I don't know what's wrong with my kitten, is she dying??

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you that means a lot to me, I haven't been helping her to go to the bathroom I don't know how or didn't realise I had to.. What is it I should do? Thank you so much once again
This is very important. Kittens cannot go to the bathroom unless you help them. Use a cotton ball or cloth damp with warm water and rub the genitals like mom would lick. You have to do this before and after each feeding. Do this until they go. If kitten is with mom sometimes, mom may help too.

Please do this immediately.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw that video - I think it shows the kitten lying on its back only so you can see what's happening. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the kitten should be held upright.
Kitten does not have to be upright. Unlike feeding this can be done however is comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is very important. Kittens cannot go to the bathroom unless you help them. Use a cotton ball or cloth damp with warm water and rub the genitals like mom would lick. You have to do this before and after each feeding. Do this until they go. If kitten is with mom sometimes, mom may help too.

Please do this immediately.
She's been going to the bathroom fine so I didn't realise I had too, but will definitely do that now then! Thank you

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten does not have to be upright. Unlike feeding this can be done however is comfortable.
I've just done as you said and she peed straight away, thank you for the advice will continue to do this after every feed

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great.  Kittens can't reliably go to the bathrooms the,selves until they are three or so weeks old.  

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't really add anything better than what you have already been told.  I will be following this thread very carefully, and rooting for Lucky every step of the way!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She should be fine with her mom between feedings as long as she stays in the warm kitten pile.  Mom will lick her and do the potty wash too, although you should do it too just in case.  Nothing cleans a kitten as well as a mama cat's tongue.   Just watch her for a little when you first put her back to make sure she is strong enough to surf the pile and not get stuck underneath.

Kittens usually claim one particular nipple for themselves early on and always return to it.  Maybe you can help her at least get used to being in the litter while you continue to feed her.   It sounds like you are doing a great job so far.  There's nothing like trying to save one to make you bond deeply with that special one.  It's a good thing you are only 18 because you can survive the lack of uninterrupted sleep for awhile!    Young mothers do it on a regular basis.   Kittens mature a lot faster than human babies so it won't be too long before you'll start getting more sleep.  

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't really add anything better than what you have already been told.  I will be following this thread very carefully, and rooting for Lucky every step of the way!
Thank you, the support means a lot I really appreciate it and hopefully she is lucky enough to pull through this!

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She should be fine with her mom between feedings as long as she stays in the warm kitten pile.  Mom will lick her and do the potty wash too, although you should do it too just in case.  Nothing cleans a kitten as well as a mama cat's tongue.   Just watch her for a little when you first put her back to make sure she is strong enough to surf the pile and not get stuck underneath.

Kittens usually claim one particular nipple for themselves early on and always return to it.  Maybe you can help her at least get used to being in the litter while you continue to feed her.   It sounds like you are doing a great job so far.  There's nothing like trying to save one to make you bond deeply with that special one.  It's a good thing you are only 18 because you can survive the lack of uninterrupted sleep for awhile!    Young mothers do it on a regular basis.   Kittens mature a lot faster than human babies so it won't be too long before you'll start getting more sleep.  
I don't mind not having much sleep as long as she gets better, it's difficult with work etc but I genuinely don't mind as long as it means she has the best possible chance of survival. I've tried putting her back with the litter but she just gets stuck underneath them all and isn't strong enough yet compared to the rest of them. Thank you for the advice, I'll try putting her back again I just don't want a repeat of last time I'm just worried about her but I'm hopeful that she can pull though this! The advice really does mean the world to me as I wouldn't have known what to do with her going to the toilet and all the other extremely helpful tips I've received. Thank you so much again.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I've been away working nights now so really having to adjust my sleep patterns and needless to say my senior girls are not happy to have their feeding schedules thrown off!! :)

Just wanted to add, wrapping in a blanket does not keep the baby warm, that will once they are able to hold their body temperature, but until then will drop temp down to room temp, so it must be a heating source, heating pad, rice filled sock heated, hot water bottle, etc.

