Hurricane coming our way:(

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't know what people are thinking, sitting at a bar drinking, the bartender serving them, listening to loud music, the landlord.............Hello, perfect lawsuit if any one is injured after leaving the bar!!!!!!!!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I spent hours today trying to sand bag my back door from the roof top into my living room.......I hope it works! There is only a 5 inch lip before it starts flooding and I know the drain won't be able to take so much rain!
Can you believe the idiot bar below me is open??!!
Not only are they acting like this is no big deal, keeping people (very few) from safety, but also getting them liquored up before they go back outside!
IDIOTS!
As I see it, the patrons have a choice: either stay home, or go to the bar. They made the choice to be there--the bar didn't do it for them. The bar, though, is irresponsible for making its employees work tonight.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What hurricane was that in NY in 1996? Gary and I were in the RV, but on the road full time, and it was out in California. We were in NY on a biz trip in the Lombardy Hotel (it was less than a block away from the office). We were working on a report so weren't paying attention to anything. The front office called up and told us that they were sending all the staff home, did we need anything LOL. Then we noticed there was horizontal rain out the window.
We saw someone walking, and their umbrella blew backwards, out of their hands, and went flying up the street.

We didn't head out... but I'm sure the bars were hopping. It's NY!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

What hurricane was that in NY in 1996? Gary and I were in the RV, but on the road full time, and it was out in California. We were in NY on a biz trip in the Lombardy Hotel (it was less than a block away from the office). We were working on a report so weren't paying attention to anything. The front office called up and told us that they were sending all the staff home, did we need anything LOL. Then we noticed there was horizontal rain out the window.
We saw someone walking, and their umbrella blew backwards, out of their hands, and went flying up the street.

I remember that one Laurie! I was 14 or so at the time and the storm made my favorite group not be able to come to this music festival I was going to. I was sooo upset and I wanted everyone to know so I spent the entire show (it went on in the rain!...just indoors) looking like a brat.

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

If it was possibly 1995, it was Hurricane Gloria. I was in college, let's just say I thought the evacuation from the dorms was the most fun you could have in a hurricane.

Right now, I have stuff hitting my windows and the rain is torrential. Still a few hours until Irene arrives, and it's already darned scary out there. I'm going to bring my kids down to the main floor to sleep in the living room pretty soon. I want it to get light out, so I can see what is going on out there-the darkness makes it even scarier.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well; I just woke up on the living room floor. I got about 4 hours of sleep! I put the cushions from the love seat on the floor and grabbed my fav old comforter and I was zonked!! I didn't think I'd sleep like that!! We had so many tornado warnings last night (some really close by) I didn't want to actually go to bed. I slept with DH's phone getting text alerts from the weather channel.

I can see outside in the early daylight now. It's still very windy but the rain is gone!! We may still get some showers and the wind is expected to stick around for a good part of the day too.

So far for damages we have been very blessed; although I wont take my final count till all the wind is gone. I have 3 silver maple trees in my yard. One seems to have lost a few little branches and a good number of leaves. But I don't think enough to kill it or anything. I had a little water coming in the back door at the bottom corner. I think just because of how it was blowing and there isn't any porch there or anything. Its not much; maybe just a spot on the carpet about the size of a quarter to half-dollar at the most. I found that at like 11 something so I've had a dish towel there to catch any more. The rest of my yard looks good; just leaves all over. I'll take some pics come daylight. I left all that stuff in the closet last night and I'm not risking waking my DD to go get it. She wasn't crazy about sleeping in our room. She woke DH up at like 1:30 or something and he had to come out here and sleep a bit till she settled down and went back to a nice deep sleep.

I think the cats enjoyed me being out here. I felt someone making herself a nest out of the bottom of the quilt.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hurricane Gloria was 1985, wasn't it?

Irene has been downgraded to a tropical storm with 65 MPH wind.

Looks like NJ got the brunt of it.

I chose a good spot for my car,, many cars in the parking lot are flooded at least a foot.. I am about not even half. hard to tell from the window. All's good by me here

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're OK. No bad wind gusts, just rain. It started sometime last night and it's been raining fairly steadily. We're far enough west that we're going to be fine.

I had just put a roast in the crock pot this morning and the power went out. I said, "Oh, no, no, no....you will NOT do this! Turn that power back on! NOW!" And the power came back. (We lose power at the drop of a hat around here.) "Thank you!" And there was peace in the house once again.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was wrong about the year we were in NY for the hurricane. It was Floyd in 1999!

ALL THE REGULARS WERE HERE FOR FOOD THIS MORNING!
There are branches (some of them quite sizeable) and leaves EVERYWHERE. It JUST stopped raining for the first time in like... 14 or 15 hours?

