I can’t get up because …

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hilarious thing about that is, some people might say, "cell phones eliminate that." Like, we don't have land lines sitting in set locations anymore. We can grab our cell phones anywhere.

But the truth is, sometimes I leave my cell phone out of reach, and my cat has settled down on my lap. And so I don't feel able to get up to reach it 😅
I was thinking how mobiles don’t change the matter of going out to appointments. If the phone’s in reach it just means you can make the “Sorry, I can’t come” call … :zzzcat:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats curl up on on my bed waiting for me to get dressed, and I have to pull and tug to make it up with them on it. I would never make them move, and as it is, I bury my face in their fur and hum to them. They always start purring.
Mine sleep on my bed all night, and bounce off when I get up, but sometimes I feel a certain resistance to straightening the covers and find it’s because someone is hanging onto them from the other side!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When this happens does anyone else try to turn into liquid and slide out from under the cat so their position isn't disturbed and they can take over the spot you warmed up for them? Because I sure don't. 🤥
I console myself knowing they’ll follow me anyway to supurrvise.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd extend it to, "Cat's in my lap, and I'm stuck watching this crappy reality show or court TV program... I'll get back to you."
“Listen, the cat’s in my lap and I can’t even reach my knitting, you think I’m getting up to answer the phone? Leave a message.”

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I console myself knowing they’ll follow me anyway to supurrvise.
Willy didn't used to do this, but he is doing it now. Even when he's actually sleeping on the couch next to me... and completely out cold... as soon as I get up to go to the kitchen which is one room over, he follows me.

This is a fairly recent development, like in the last year out of the 8-9 years he's lived with me.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willy didn't used to do this, but he is doing it now. Even when he's actually sleeping on the couch next to me... and completely out cold... as soon as I get up to go to the kitchen which is one room over, he follows me.

This is a fairly recent development, like in the last year out of the 8-9 years he's lived with me.
These two have always done it, and in this unit the toilet and bathroom are in the one room, and is where their litter box is, so the door is never closed. They supurrvise everything in there - showers, face washing, teeth brushing, toilet …

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These two have always done it, and in this unit the toilet and bathroom are in the one room, and is where their litter box is, so the door is never closed. They supurrvise everything in there - showers, face washing, teeth brushing, toilet …
I don't let Willy in the bathroom because he doesn't just supervise, he wants to participate. As in climbing on the sink, jumping in the bathtub (before water is running), and worst of all, jump on your lap when sitting on the toilet... the latter was enough to start closing the door...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A very extreme reaction from two cats who are not OK with their person being in a box of water! (Not my video.)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't let Willy in the bathroom because he doesn't just supervise, he wants to participate. As in climbing on the sink, jumping in the bathtub (before water is running), and worst of all, jump on your lap when sitting on the toilet... the latter was enough to start closing the door...
I’ve had cats who sit on the lap while I’m on the loo! Makes it a trifle difficult to concentrate … these two do their supurrvising from on the sink or the laundry basket, which is right next to it. Daisy will sometimes sit there while I shower, though lately she’s just sat in the doorway.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
😅 First time I've ever heard "cat gravity" 😅

I generally steer clear of cat memes though.
lol
Hubby and I have referred to this phenomenon as cat gravity for years.
I only discovered recently that it has been used in memes, but they are usually more about how cats defy gravity.

🤣🤣🤣 phone messages

Sorry, not worth the gouges I’d get on my thighs from my cat launching off my lap… please leave a message.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol
Hubby and I have referred to this phenomenon as cat gravity for years.
I only discovered recently that it has been used in memes, but they are usually more about how cats defy gravity.

🤣🤣🤣 phone messages

Sorry, not worth the gouges I’d get on my thighs from my cat launching off my lap… please leave a message.
Gouged legs are reason enough to have a mobile phone on silent! 😖

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have always had trouble getting Willy to cooperate with rear nail trimming, so I don't do them as often as I should. That means frequent lap-gouges when he jumps off.

Even when it's not a surprise. If I really need to get up, I wake him up with pets, then say "up" and he gently jumps off. But still digs into my clothes/skin.

I have another thread about nail trimming tips, and need to work on that harder.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a king sized bed. It's just the cats and me. 90% of the bed is theirs. I get my 10% unless they plan on using that part. My 10% is on the left side unless they decide that they want it. I have had to lay across the top of the bed on many occasions because they found a comfy spot in the 10% previously allotted to me and according to them rules are made to be broken so I get what they decide I get and the rules change daily. It's amazing how much space two small cats can take up when they want to stretch out but they are my babies and they get what they want.