How to tell between constipation and uti

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm freaking out while calling places. And waiting for a call for availability. If they don't call soon . I need to call uber. Or lyft. I'm freaking out as I see no availability rides . What should I do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was able to get in er. Had trouble with uber app my card got locked. But luckily made it in time to get resolved. Just waiting for her at er vet

I can't help with your getting ride availability (sorry), but what is your question about constipation vs. UTI? What is going on?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are referring to the fact that the cat was squatting or returning to the litter box frequently without anything happening, you are doing the right thing to get her to the vet. It can be hard to tell what is going on.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you prevent utis in cats

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Products like D Mannose can be used to prevent them. Cranberry based cat products are available as well. Keep the litter box clean and make sure there is always clean water, maybe even a fountain. However, once a UTI starts, none of those things will cure it and you need the vet.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has meds, so I qm hoping this helps

Products like D Mannose can be used to prevent them. Cranberry based cat products are available as well. Keep the litter box clean and make sure there is always clean water, maybe even a fountain. However, once a UTI starts, none of those things will cure it and you need the vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely stick with the meds and get this cleared up. Then you can look for preventative measures.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You also need to find the source of the UTIs as well. Stones? If so, what kind? Struvite stones are dissolvable, so (UGH) prescription food can help to dissolve them.

Urinalysis can tell what is in the content of the urine - bacteria, blood, protein, urine PH, etc. as well as sediment to denote some sort of stones residing in the bladder, and a urine culture can tell you if there are bacteria that need a specific antibiotic to resolve the infection associated to the specific bacteria found.

Canned food vs dry food is another consideration - along with added water, as mentioned above. Moisture, moisture, moisture is oftentimes the answer.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I been giving her wetfood and I guess I may have to syringe water in her. She's stubborn on water

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can just add some extra water to the canned food. It doesn't need to be soupy. Some cats won't touch soup. A tablespoon or so of water is acceptable by most cats.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They found struvite when they did an urinalysis. I asked if it's dangerous. I don't remember now. I tried giving her some food but she don't like it. 😕

Can water dissolve it if I had to syringe her?

You also need to find the source of the UTIs as well. Stones? If so, what kind? Struvite stones are dissolvable, so (UGH) prescription food can help to dissolve them.

Urinalysis can tell what is in the content of the urine - bacteria, blood, protein, urine PH, etc. as well as sediment to denote some sort of stones residing in the bladder, and a urine culture can tell you if there are bacteria that need a specific antibiotic to resolve the infection associated to the specific bacteria found.

Canned food vs dry food is another consideration - along with added water, as mentioned above. Moisture, moisture, moisture is oftentimes the answer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They found struvite when they did an urinalysis. I asked if it's dangerous. I don't remember now. I tried giving her some food but she don't like it. 😕 Can water dissolve it if I had to syringe her?
Water unto itself isn't really going to 'dissolve' struvite crystals, but extra moisture with all wet food and any additional water you can get her to drink will help keep the bladder flushed - enabling the crystals to pass (most of the time they are small enough) in her urine and aide in preventing new ones from forming.

In so far as her drinking water, you would be better off finding ways to get her to drink more rather than setting up a process of oral syringing water into her mouth. Most cats do not like the process and it is just setting up a bad scenario between you and your cat. Extra water dishes around the home sometimes helps cat 'remember' to drink more as they tend to run across the extra water dishes as they move about the house. Some folks have found that buying a cat water fountain will help entice a cat to want to drink more - a lot of them like the movement of the water. There are even water fountains that mimic a faucet running, as it seems there are quite a few cats who like the idea of how the faucet dispenses water. A little bit of 'juice' from canned tuna in water might be something to test in one of her water dishes to see if that might make her more interested in drinking.

Here is an article that might help you educate yourself on the crystals that she has - Struvite Crystals in Cats (thesprucepets.com).

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw pee in her litter. Is that a good sign?
She hates water fountain. But I may try multiple dish to get her drinking. She finally drank though. Can't put water in her food though, she hates it mix with water

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I saw pee in her litter. Is that a good sign?
She hates water fountain. But I may try multiple dish to get her drinking. She finally drank though. Can't put water in her food though, she hates it mix with water
Of course, her using the litter box is a good thing! Just keep an eye out on it to see if she starts peeing more like she used to before this issue started. Make sure you finish all the meds, and if it is an antibiotic, which I suspect it is, you should see gradual improvement over the course of the meds' duration. Even a teaspoon or so of water 'snuck' into her food at each meal would be helpful - maybe she won't notice such a little amount?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how long it takes for antibiotics to work. It makes me so worried 😭

I gave her a pain pill . I really hope the er staff did good. Wish er vets was close to me, it really ate up my monet for those lyft rides

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone know how long it takes for antibiotics to work. It makes me so worried 😭 I gave her a pain pill . I really hope the er staff did good. Wish er vets was close to me, it really ate up my monet for those lyft rides
Although it varies from cat to cat, and from antibiotic to antibiotic, usually it takes at least half the time of the duration of antibiotics to start seeing any improvement. So, for example, if your cat is on a 10 day dose of antibiotics (which is the most initial ideal course), it could take half that time before you notice a difference.

You also have to understand that if the 'wrong' antibiotic is used, while you still may see some improvement, it might not entirely eradicate a UTI. By wrong antibiotic, I mean one that is not as appropriate for the type of infection your cat has.

Hang in there and give it some time. :vibes::hugs: And, please keep us posted.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably within a few days as long as you follow the prescription label for dosing.

Pet urgent care clinics are getting popular. See if there is one near you that can be an option for non-emergencies but still needs urgent treatment.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's on clavamox. Think it was like last time . She had history of uti . And my vet called it idiopathic cystitis I think it's called. But no crystals . But the er vet said struvite crystals. I don't know which are the lethal ones. She hasn't had an episode since 2014 I think?

I just hate seeing her uncomfortable 😭