How to tell between constipation and uti

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vets comment on the things that are high?
Just to watch her. I guess may be do to old age they think. But I got the liquid form

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Liquid form of what? Other related numbers probably should also be "off" if it is just old age.

EDIT: The AMLY may not really mean much, but just having one liver enzyme high (ALT) and not others (such as ALP and AST) probably warrants a bit better assessment by the vet than 'just old age'. Just having the ALT high is pretty non-specific, and the least the vet could have done was to explain a bit more to you than they did.

Did they also do a CBC blood work up?

Last edited:

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know all they told me is to keep a eye on her. She was dehydrated too. They gave her fluids. She lost 1 pound and it's worrisome. 😕

So I'm at a loss what to do and how do I get my cat to eat.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes they did a cbc everything came out normal but alt and amylase. Like I wonder if these vets know what they doing .

Liquid form of what? Other related numbers probably should also be "off" if it is just old age.

EDIT: The AMLY may not really mean much, but just having one liver enzyme high (ALT) and not others (such as ALP and AST) probably warrants a bit better assessment by the vet than 'just old age'. Just having the ALT high is pretty non-specific, and the least the vet could have done was to explain a bit more to you than they did.

Did they also do a CBC blood work up?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They gave her fluids. She lost 1 pound and it's worrisome. So I'm at a loss what to do and how do I get my cat to eat. Yes they did a cbc everything came out normal but alt and amylase.
Antibiotics are tough on a cat's stomach. So, that could be part of the problem with her eating. At this point, try some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut), it seems to work well even with cats that aren't feeling well or not wanting to eat much. A jar can be as much as 50 - 90 calories. Gerber Stage 2 chicken is the highest at 90 calories. If she is still on the antibiotics, make sure she eats something - anything - with each dose. Human canned tuna (or chicken) in water is another possibility to get her to eat something. If possible, you can get some Hill's Prescription Diet Canine/Feline a/d Restorative Care - chock full of calories and balanced food for a cat. Most vets have it in stock.

It is good that they gave her some fluids - it will at least make her feel a little better. It is really good that all the CBC numbers came out good too! And, for now just assume the high ALT is a fluke. Getting her feeling better and eating some are the priorities at this moment.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's her antibiotics should I be worried giving it to her the dose is 62mg. Please let me know rather I should half it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it's her antibiotics should I be worried giving it to her the dose is 62mg. Please let me know rather I should half it
No, I would not do that. Half a dose isn't going to be any less aggravating on her stomach than a full dose. Just find anything that she will eat to put to meds into.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, how many Gerber food I should give to help her appetite?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One jar only has 2.5 oz, so it's not a lot. I wouldn't serve her a whole jar to give her the antibiotics, but maybe a spoonful or so. After she has eaten that, then let her have more, a spoonful or two at a time. If she eats a whole jar in one sitting, that would be OK too. It can't replace her food for days and days, but if she starts eating it, then you can try to give her small amount of her own food in between.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, I just have trouble feeding her normal can food. I wonder if it's OK to mix it so I can get her appetite back

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't get my cat to drink water. I don't want her dehydrated . Do you think my cat may not live long if her alt and amylase is high? 😞 I'm scared. I don't want to loose her . Should she be eunthize ? She is 15 and I wish I knew answers and wish the er vet gave me answers besides telling me to watch her.

I hate watching her like this

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't get my cat to drink water. I don't want her dehydrated . Do you think my cat may not live long if her alt and amylase is high? 😞 I'm scared. I don't want to loose her . Should she be eunthize ? She is 15 and I wish I knew answers and wish the er vet gave me answers besides telling me to watch her. I hate watching her like this.
Those blood work numbers alone are not going to kill her. I have a 17+ yo cat with many more health issues that have been identified compared to your girl, and no way would I even remotely consider euthanization.

Have you tried offering her water with some tuna 'juice' (the water from a can of tuna) added? Not a lot, but just enough to add a bit of flavor, so maybe don't fill the dish up completely as you might normally do. You can add water as needed. I would also actually take a water dish to her and set it nearby her to see if it is close by she might consider drinking some.

Is she eating the baby food meat? Is she peeing and pooping OK?

Do you know how to check for dehydration? You gently pull up the skin at the scruff of her neck and then release it, the slower it goes back into place the more dehydrated she is. If it goes back into place quickly, she is not dehydrated. The fluids they just gave her at the vets could be why she is not drinking, as she still might actually be pretty well hydrated. Most cats are lousy water drinkers to begin with.

You would do her - and yourself a favor - by calming down and trying to relax a bit. She can sense your anxiety, even if you don't realize it. Besides things are not going to change overnight, any improvements will be gradual.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She won't eat her normal food. I'm thinking maybe getting temptations creamy . She loves those. I just want to see her health improve and I get restless

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She won't eat her normal food. I'm thinking maybe getting temptations creamy . She loves those. I just want to see her health improve and I get restless
So, are you giving her the antibiotics - and what are you feeding her with them to help avoid stomach upset? By all means get the Temptations and give them to her. I merely mentioned the baby food meat because there are a lot more calories in them than the treats, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try the Temptations too.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well temptations creamy has moisture. And she ate her moisture treats . So thought it may give more moisture .

So, are you giving her the antibiotics - and what are you feeding her with them to help avoid stomach upset? By all means get the Temptations and give them to her. I merely mentioned the baby food meat because there are a lot more calories in them than the treats, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try the Temptations too.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She ate her creaky treats well. So that's q good sign right. It's expensive but she's worth it