I'm sure there's a lot of flooding in the area, but we're not planning on finding out. Electricity went out for a while in the wee hours of the morning, but obviously it wasn't any part of the grid, because it's back. Areas east and south of here had it MUCH worse.

to all affected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh MY, I've been watching the news and things have been crazy with Hurricane Irene. Laurie, I"m glad you guys are ok and everybody else here. Please take care you all

HUGs, tammy

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to be losing strength rather quickly and its predicted to be post tropical by the time it reaches Canadian soil. We're still under a tropical storm warning and wind warning. We got some heavy bands of rain moving in now. The highest winds are expected around midnight.

The area my apartment is in tends to lose power really quickly, though I am hoping it holds out since I was dumb enough to buy groceries yesterday, including a lot of fridge stuff.

For everyone who was in Irene's path. Hope everyone is safe, including the fur kids!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to find no bad news here this morning! Especially from you, Laurie -- I was so worried about all those trees around you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I, too, am so relieved that there is no bad news here today! When someone posted NJ got the worst of it, my heart sank. But then Laurie posted that all was well, so I could breathe again. And now I see Irene has already been downgraded to a Tropical Storn, so even better news! Those famouse TCS vibes worked again.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well; final count is in... I only lost one good tree limb. It came down after I posted this morning I think. I really didn't see it then. I laid back down on the floor to sleep till DH got up with DD. Then I climbed in bed and slept till noon.

Editing to add pics:

Out my front door as the worst took over our area. The heaviest for us came during the night so no pics.

Out my back door.

This poor tree looks a bit battered today. Most of the small limbs and leaves we lost seem to be from this one.

These were battering the side of my house at one point.

My poor tomatoes. I'm actually happy they look this good though!

A few from the tree that took some damage.

There are plenty of leaf pieces stuck to the house; but this one made me laugh. Looks like someone put it there by hand!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Burlington county, NJ. We got a lot of rain but the wind wasn't too bad, we have a couple of weak trees that are still standing, yay! Right now the sun is shining and it's a bit windy...I am so glad we didn't lose power (yet
).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I spoke too soon and I did NOT knock wood!
We're all still OK, as are kitties inside and out, and the few people in the RV park. I was up most of the night, so went to sleep after updating family and friends (incl TCS
). Woke up about 2 this afternoon to the RV rocking in very heavy winds and heard what sounded at first like gunshots.

The rain had stopped, but wind was crazy. It has since calmed down, though there are bursts/gusts still. We did lose power about 4 this afternoon, no idea when it'll be back. The last hurricane to impact out here (1996), power was down 2.5 weeks.

Looked out window and was... surprised LOL. Outside is buried in leaves and branches. And trees. Those sounds... they're not gunshots. They're trees or branches cracking. It went on all afternoon and was just the strangest thing. "There goes another one!" Very weird!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness Gary moved the car caddy. It was in the parking spot next to us. It would have been crushed by downed tree. There was a tree that looked like it would come down, so we moved the car from across the road to our site. The tree did come down. It wouldn't have hurt the car as it went sideways, not at us.

Some of them are up at the roots (ground just too wet to support them) - others just snapped in the wind.

A lot of the poor trees around here just look... all beat up! Their poor limbs are broken off or askew. I took pics, don't know if you can really see how bad it is. I'll post later. We have TERRIBLE internet without the cell booster (we use cell air cards), and without electricity there's no booster.

We do have the generator.. but the ferals are under the RV, so we won't run it unless we have to.

Last I saw, half a million were without power in NJ, though it was mostly in the southern counties. Now, I don't know. I don't know if we're down so they can fix others, or if we're down because of the lines or power station problem.

Baloo came out to greet us when we went out to survey the damage. Dot and Tabby ran up too (can only pet Baloo and Dot. Taby and Babygirl just watch). But Baloo was such a chatterbox, telling us all about what had been going on.
The ground is just SATURATED, with puddles/little rivers everywhere, and it was funny to watch him navigate them as he walked with us.

So anyway, my cell phone chews battery like crazy, and I hadn't synced recently, so needed some numbers. Lit up the computer to grab them, and as the air card antenna is better than the cellphone antenna, thought I'd pop in. If you don't hear from me, it's just because we don't have power and aren't running the generator to charge laptops and phones back up.

Thank GOODNESS it's 67 out today. Not sure what we'll do in warm weather... though I guess the kitties won't need refuge from the storm. Don't know weather outlook, but let's just hope there's not more rain, because if it's getting hot, I don't want kitties underneath so we at least have the option to run the gene.

Thank you so much for the vibes... and I hope everyone else is STILL ok!!!!!