Cat wont stop clawing my eyes at night!

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every night she hops into bed with me, and never fails to claw at my eyes. Thankfully, she never presses real hard, but it still makes me nervous! I think she likes the attention it gives her, but I'm worried about losing my eyesight! What can I do to discourage this?

She has to get in my room because that is where she has her litter box and food/water.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, cats are keen observers of humans, and know very well that "eyes closed = sleep, eyes open = awake, and can play with me." It sounds as if she is more "patting" your eyes to wake you up. THAT SAID, it isn't behavior you want! My best advice is the same as A Alldara 's, EEP at her. Let her know that it is a problem for you. And do it EVERY SINGLE TIME! With cats, you must be consistent!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your response. I have a sleep mask but don't like to wear it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Every night she hops into bed with me, and never fails to claw at my eyes. Thankfully, she never presses real hard, but it still makes me nervous! I think she likes the attention it gives her, but I'm worried about losing my eyesight! What can I do to discourage this?
Cats do that especially kittens as when we sleep and close our eyes, there's random eye movements (REM) and that attracts the inquisitive cats to poke our eyes.

Can you have one of her favorite toy by your side when you sleep and use it to distract her when she tries to claw your eyes? Also you can sleep facing away from her.

My boy does that to me when he was a kitten and after distracting him and telling him no and thankfully, he outgrew to and stopped.