Hurricane Isabel

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had knew more about it's path I would have for sure locked up the plants & chairs etc etc so they wouldn't blow around. But today is the most beautiful fine day so looks like it's over for us, Phew!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHAT!!!!!!!!!! You can feel Isabel from NZ???? OMG that is crazy!

Here, I am feeling some of it, the winds are getting strong, but I doubt it will get much worse, hopefully.

Stay safe everyone!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by SkyKitty
Our biggest worry however is the trees that we are surrounded by (40 Acres). Quite a few of them are very close the our house, I think that's about the only thing we can't prepare for and I'm not cutting them down!
I think this is the only time I would not want to be at the cottage! But my mom and stepdad are up there so I hope everyone stays safe!

Meanwhile we have no emergency supplies.....typical Torontonian!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sam! I am glad you are safe though! That would be scary!

What I don't get are the people who stand on the shoreline watching the thing come in......"Come on honey, lets pack a picnic lunch and go down to the beach to watch the tsunami!" I mean, get a clue here people- get the heck out of Dodge or stay inside!

I thought it pretty ominous when they said on the news this morning that anyone staying in the area where Isobel will hit, needs to put their name and next of kin's phone number in permanent marker on their arm! "Just in case!" YIKES!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maryanne!

Some people are really pathetic! If I ever experience a full-blow tornado I would be so scared!

Yeah I know it's crazy Kellye- Looks like Isabel is trying to hit everyone- It was actually quite a strong wind and not as feeble as the newsreaders had said it was going to be!

jmierz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been at work, has Isabella made landfall yet? How are things going with the hurricane? I am praying for everyones safety, including all the fur babies.

skykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Russian Blue
I think this is the only time I would not want to be at the cottage! But my mom and stepdad are up there so I hope everyone stays safe!

Meanwhile we have no emergency supplies.....typical Torontonian!

Maybe you should give your Mom and Stepdad a call and tell them to prepare for the worst. Better to be safe than sorry!

I especially love the typical Torontonian!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should give your Mom and Stepdad a call and tell them to prepare for the worst. Better to be safe than sorry!
Oh, they are well prepared!! I'm more worried about this typical Torontonian!!

I especially love the typical Torontonian!
That's me! When can I expect an invite for dinner?

skykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Russian Blue
That's me! When can I expect an invite for dinner?
How's tomorrow sound?
You can even spend the weekend and we can have a Hurricane Isabel partay!

Or do you think you'll be to nervous?

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To show you how much strength Isabel has check out the latest Ontario forcast.

From CP24.com:

We knew it was coming. And now the warnings are here. Environment Canada has released its first Hurricane Isabel-related weather warning. The agency has issued a heavy rainfall advisory for parts of southern Ontario. Areas falling under the warning include Hamilton, London-Middlesex and Waterloo-Wellington.

The remains of Isabel are expected to begin crossing into southern Ontario after midnight. Heavy rain is expected to start near Lake Erie and spread northward towards the Bruce Peninsula by morning. At least 50 millimetres of rain is expected in those regions, and Toronto could see at least that much.

Forecasters expect the winds to clock in at around 80 kilometres an hour. But a lot still depends on what track the weakened hurricane takes as it proceeds up the coast and across the border.

And while emergency officials have been making plans for the past few days, most now think the danger of major flooding or damage isn't very great. Not that anyone's taking chances.

Catch basins throughout the city have been cleaned out to let water drain. Hydro officials have standby crews in case the lights go out. Experts are advising motorists to avoid areas on the roads that usually get swamped when these kinds of storms hit. Schools will let parents know about possible closures by 6am Friday.

Isabel should be on her way out Saturday morning, and we could actually see the sun by the afternoon. But getting there definitely won't be half the fun.

Oh boy Skykitty! You don't just get 50kph winds, we get 80kph! Don't expect me to be anywhere near your place! I have enough falling trees to worry about here! Take a look: