way when she went to adopt.
I asked for a fixed kitten that can be shown.
I have 4 cats all mixes and Cleo is my first purebred.
I also did alot of research before I got her.