Hug your furkids...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sheilad

By the way, You might see if you can call the office where he is and have them hold the phone so he can hear your voice. I had a tech who did that for me once and it seemed to help my cat to hear a familiar voice even if you can not be there.
You know, it's funny you say that because I was just about to post about this very thing!

Mom went to visit him again today around 7pm and the vet let her use her cell phone while she was in the back with him. It was great because I got to hear the entire conversation with the vet so for once I wasn't getting my info second hand. He can sit up and he can stand for short periods... but he doesn't quite have control over everything.... like his front paws kind of knuckle under when he stands and if he's up for more than half a minute or so, he falls over. He has more strength on his right side than his left. He still can't get himself into a litter box, so he's still peeing on himself, but the vet says he actually made an attempt to get to it today, so thats a start. He does ok in the cage, but since he still can't see he gets very frightened and disoriented if you take him out and put him on the floor since he doesn't know those surroundings as well as the cage. A few little scratches on his nose from trying to suss out his surroundings and hitting his nose on things, but nothing major.

But on to the phone thing. While mom was at the vet's office and giving me the update on his situation, the poor kid was just crying and howling a blue streak. He's the original scardy cat when he's feeling well, so I could only imagine how nervous he is now. Oh it was just breaking my heart... so I had mom put her cell phone in the cage with him while he was laying down and I started one of our "conversations" - see Az is such a chatterbox he loves to have full conversations with people... and they could last like half an hour. As long as you keep saying "Really?" and "Is that so!" he'll just keep talking and chattering and meowing away. So she put the phone in the cage and I told him that he has to get better because his mom misses him and he stopped crying and "talked" to me. Oh I was so happy to hear it I just sat there going "really? is that so!" for 10 minutes... and he just sat there chattering away with me. Mom started crying.. I started crying... the vet started crying...

The vet is very optimistic that with his recent turnaround he might be able to come home in a few days. She wants to get him home asap because she thinks having him around Jack and Johnny will help him heal faster, and I agree. I knew from the start those two would be his support system through this. It just been such a roller coaster ride that we want to make sure he doesnt take a sudden down turn over the next few days so we know its safe to take him home and let him heal.

There's still damage and he may never be completely back to normal, but he's done so well in the last 24 hours, I finally have so much hope!

thecatsmeow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I almost started crying there. I'm glad to hear you have your hope back! My fiance and I have you in our prayers day in and day out and will continue on! When do you go back home???

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mega misty eyes, here! That is so lovely to hear! I can just see him realizing, "Hey, that's my Mum...Mum...? Gee, it's good to talk to you, Mum..." I sure do hope your boy can come home soon, and be with his buddies. What a grand turnaround he has had!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW
I expected to open this thread today & see some sad news. Instead I'm fighting back tears of joy. I'm so glad things are starting to look up. He's in my thoughts & prayers & since I told my furbabies about him, I'll be sure to tell them about this good turn of events.
Keep strong AZ - Your mama loves you & wants you home!!!!

lilycurly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wonderful!
Azrael will be in my prayers from now on! I lost my precious Gibril to one of those blockages, so your baby is showing everyone that miracles can be possible.

Hang in there, both of you.

G

ghostuser

What a wonderful update!! It's so great you got to talk with him!! I bet that did him a world of good (and you!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ladies and Gentlemen... furkids of all ages...

AZ IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!

I'll give more of an update later because I'm seriously tired... but I just wanted to let everyone know the good news

psy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im so happy to hear that
I have been watching for an update I am so glad he gets to come home. Poor baby.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's great! Is he still not seeing? I found when Smudge couldn't see, it was good to put a bunch of cat beds around on the floor because he wasn't real comfortable getting up on the couches for a while. Also when we brought him home, we took him to the litter box first, and let him walk around and "discover" his food bowl, etc. It's not good to carry them around because they get disoriented. Can't wait to hear how he does!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, that just brought total tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for you & for him.
Keep on fighting AZ!!!!!!!

casa de gato

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been reading this thread and following the saga, with tears in my eyes.

Me and all my furbabies send hugs accross the seas.

What a brave little fighter he is.