How To Tell If Cat Is About To Give Birth In The Next Few Hours?

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My persian cat is 6 weeks along now and she's a first time mom, hence inexperienced. On top of that I read that Persians aren't known to be the best moms/have a higher chance of birth complications than other species of cats, so I think it's imperative I'm present during her delivery.

I'm super worried that she'll give birth when I'm asleep or not around. Is there any way to determine if she'll give birth say around 1 day/12 hours/couple hours before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read these articles already, thanks though. I live in a fairly small house so I don't see how a camera may work, I'd just like to know some telltale signs so I know about when to be prepared, I don't want to be absent as I know she's definitely gonna need help

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A camera would give you a chance to see what's going on when you're gone, I thought that was a concern, and the indications provided in the first article are a good way to know. You could see if there are youtube videos of pregnancy progression.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have an average gestation length of 64 days, or a little over nine weeks. So she has about three weeks left, so you don’t need to start worrying just yet.

That being said, there are definitely some signs to look out for as she approaches labor. You’ll start seeing milk production about a day or two before delivery. Once you start to see contractions, it means delivery is coming very soon.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats have an average gestation length of 64 days, or a little over nine weeks. So she has about three weeks left, so you don’t need to start worrying just yet.

That being said, there are definitely some signs to look out for as she approaches labor. You’ll start seeing milk production about a day or two before delivery. Once you start to see contractions, it means delivery is coming very soon.
Hahaha, yea I'm quite a worrywart sometimes, I just want to be super prepared. I heard they will also not eat a day before they pop or they'll start making noises right? my cat is a very very quiet cat normally though

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hahaha, yea I'm quite a worrywart sometimes, I just want to be super prepared. I heard they will also not eat a day before they pop or they'll start making noises right? my cat is a very very quiet cat normally though
Yes, you will often see a decrease in appetite up to a few days before birth. I would be concerned if she stopped eating altogether, though. In the hours before birth is when you might hear her making some strange noises (chirping, meowing, howling...). Sometimes cats are quiet when giving birth.

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! My cat just gave birth 13 days ago and she still had her appetite, did not have her milk come in before, there was no discharge and she was not extremely vocal. What i did notice was that she was more playfull not really restless. And she did scratch in her hammock once that day. But the thing that made me think her birth was close is she was having contractions. Ive been readijg here alot before she gave birth what the signs could be. But the BEST clue for me is and was is check if your cat is having contractions. Just pet her belly as often as you can and just softly place your hand on her belly. If you feel it become very tight sometimes and then relax she is having contractions. And with my cat you could NOT see that on the outside and she did not react in any way while having one. Just like humans it takes time for the cervix to open up so if shes having regular contractions you can be really sure shes giving birth in about 12 hrs. Good luck!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat I was feeding outside just gave birth yesterday. What I noticed before that was she became extremely vocal, so I knew it was time. I had to let her in the house even if my cats are still sulking as of this writing. When I came back yesterday from the office, true enough - there were 5 babies in the litterbox! She gave birth in the litterbox!

Before that also there was no decrease in appetite. In fact, she became hungrier than usual.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My persian kitty is 65 days along as of today, I can feel the kittens moving inside her and an ultrasound scan taken weeks ago showed that there were at least two little ones inside her (the vet said that ultrasounds aren't entirely accurate since fetuses can sometimes overlap, but it means that there are at least two) she hasn't been exhibiting nesting symptoms although I've provided a nice box for her nor is she producing any milk yet even after lightly pressing her nipples. she's basically acting as per normal. how long more should i wait before I bring her to the vet for overdue partuition? I know some cats give birth after 66 or 67 days on the later end of the spectrum, but she hasn't even been showing any signs that she may be birthing soon.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just keep an eye on her and be patient. The kittens will come when they’re ready. As long as she’s acting normal, I don’t think there’s any cause for concern. :)

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Argh, today's day 66 and no signs of nesting, odd behaviour, etc. The waiting game is making me nervous!

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just realised this shiny, gooey substance at my cats vulva, today is the 67th day she's pregnant. It leaves light brown/watery stains on the floor whenever she sits. Anyone has any information or clue regarding this? No contractions yet, she isn't nesting either and is just purring a lot and otherwise acting pretty normal.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been getting really mixed responses on a local forum, some say to bring her to a vet ASAP, but some say it's normal and i dont want to risk her getting all confused with foreign smells and not recognising her own babies if i were to do so...

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kaleidoscopesky. Persian queens tend to have longer pregnancies so that if she is on her 67th day there is no reason to be alarmed and rush her to see the vet. It is possible that the substance you have seen is the mucus plug and then again that is not a reason to be worried. As long as she is acting normally just try to be patient and calm. :)

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi kaleidoscopesky. Persian queens tend to have longer pregnancies so that if she is on her 67th day there is no reason to be alarmed and rush her to see the vet. It is possible that the substance you have seen is the mucus plug and then again that is not a reason to be worried. As long as she is acting normally just try to be patient and calm. :)
Hi, this is happening right now. It does not look like a kitten and it is being pushed out very slowly...