I can’t get up because …

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have always had trouble getting Willy to cooperate with rear nail trimming, so I don't do them as often as I should. That means frequent lap-gouges when he jumps off.

Even when it's not a surprise. If I really need to get up, I wake him up with pets, then say "up" and he gently jumps off. But still digs into my clothes/skin.

I have another thread about nail trimming tips, and need to work on that harder.
I’ve never bothered trimming back claws, probably a leftover from when my cats went outside and they wore down naturally. But even trimmed back claws would hurt when they’re taking off in fright!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have always had trouble getting Willy to cooperate with rear nail trimming, so I don't do them as often as I should. That means frequent lap-gouges when he jumps off.

Even when it's not a surprise. If I really need to get up, I wake him up with pets, then say "up" and he gently jumps off. But still digs into my clothes/skin.

I have another thread about nail trimming tips, and need to work on that harder.
I’ve never bothered trimming back claws, probably a leftover from when my cats went outside and they wore down naturally. But even trimmed back claws would hurt when they’re taking off in fright!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a king sized bed. It's just the cats and me. 90% of the bed is theirs. I get my 10% unless they plan on using that part. My 10% is on the left side unless they decide that they want it. I have had to lay across the top of the bed on many occasions because they found a comfy spot in the 10% previously allotted to me and according to them rules are made to be broken so I get what they decide I get and the rules change daily. It's amazing how much space two small cats can take up when they want to stretch out but they are my babies and they get what they want.
That’s one of the kitty rules from the old Cheezburger site - cats can expand to take all available space. :lol:
My Katie (a small cat) used to sleep sideways in my bed with her back feet braced against my back. I’d sleep right on the edge of the bed and often woke up with Cat Back as a result … and once fell out of the bed while I was asleep!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main reason I want to do it more is furniture damage.

His front claws were taken away before he was with me, but rear claws still do plenty of damage. When zooming around and jumping on furniture, it can put holes... they don't seem like a big deal at first, because you can barely see them, but they just continue to open up over time.

My leg gouges aren't as much of a concern to me.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main reason I want to do it more is furniture damage.

His front claws were taken away before he was with me, but rear claws still do plenty of damage. When zooming around and jumping on furniture, it can put holes... they don't seem like a big deal at first, because you can barely see them, but they just continue to open up over time.

My leg gouges aren't as much of a concern to me.
Ah, the furniture damage here comes from Phoebe’s front claws, and that happens even when she’s just had her manicure!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a king sized bed. It's just the cats and me. 90% of the bed is theirs. I get my 10% unless they plan on using that part. My 10% is on the left side unless they decide that they want it. I have had to lay across the top of the bed on many occasions because they found a comfy spot in the 10% previously allotted to me and according to them rules are made to be broken so I get what they decide I get and the rules change daily. It's amazing how much space two small cats can take up when they want to stretch out but they are my babies and they get what they want.
Have you ever wriggled out from your position on the bed, looked at the size of space you actually had, and thought "how the heck did I even fit in there?"

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many times. Then I get, "thanks for finally moving. I wanted that spot." :lol:
Sometimes I have to physically move Willy off my lap because I have to get up, like if I'm cooking something and I need to check on it.

He will always follow me into the kitchen to inspect what I'm doing (probably just to double-check that I have not spontaneously decided to give him extra food outside of mealtimes, which never happens).

Once he is satisfied by his inspection (or disappointed, depending on his motives), he immediately goes back to my seat and sprawls out all over it before I have the chance to sit down again.

And then, despite the fact that he always wants to be on my lap, he won't budge. I have to physically pick him up, sit down, and place him back on my lap.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I have to physically move Willy off my lap because I have to get up, like if I'm cooking something and I need to check on it.

He will always follow me into the kitchen to inspect what I'm doing (probably just to double-check that I have not spontaneously decided to give him extra food outside of mealtimes, which never happens).

Once he is satisfied by his inspection (or disappointed, depending on his motives), he immediately goes back to my seat and sprawls out all over it before I have the chance to sit down again.

And then, despite the fact that he always wants to be on my lap, he won't budge. I have to physically pick him up, sit down, and place him back on my lap.
That is just like Daisy, who has to inspect everything (sitting on the kitchen bench watching me mix porridge or demanding her Special Drink) and Phoebe (who pinches Mum’s chair every evening when she removes her from her lap).