I do think that the only thing you need to be doing is the feeding, then put back with mom and sibs, watching to make sure he does not end up off on his own, that mom is tending to him just as much as the others :)

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I've been away working nights now so really having to adjust my sleep patterns and needless to say my senior girls are not happy to have their feeding schedules thrown off!! :)

Just wanted to add, wrapping in a blanket does not keep the baby warm, that will once they are able to hold their body temperature, but until then will drop temp down to room temp, so it must be a heating source, heating pad, rice filled sock heated, hot water bottle, etc.

I do think that the only thing you need to be doing is the feeding, then put back with mom and sibs, watching to make sure he does not end up off on his own, that mom is tending to him just as much as the others :)
I've been putting her with a sock filled with rice now all day and have been putting it in the microwave to keep it warm :) I have tried putting her back with mum but she seems to get stuck under the pile and pushed around by her brothers and sisters because she's so weak.. I'm going to try again though and then just take her for her feeds! Thank you for the help :)

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've put her back in the litter but she just seems to be completely distancing herself from the others and her mum. She's cuddling up to the heat source (sock filled with rice) but isn't attempting to go near mum or the other kittens. Is this okay? I'm just really worried that putting her back will make her as bad as before:( thank you!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would personally keep her separated until she's a bit stronger. Will she nurse from mom when all the others are sleeping? If so, you could leave her in for some feeding time. It seems like mom isn't too bothered with her right now so I wouldn't assume that any of her needs are being met.

I also hope that you will consider having them all spayed and neutered when appropriate. Kittens are really hard!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little thing, thank goodness you are looking out for her. Keep up the great work. If she makes it you two will have a very special bond. Sending you and the kitten good vibes 

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I would personally keep her separated until she's a bit stronger. Will she nurse from mom when all the others are sleeping? If so, you could leave her in for some feeding time. It seems like mom isn't too bothered with her right now so I wouldn't assume that any of her needs are being met.

I also hope that you will consider having them all spayed and neutered when appropriate. Kittens are really hard!
Definitely will do that, where should I keep her separated just with some blankets in a basket or something with a heat source? She has a heat source with her now but it's in the bed with her and her mum. And definitely! Thanks

beccalouiseeee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little thing, thank goodness you are looking out for her. Keep up the great work. If she makes it you two will have a very special bond. Sending you and the kitten good vibes :vibes:
thank you so much that means a lot! I already love her so much and have such a special connection with her I'd be so heartbroken if the worst was to happen I really would! And thank you for your appreciation it's lovely to feel like I'm actually helping her because that's all I want to do!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I felt sad when i saw the pic. Just such an innocent little punkin :(
Unless you are feeding her she really should be kept in with them. Just keep a heat source for her too.

Well at least she is still with us :))

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've put her back in the litter but she just seems to be completely distancing herself from the others and her mum. She's cuddling up to the heat source (sock filled with rice) but isn't attempting to go near mum or the other kittens. Is this okay? I'm just really worried that putting her back will make her as bad as before:( thank you!
You are going to have to meet her needs. that said her being with her siblings and mother if they are not hurting her is better even if she has a separate heat source. She may have been pushed out of the way enough that she is no longer seeking her mothers nipples. Nature on it's own often culls the weakest in a litter or herd. That doesn't mean we can't intervene and help them out.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its possible that she hasn't nursed successfully from mama cat for a long time so she doesn't feel the urge to try.  It's even possible the mom rejected her for some reason.  My friend raised a little black kitten that was rejected by its mom three times before people stopped putting it back with her.  The kitten made it but would not have if he were left with his mom and siblings.   You have become her mom, and the source of food and warmth, and you may end up raising her alone for a few weeks.  We do it all the time in rescue.  My friend specializes in orphan bottle babies and has a whole system worked out.  She has converted baby car seats into kitten incubators and uses a baby bird heat lamp on each one, and the babies can get closer or further from the heat lamp as they choose.  Usually they lie pretty much under it, just like the chicks do in the incubator tubs at Tractor Supply this time of year. 

Status
Not open for further replies.