I Don't Know What To Do! - Updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is starting to keep pedialyte down but she is also,having her kittens! The 2 kitten was breech so i had to help her or it would have suffocated. She seems to be having a hard time having them though

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica923

I think getting the kittens out is important. She may improve. She may have been experiencing eclampsia or diabetes.

Continue helping and comforting her. She is surely very weak!

Please give her as much pedialyte as she will drink. Offer her wet cat food as well.

Do you have kitten formula on hand?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica923

Please let us know how mom and kittens are doing!

You may need kitten formula if she does not initially produce enough milk since she's been sick, or if a weak kitten needs help.

Walmart sells the PetAg powdered formula for $10 a can. It can be mixed with pedialyte or water.

Mom should have a dish of kitten formula a day to help with her calcium levels.

If you have none on hand, and cannot get it until tomorrow, and you need something tonight, you can make homemade kitten glop.

This would be a beaten egg yolk, a tablespoon of mayonnaise, a pinch of honey or sugar, a pinch of salt, and a tablespoon of water. Mix together.

It can be fed drop by drop to a kitten using a needless syringe or a dropper, in the side of the kitten's mouth, while the kitten is tummy down with head up.

The glop should be warm, and the kitten should be warm. You would give 1-2mLs every 1-2 hours.

You may not need this information, but I wanted you to have it just in case.

Please keep us updated on mom and kittens.

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
J Jessica923

I think getting the kittens out is important. She may improve. She may have been experiencing eclampsia or diabetes.

Continue helping and comforting her. She is surely very weak!

Please give her as much pedialyte as she will drink. Offer her wet cat food as well.

Do you have kitten formula on hand?
J Jessica923

Please let us know how mom and kittens are doing!

You may need kitten formula if she does not initially produce enough milk since she's been sick, or if a weak kitten needs help.

Walmart sells the PetAg powdered formula for $10 a can. It can be mixed with pedialyte or water.

Mom should have a dish of kitten formula a day to help with her calcium levels.

If you have none on hand, and cannot get it until tomorrow, and you need something tonight, you can make homemade kitten glop.

This would be a beaten egg yolk, a tablespoon of mayonnaise, a pinch of honey or sugar, a pinch of salt, and a tablespoon of water. Mix together.

It can be fed drop by drop to a kitten using a needless syringe or a dropper, in the side of the kitten's mouth, while the kitten is tummy down with head up.

The glop should be warm, and the kitten should be warm. You would give 1-2mLs every 1-2 hours.

You may not need this information, but I wanted you to have it just in case.

Please keep us updated on mom and kittens.
Thank you so much for that info. Momma cat had 2 babies so far. This 1st came out fine but the placenta was still inside when the 2nd came out breech. The 2nd one s placenta came out with it while the first ones was still inside momma. We got the placenta s out but a 3rd placenta came out with a cord but no kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica923

Can you tell if she has more kittens to deliver?

The third kitten will not be alive since the placenta is detached.

Are the two kittens nursing?

How is mom doing?

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
J Jessica923

Can you tell if she has more kittens to deliver?

The third kitten will not be alive since the placenta is detached.

Are the two kittens nursing?

How is mom doing?

She had 1 more kitten an hour ago and it was alive!!! I called the vet and told them what was happening and they walked me through the steps on tying off the umbilical cord and the placenta then I cut it with a hot surgical knife to cauterize it and after that I placed all the kittens with my other cat that just had kittens today also and she's letting them nurse from her mama cat is not doing good she is almost gone she's laying in my closet her eyes are shut and glazed over and she's gasping for air I feel horrible because there's nothing I can do and I have to sit here and watch her pass away because no vet here will help me or work with me

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So there were 4 placentas but 3 kittens?

How many kittens are nursing from the other mother? If there are too many they may need supplementing.

I feel extremely sad about the poor mother cat in the closet. Is she still alive?

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So there were 4 placentas but 3 kittens?

How many kittens are nursing from the other mother? If there are too many they may need supplementing.

I feel extremely sad about the poor mother cat in the closet. Is she still alive?
yes there was 3 kittens and 4 placenta s the other cat had 4 kittens and now she's taking care of 7. The momma cat that had the 3 is still alive. After she had the 2nd kitten she got up and are wet food and drank a lot of water but now she's doing worse than before. I really thought she was going to die early this morning but she's still hanging in there for now. She is keeping her mouth wide open now though and it's like she can't get enough air. I feel so bad for her. I wish there was something I could give her to ease her pain.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you take her to a clinic? It sounds like she needs antibiotics for an infection.

I gave you a link for a coupon for a free consultation at a Banfield.

Antibiotics are not expensive.

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont have a car and dont know anyone around here. And the closest one to me is 33 miles away

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How do you get to the store for food?

Please keep giving the cat pedialyte. She needs fluids.

Are all 7 kittens nursing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica923

Another thing you can do is to hold mom in your lap in the bathroom with a hot shower running to create steam. This may help her to breathe better for a few minutes.

I sure hope she pulls through!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried reaching out to any rescues in your area? Perhaps they could help you with transport. It's very sad that your cat is suffering.

You will need to keep an eye on the 7 kittens, as there are likely to be runts. Can you get a small scale to weigh them daily?

And can you keep both moms inside and away from intact males?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let us know when you have a chance to let us know how mom and kittens are doing. We feel like we are on pins and needles out here and are worried about them and you.

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly momma cat passed away in my arms I held her for 4 hours before she took her last breath. She look at me and meowed like she knew she was going. I just sat and cried and told her it was ok for her to go, that her babies are taken care of and that i would keep them safe the best i could. But I would like to thank everyone who was there for me through this. Thank you for your advice, kind words, and your compassion. Thank you all for trying to help me get help for her when no one else would. The vets here wouldn't even work with me. It would be nice to have one good vet Dr. With a kind and caring heart but there's none here where I live. Baby kittens are doing great they fit right in with the other momma and her kittens. She treats them like they're her own. But thankyou again from the bottom of my heart.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry that the mother cat passed away. I wish more could have been done for her.

I hope you can get the other mom spayed after the 7 kittens wean and before she conceives again.

There are low-cost clinics for spaying in your area. I'll be happy to locate one for you.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry she passed away. :( I hope her kittens survive; I know it's very tough looking after such young ones.