I Couldn't Deal With It

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick had his 50th class reunion tonight. Social hour from 5:30 to 6:30, followed by dinner, followed by an open mic for people to talk about memories and such, followed by a Chinese auction. Rick had to be there by 5:00 because he's on the committee and he was the MC for the night. I told him I'd be there at 6:15.

I made it through dinner and part of the open mic thing. But they kept getting louder and louder. People kept walking around and talking and hugging. And I couldn't handle it. I just couldn't. I'm not a social butterfly by any stretch. We were sitting with nice people (heck, I was sitting next to my sister because my BIL and Rick graduated together), so that wasn't the problem. But it got so loud. I told Rick I was leaving, gave him a kiss, said good-bye to my sister and BIL and left. I made it a little over two hours at the reunion.

And I was never so glad to get to my car. I know Rick is going to be upset, but I just couldn't deal with it one more minute.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Reunions are never what they're cracked up to be. They're either old cliques reforming or people showing how well off they are. Most of the hugging and kissing is phony. I support you 100%.

I didn't go to my 50th and I'm not going to my 55th in October.

If Rick has anything to say, let me tell him how it is.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you, too. I am mildly, very mildly, deaf in one ear, and when crowds get loud like that - jabbering or music - I can't hear anything unless someone shouts in my other ear. So I end up sitting there like a bump on a log with a stone face, and people think that's what I am. I don't like to go to those things or even noisy restaurants.

You went and did your duty, so Rick can't get mad at you.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I too have some hearing loss and those types of settings make me so nervous because I literally can't hear a damn thing. And I don't like being around crowds of people that I don't know. Heck i don't like crowds anyways. You did more than I would have...i wouldn't even gone but everyone in my life knows I hate loud functions unless there's music. I can deal with music. But nope not talking nonsense to strangers who ai probably never see again.

Your husband should be happy that you made the effort to go...and I've never been to any of my reunions. Hated school and don't intend on going back. Like someone said above, it's all look at me, look what I have type of bs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
He wasn't upset. He's familiar with my introverted side; he doesn't understand it, but he knows. He came home around 11:00 or so. He's very social, loves to be around people and these are his classmates, so he was fine with it. Thank goodness.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too am done with reunions. When I went to my 50th, it was same old, same old; and with my hearing loss thrown in for good measure, it was a night to forget. Whenever I tried talking with someone, the background noise made it impossible to carry on a conversation. Also, all the 'cool kids' seemed to group together, sharing memories, probably, of events that I never took part in. The only positive was seeing how time had dealt with some of them, and in many cases, it wasn't kindly.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand you fully well. I am not a people person myself, which is exactly the opposite of my husband who can run for a seat in the senate and probably win based on the number of friends he has. LOL. And Mother Dragon Mother Dragon is right, most of the hellos and how are yous are probably phony or not really sincere. So I am also with you. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a people person myself. I was told I have a fake Facebook account because I have so few friends. I could care less what every Tom, Dick, and Harry is doing every minute of the day. My whole life is not based on the internet. People spend WAY too much time telling others exactly what they are doing instead of living their life. What a waste of precious time!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I get overstimulated in situations like that as well. You know your limits, and removing yourself when you have reached your "social quota" is the best you can do. Your husband understands and I'm sure if extremely grateful that you were there for him for a bit!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It was nice of you to go even for two hours! :clap:

I can relate--had to go to an extended family (not even my family) event last night that was just painfully loud, full of polite smiles and small talk. Fortunately, hubby was ready to go early, too, and we made our escape even before the birthday cake was cut. :running:

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never been to any class reunion. None. I went to a huge high school and we had around 400 in my class. I remember maybe a handful of people, because we were in more than one class together. I still have no desire to meet up with these people and reminisce.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes having young kids is nice because they make for a really good excuse to leave things early. :lol2: I didn't even ask DH to go with me to my 10th. I let him stay home with DD who was still very small. He has never mentioned any of his reunions.

My 20th is coming up if someone has bothered to plan it. I haven't heard. My 10th was surprisingly nice. It didn't have a huge turnout but enough. They had a nice memorial for a few classmates who had passed on and instead of some kind of reunion t-shirt; they did a fundraiser for cancer research in one classmates memory.

I don't understand some of the reunions though. 5 years? You've barely made it out of college. I'm good with 10 and 20. Although I'm not committing myself to the 20th yet. If we have a 50th; maybe. Most of the people from high school that I lost touch with and wanted to speak to again are on Facebook. That's good enough for me.

Now my Grandpa gets a kick out of going to his high school reunions. He's 97 and I think he was about 92 the last time he went to one. It was a multi-year one of course and I have no idea who was sponsoring them at his age!! I asked how it went after one and he told me it was full of old people. :flail:He was really hoping the "girl" who used to compliment his teeth would be there and compliment him again so he could take his out and show her. :flail: Grandpa's sense of humor has gotten stronger with age. ;)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He wasn't upset. He's familiar with my introverted side; he doesn't understand it, but he knows. He came home around 11:00 or so. He's very social, loves to be around people and these are his classmates, so he was fine with it. Thank goodness.
You made it 2 hours longer than I would have. DH and I went to the same HS just not at the same time. I wouldn't go to his if he were still here and I will never go to my own. I hated that place and most of the people. I haven't spoken to 99% of them since I graduated and don't care to. Those things are so phony anyway. Plus, our HS is in NY and I'm in Florida. Not happening. Ever.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was bullied at school so would hate to go to any of their future reunions. I agree that they seem fake - I don't see the need to cling on to people you haven't talked to since secondary school. If you wanted to keep contact with them, you would.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an outgoing people person but I have never been and would not go to my high school reunions. I have friends I have kept in touch with. I have no desire to hang out with people who spent years ignoring me. I have moved on with my life and prefer to keep it that way. I also would not expect my hubby to want to hang out with the people I did not keep in touch with from high school. He would not feel comfortable either.

We did end up going to one of my hubby's high school reunions. We were in town for something else and were invited to attend by multiple people we ran into while out at a bar with friends the night before. There were going to be people there that I knew and was already comfortable interacting with. Hubby did tell me that if at any time I felt uncomfortable we could leave. He went to a high school in a much different environment then I did. I felt very welcome around his class mates.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always felt that reunions should be attended by the graduates only, not spouses or partners, unless they wanted to go. I went to a few of my ex-husband's and thought "why am I here?"