How To Tell If Cat Is About To Give Birth In The Next Few Hours?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is her waters, she is in labour, keep an eye on how long she is pushing for without producing a kitten
Ah... I got so scared that it could possibly be a kitten as a lot of videos on YouTube show cats who have had their water bag broken already so I've rushed to the vets although it's 4am where I live. The vet suggested injecting her so she has a smooth delivery. I hope she manages to give birth properly as a cesarean would be super costly.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must have been very upset to rush out in the middle of the night like that. I hope your vet has reassured you and hasn't found a reason to perform a cesarean operation and that you have been able to return home so that mom can give birth to her kittens in the comfort of her nest.

Please let us know what is happening. Best wishes.

Last edited:

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You must have been very upset to rush out in the middle of the night like that. I hope your vet has reassured you and hasn't found a reason to perform a cesarean operation and that you have been able to return home so that mom can give birth to her kittens in the comfort of her nest.

Please let us know what is happening. Best wishes.
As of now, he's injected her with oxytocin to induce Labour. If there are no signs of kittens appearing in an hours time from the time of injection (which is about 30 minutes from now) they might go ahead with the c section. I understand that this might be a better option as she and her mate are flat faced cats and this is also her first litter, thus I'm not sure if she would be able to birth naturally...

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear that a cesarian operation is being considered more so because she is only on her 67 days today and I have always understood that in the case of persian cats a 70/73 days pregnancy period is fairly common and a cesarian is only performed if the mom in question is pushing for over a certain period without delivering. But in the case of your queen only the water has broken and she hasn't yet started pushing? In your place I would ask the vet why resort to a cesarian before she has had a chance to deliver within a normal pushing period.

It is late here in Montevideo but I won't go to bed until I learn that all is well with you and mom. Please keep in touch.

Last edited:

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear that a cesarian operation is being considered more so because she is only on her 67 days today and I have always understood that in the case of persian cats a 70/73 days pregnancy period is fairly common and a cesarian is only performed if the mom in question is pushing for over a certain period without delivering. But in the case of your queen only the water has broken and she hasn't yet started pushing? In your place I would ask the vet why resort to a cesarian before she has had a chance to deliver within a normal pushing period.

It is late here in Montevideo but I won't go to bed until I learn that all is well with you and mom. Please keep in touch.
Apparently she has pushed two babies out and they're dead. The first one is excusable as the vet could tell it had a weak heart in the scan, but i dont know how the second one died. Two more are inside her and she's stopped pushing. It's been hours. I don't know if they're still alive and I'm a wreck. Is it possible for kittens to be born hours apart and be okay?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a problem in my area with the local electricity service last night and I have just been able to recharge the battery of my computer this morning. I am very sorry to hear mom has lost the first two kitties and I am anxious to hear what has happened since. I hope you and mom cat are well and back home and that the situation has improved since your last post.

I am no doubt late to reply to your question: yes, kittens can be born hours apart and hope this is what happened. Please get in touch when you feel apt to it.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a problem in my area with the local electricity service last night and I have just been able to recharge the battery of my computer this morning. I am very sorry to hear mom has lost the first two kitties and I am anxious to hear what has happened since. I hope you and mom cat are well and back home and that the situation has improved since your last post.

I am no doubt late to reply to your question: yes, kittens can be born hours apart and hope this is what happened. Please get in touch when you feel apt to it.
Hi, thanks so much for your concern and care for my kitty. Unfortunately she is still warded and hasn't passed the other two out. 8 hours ago they were confirmed alive, currently the emergency centre is very busy so there's no update regarding that now. She's in alright condition though. I was wondering if the kittens were in her until tmr, morning, is that considered safe or normal? She gave birth to the first kitten at 730am today so would being in labour for 24hrs be life threatening? As of now it is 840pm where I am.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you kaleidoscopesky for your reply. I am relieved to know you and mom are well. I am not an expert but yes I believe there can be more than 24 hours between deliveries. Wishing you the best and looking forward to your posts.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she in active labour, contractions, or have those stopped? If she has no contractions and is acting normal, it IS normal for many hours, even days, to occur between babies. she is in a good place, i'll pray for her to deliver safely and have healthy babies!

