Hurricane coming our way:(

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic from a few minutes ago, after we moved our cars:

I'm just hoping the smaller tree that caught the one that fell continues to hold it up!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bah, I spoke too soon. Nova Scotia is now under a tropical storm warning for tomorrow. Wind gusts up to 100kmh (just over 60mph). Yay!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We've started to get very heavy rain and high winds already. This was supposed to happen more overnight. Now, Irene is about 230 miles south of us. It may not be very good when she gets here, if this is the prelude!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just been reading my newspaper about the hurricane and I just want to send more vibes everyones way.xx

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

WOW Anna - good thing your car wasn't there!
It WAS there!!!!! LOL!
It was right under the branches of the tree, which are suspended in the air because the smaller tree is supporting it. I posted a vid that I took of the tree before I moved my car. Craziness, y'all, and there are several more hours to come from what I'm told. I'm just so thankful I still have power. It flickers every 15 minutes or so but hasn't shut off yet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope it stays on.
I didn't watch the vid because I've got terrible bandwidth right now. We took down the cell booster, and our only internet is the USB air cars.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The rain has deffinitely picked up here and the wind too. We had a 15 minute long tornado warning; but now looking at the map I'm not quite sure why because it wasn't even headed our direction. Mooch and Noodles did not appreicate being haluled into the closet with a very excited 1 1/2 year old. DH let them out; I better not need to catch them again. I think we basically have 12 more hours of heavy rain expected. We've lost a lot of leaves off one tree and a few small branches.

I'm ready to wake up and have it be tomorrow already! Enough is enough!!

aimerlee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw this picture someone posted on facebook from Wilmington. The tree fell and got caught on power lines and left the car unscratched. Can you say L U C K Y ?!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Where are you MargeCat? We've been getting rain off and on all day, but no winds yet.

WOW Anna - good thing your car wasn't there!
I'm located near Philadelphia, PA.

It's REALLY coming down now! And it's even windier.

Can you believe that some places near here are supposed to get over 15" of rain?!?!

We're well-prepared, though. I bought a ton of cat food and litter yesterday, and some more preps today--I didn't really need to, but I just wanted to get out of the house one last time!
I have everything in those orange Home Depot ("Homer buckets") just in case water comes in the house or we get evacuated after the storm (that can happen). I have a couple of changes of clothing, sturdy shoes, rain gear, toiletries, trash bags, flashlight, plastic cutlery, etc. in them. The canned cat food is in a smallish rolling suitcase, along with 6 foil lasagne pans (dollar store). These make great emergency, disposable kitty litter boxes. I have OUR canned human food in a Homer bucket. I have an empty rock salt bucket (like the Homers) that is allocated for toilet usage only (I wouldn't want to store even canned food in an empty rock salt bucket--just in case of the chemicals). I have a belly bag and a small backpack to carry valuables, keys, blood sugar snacks (I'm a diabetic), etc.

Those Homer buckets are great, BTW. The lids snap on tightly, and they are only about $5.00. They are easy to carry, and you can stuff a lot of things in them for an emergency kit. Each teen or adult could carry 2, which means you can take a lot of things with you. In a shelter, they can also be a table, a nightstand by your cot/sleeping bag, and a stool. You can carry water in them, and you should also slate a separate one as a toilet, just in case--throw in trash bags for liners, and rolls of toilet paper (you can squash the t.p. to save space). I've sometimes been in situations where we had to use one for a toilet!

Two of my poor cats are terrified right now. The other 7 don't seem to notice the weather. Poor Leo has been shadowing me all day, and his sister, Little Miss, has been hunkering down in the foyer, where she goes when it rains heavily.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I'm located near Philadelphia, PA.

It's REALLY coming down now! And it's even windier.

Can you believe that some places near here are supposed to get over 15" of rain?!?!

We're well-prepared, though. I bought a ton of cat food and litter yesterday, and some more preps today--I didn't really need to, but I just wanted to get out of the house one last time!
I have everything in those orange Home Depot ("Homer buckets") just in case water comes in the house or we get evacuated after the storm (that can happen). I have a couple of changes of clothing, sturdy shoes, rain gear, toiletries, trash bags, flashlight, plastic cutlery, etc. in them. The canned cat food is in a smallish rolling suitcase, along with 6 foil lasagne pans (dollar store). These make great emergency, disposable kitty litter boxes. I have OUR canned human food in a Homer bucket. I have an empty rock salt bucket (like the Homers) that is allocated for toilet usage only (I wouldn't want to store even canned food in an empty rock salt bucket--just in case of the chemicals). I have a belly bag and a small backpack to carry valuables, keys, blood sugar snacks (I'm a diabetic), etc.

Those Homer buckets are great, BTW. The lids snap on tightly, and they are only about $5.00. They are easy to carry, and you can stuff a lot of things in them for an emergency kit. Each teen or adult could carry 2, which means you can take a lot of things with you. In a shelter, they can also be a table, a nightstand by your cot/sleeping bag, and a stool. You can carry water in them, and you should also slate a separate one as a toilet, just in case--throw in trash bags for liners, and rolls of toilet paper (you can squash the t.p. to save space). I've sometimes been in situations where we had to use one for a toilet!

Two of my poor cats are terrified right now. The other 7 don't seem to notice the weather. Poor Leo has been shadowing me all day, and his sister, Little Miss, has been hunkering down in the foyer, where she goes when it rains heavily.
That is awesome, your post had a lot of great information!

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It hasn't started here.... yet... we have the generators gassed up and in place, food cooked that can be eaten cold, 18gallon totes filled with water candles and flashlights at the ready. We are under hurricane warnings, and not to far away is under hurrican AND tornado warnings. Not looking forward to this.

I hope its all over early enough for enough clean up to happen by 5am Monday morning so I can make it the 45min up to the hospital.... I'm scheduled for surgery at 6am Monday morning! (I'm having my gallbadder removed)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spent hours today trying to sand bag my back door from the roof top into my living room.......I hope it works! There is only a 5 inch lip before it starts flooding and I know the drain won't be able to take so much rain!
Can you believe the idiot bar below me is open??!!
Not only are they acting like this is no big deal, keeping people (very few) from safety, but also getting them liquored up before they go back outside!
IDIOTS!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I believe it!! Crazy people! There is a restaurant down here doing the same thing I saw. My ex-stepbrother is having a hurricane party. But he lives in Boston so it's not quite there yet....just an excuse to drink.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe it! They were supposed to evacuate in Hoboken - to help, they made it mandatory that anyone with a liquor license not sell liquor after 6:00pm this evening, and even taxis aren't allowed to be driving.