How to tell between constipation and uti

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No urgent care near by . It sucks that when I need one they always are booked where the er vet is 40 minutes away . Depends on traffic could be 30 minutes but yeah went to er during lunch hr and left during when school got out

Probably within a few days as long as you follow the prescription label for dosing.

Pet urgent care clinics are getting popular. See if there is one near you that can be an option for non-emergencies but still needs urgent treatment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's on clavamox. Think it was like last time . She had history of uti . And my vet called it idiopathic cystitis I think it's called. But no crystals . But the er vet said struvite crystals. I don't know which are the lethal ones. She hasn't had an episode since 2014 I think? I just hate seeing her uncomfortable 😭
Clavamox is pretty standard - what is the dosage and for how long?

A cat that has FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis) can over time develop crystals, so both vets could be correct in their assessments based on when they were made.

There are no 'lethal' crystals really. Struvite can be dissolved with moisture, and many times through prescription foods, given at least temporarily. The fact that your cat is a female is to her advantage, in that male cats typically have bigger issue due to the differences in their anatomy.

Going from 2014 until now could be a positive thing in all actuality. Less of a reason to consider this FIC (unless her stress level is higher due to her current environment).

But, give the antibiotics some time to work before you completely freak out. I would schedule an appt ahead of time, to check out the results of the antibiotics, so that you can make better (and cheaper) preparations for another vet visit. You can always cancel if you don't end up needing the appt.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I probably will have to do that. My usual vet said I could get her urine but I may really rather do a urinalysis and a senior well blood work at the other. Her pain medication helps it seems . She to sedated to jump on the bed

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her pain medication helps it seems. She to sedated to jump on the bed.
If you have more pain meds to give her, ask the vet (should be able to be done via a phone call) if the dose can be lowered a bit. She just needs to be comfortable, not incapacitated.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know why they gave me gabapentin, because the pill capsule was to big and I asked if I supposecto give her the whole thing. They said yes

If you have more pain meds to give her, ask the vet (should be able to be done via a phone call) if the dose can be lowered a bit. She just needs to be comfortable, not incapacitated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know why they gave me gabapentin, because the pill capsule was to big and I asked if I supposecto give her the whole thing. They said yes
Then, tell them that it is making her a bit over-sedated in your mind, and could you adjust the dosage by splitting the capsule in half. You can open the capsule and separate it into two separate 'piles' if they are OK with that.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's one of the capsules that when separated it has little bits

Then, tell them that it is making her a bit over-sedated in your mind, and could you adjust the dosage by splitting the capsule in half. You can open the capsule and separate it into two separate 'piles' if they are OK with that.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't even know if I should even give her gabapentin anymore. She is still out of it and can't eat because of her wobbly legs. ☹

Should I stop that?

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
How much gabapentin was in the capsule? Did they weigh your cat and calculate how much gabapentin she needs?

My cat weighs 4 kg, and she was prescribed 20mg gabapentin. Usual capsules come in more than that (I got 100mg capsules), and I had to go to a pharmacy for it to get specially measured for my cat's weight so she wouldn't get an overdose or any other ill effects.

And despite my cat only needing 20mg of gabapentin, the powder inside the capsule needs to be inside becaue the capsule protects the medication from stomach acid. It's so that the medication is absorbed better.

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add- if you believe your cat was given too much gabapentin, you will need to go back to the vet or go to a different one and ask them exactly how much gabapentin to give her. Like exact dosage of the powder.

If she was given too much and after 12 hours she is still acting weird from it- it's best to go to the vet and ask them what next. It might be a thing that you just have to wait it out (which sucks but that's the "best case scenario") or if it's something more serious and she might need a procedure.. well, you're already at the vets and they will know best how to help her.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat weighs 4.2kg
Qnd I was given 100mg... if you got 20 MG then they are over dosing my cat 😕

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Going for a recheck , If it's worse than that , then I may have to say good bye. She's 15 ☹ ill be super sad and I hope it's not worse

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, yeah. Someone at the vet office definitely messed up! She should have been given less than 100mg for sure!!! Anyway, if she only got one pill so far- okay. I'd let that be done and dusted.

What I would do is I would NOT give her any more gabapentin UNTIL I have spoken with a veterinarian about it and also got correct dosage for her weight!

I have hopes for your cat and that she just got a bad case of bad veterinarians... if you can, please go to a different vet, especially one that knows how to treat cats.

If she has a UTI (or anything else that is causing her urinary issues), she will need urinalysis done, with a blood panel and considering her age- maybe a biochemistry blood profile. And an ultrasound. If she has constipation/gastrointestinal issues- she would still have to do the same tests apart from the urinalysis and she would also need an x-ray too.

Is she eating and drinking okay otherwise?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not eating and drinking. Not vet is open but the er. She had 2 gabapentin since Thursday. 😕 so I can't find a new vet since they are closed on weekends. Will xray be better to see if the stones are bad.
I hope it isn't cancer I am scared. Usually when my cat I lost had bloody stole when she wad young she end up with intestinal lymphoma. My cat had history of uti I scared that it would turn into cancer

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you go to the vet er and specifically ask for a veterinarian who knows how to treat cats?

All those tests (including x-ray) I mentioned would be good to do to see what is exactly happening to your cat and what the best course of action is.

UTI's cannot turn into cancer. Cancer and tumors are a whole different beast that acts differently to viral/bacterial/fungal infections when being treated.

Please get your cat to a different vet, no one can help your cat until you take it to a medical professional with all the information you have given us here and also do tests to determine the cause.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will , I may use my savings and care credit so it won't be a big bill. I may do a blood panel, xray. It hope its not as bad 😕 maybe there be a different person I see next

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, it can be really scary and emotionally draining to deal with things like these. And especially when you add money to the table.. it's just not good. But be rest assured that you are doing the best you can for your cat and your cat appreciates it. She knows she is loved by you. :hearthrob:

I wish you good luck and please keep us posted. :hearthrob::hearthrob:

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will, may do xray first . Just to be sure no crystals. If it's gabapentin over dose fault then maybe I just have to let it clear out 😭

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
Xray and ultrasound would be good, especially to rule out crystals and calcium oxalate stones, and also to see if she's constipated or blocked up or not etc. If she's completely clear on that front- then I would do blood panel, biochemistry blood test and urinalysis.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No crystals, but her liver seems high , I don't know if it's because of the dosage. But she seems ok

2 things were high

Attachments