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she in active labour, contractions, or have those stopped? If she has no contractions and is acting normal, it IS normal for many hours, even days, to occur between babies. she is in a good place, i'll pray for her to deliver safely and have healthy babies!
Hi everyone, thanks for all the support. Unfortunately all her kittens were delivered dead. As for her, I am just happy that she is okay.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear that! I understand how upsetting that can be. I'm glad she is okay and it sounds like she was able to avoid a c-section?

Don't blame yourself for the kittens being born dead, sometimes things like this happen. Is this the girl who was accidentally vaccinated during pregnancy? Perhaps the kittens were not viable.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear that! I understand how upsetting that can be. I'm glad she is okay and it sounds like she was able to avoid a c-section?

Don't blame yourself for the kittens being born dead, sometimes things like this happen. Is this the girl who was accidentally vaccinated during pregnancy? Perhaps the kittens were not viable.
Yes it was her, but her kittens were not stillborn. The deaths are attributed to her breed (flat faced Persians apparently have a high likelihood of dystocia) and that her parturition took too long. I'm just so guilty now because I feel like if I opted for a c section at the beginning they would have lived. I chose not to initially as I thought a natural birth would allow her to recognise her children.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't blame yourself. It is always very difficult to make these decisions. It's impossible to know if they would have survived if you had opted for the c-section. If a c-section is done too early the kittens may not survive because they are not ready to be born. Also, the anesthetic used can cause the kittens to be difficult to revive after a c-section. You made a reasonable decision and it's not your fault they didn't survive.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't blame yourself. It is always very difficult to make these decisions. It's impossible to know if they would have survived if you had opted for the c-section. If a c-section is done too early the kittens may not survive because they are not ready to be born. Also, the anesthetic used can cause the kittens to be difficult to revive after a c-section. You made a reasonable decision and it's not your fault they didn't survive.
it wasn't too early tho, it was her 67th day into the pregnancy and her water bag alr had been expelled. I thought that she could have pushed the rest out as well bc the first two managed to be born

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes to you kaledoscopesky. But please don't blame yourself for the loss of the kittens. The odds were against them from the moment mom was vaccinated while pregnant. An early c-section was not recommended since delivery was not overdue and as lutece mentioned the kittens may not have been ready to be born. Flat face persians are fragile. You did all that could be done. The great thing is that mom is fine.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart goes to you kaledoscopesky. But please don't blame yourself for the loss of the kittens. The odds were against them from the moment mom was vaccinated while pregnant. An early c-section was not recommended since delivery was not overdue and as lutece mentioned the kittens may not have been ready to be born. Flat face persians are fragile. You did all that could be done. The great thing is that mom is fine.
She was in labour so it wasn't too early. When that happened, the kittens were very much alive and all so I'm not sure how the vaccination might have affected them though. I know I did all I could, but it's just sad to know one simple decision could've saved them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't blame yourself. That is grief speaking. Chances are that nothing could have been done, it may be that the birth process itself may have killed them because of a gene malfunction, or that their lungs were not developed properly because of a birth defect. There are many human babies that survive in the womb but not outside it too, I am a nurse and have witnessed this. You can't change the past, but you are now better informed for the future. May you be blessed for loving that little girl so, give her a kiss for me, I am sure she is grieving too, though cats don't show their emotions readily. Thank you for posting and telling others about all this, it just may save a life in the future!

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please don't blame yourself. That is grief speaking. Chances are that nothing could have been done, it may be that the birth process itself may have killed them because of a gene malfunction, or that their lungs were not developed properly because of a birth defect. There are many human babies that survive in the womb but not outside it too, I am a nurse and have witnessed this. You can't change the past, but you are now better informed for the future. May you be blessed for loving that little girl so, give her a kiss for me, I am sure she is grieving too, though cats don't show their emotions readily. Thank you for posting and telling others about all this, it just may save a life in the future!
The vet did tell me that other than the stillborn, two had weak hearts. Strangely they were all very large fetuses although my cat is quite small. She seems fine, oblivious in fact, apparently she didn't show interest in her kittens when they were born either. Yea, I'm just trying my best to be constructive now.