Hurricane Isabel

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last I saw on the hurricane for my part of the USA is that it's supposed to start the downpour sometime after midnight tonight, and throughout the day tomorrow (Friday). They said to be prepared for winds up to 100mph (161kph), even though it's 'only' a borderline category 2-3 hurricane. I'm hoping that by the time it reaches Northeastern PA, the winds and rain will have calmed down more than anticipated.

Hope everyone stays safe!

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is starting to worry me now. I am in the Niagara peninsula, and we are under a heavy wind advistory and heavy rainfall warning. And Toronto is not. So that means we should be hit even harder than Toronto. And from what I can see on the news, they are all going nuts in Toronto getting ready. I know its not like you folks on the east coast, but we're not used to this. They are predicting well over 2 feet of rain by the end of Friday, beginning this evening.

Oh well, I just duct taped a cracked window, I can't think of anything else to do.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just watched the local news and it looks like our wind gusts are only going to be up to 60mph (96.5kph) instead of 100mph. I'm happy about that. Now if they could just decrease a bit more and leave out the downpouring it would be fantastic.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Russian Blue

I have enough falling trees to worry about here! Take a look:

[/b]
You're gonna think this advice odd, but it worked for me in an ice storm last year - our yard and trees looked a lot like yours and we lost about 1/3 of the tops of every tree and totally lost about 25 others.

We actually leaned a couple of long, fallen branches (about 30-40 feet long) against the house, so that as others fell, they would slide down the leaning branches. It actually worked, as we only had 2 crushed gutters and a small broken patch of siding.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Russian Blue

I have enough falling trees to worry about here! Take a look:

[/b]
You're gonna think this advice odd, but it worked for me in an ice storm last year - our yard and trees looked a lot like yours and we lost about 1/3 of the tops of every tree and totally lost about 25 others.

We actually leaned a couple of long, fallen branches (about 30-40 feet long) against the house, so that as others fell, they would slide down the leaning branches. It actually worked, as we only had 2 crushed gutters and a small broken patch of siding.

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the storm went well east of us (we're in central North Carolina). We got rain and some winds, but really not worst than a big thunder storm (without the thunder and lightening.) Isabel is pretty much past us now.

George