how to get Oberon to purr?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

ok, thanks guys! Oberon is not overly macho, but quite sensible, so he probably thinks purring is for the overactive crazy types

Will check his chest next time he sits on me for vibrations, though, that's a great idea. He's definitely not deaf (not when I say "treat").
I was just re-reading this thread.  I know what you mean--even my deaf cat 'hears' me when I say treat.  LOL  Actually he can see the other cats reacting when I bring out the treats, and then he sees the bag so he has his ways of knowing....

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mew, my oldest (around 6 months) purrs and plays (hard!), head bumps, sleeps with and rubs all over my dog Louie.
We don't see her do it near as much, if at all with the other cats. She was raised around dogs before we got her at 5 weeks old.
She does do it to humans. I can't remember if she was raised around other cats or kittens.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Pru doesn't purr, at least not that I can hear, but I feel the vibration. She was a feral and she also didn't meow when she first came to us. One night we heard a screechy-scratchy sound and it was her finding her meow, she felt safe enough to try. Out in the wild requires being quiet and unnoticed to keep a feral cat alive. So I think these cats have learned to "run silent" so they can live another day.

Last edited:

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When do kittens start purring? My baby Wally is 4 months old and he does a low, low quiet purr (I think he is purring) but it has this odd almost like small burps or... I wish I could explain it better.
He only purrs/whatever it is called for me and does it all the time around me. My other cats seem fine... long purrs/purring. His are like little bumps but he does it consistently

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats all have different purrs like we have different voices, I don't think any two are alike. I've had kittens purr right after birth. I once had a cat that got a throat injury from a raccoon and she never purred (or meowed) after that. So it does begin in the throat. Cats can purr loud, soft, or sound like  a rusty hinge!

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Di. I have never heard a cat/kitten sound like Wally. I thought maybe he would change as he got older. He is my only boy out of 4 cats.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Cats can purr loud, soft, or sound like  a rusty hinge!
It's true.  Our old boy, Travis, who's about 18-1/2 now, has a purr like--well, I can't explain it.  It's a very raspy old man voice more like wheezing, but it's definitely his way of purring.  :)

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Sophie will purr if you just glance in her direction, and you can hear it across the room! Añe does purr but it's impossible to hear unless you put your ear on her throat. I can feel the vibration in her chest but otherwise you wouldn't know if she is purring or not. Seems every cat has their own voice, as others have said. Añe is very talkative but Sophie never meows. I would not be concerned about it!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Julie starts purring if you speak to her. When she jumps up on me, she starts purring and kneading. S&S will purr as soon as I start petting them or if they are kneading the blanket. Sheba has a quiet purr, and Silly purrs in my ear like a chain saw.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks to the OP (original poster) for asking about the purring question. Neat seeing all of the answers. I was wanting to ask and kept forgetting to ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

If Oberon was a long hair i'd recommend a loin cut. Desty never purred, never was a lap cat or wanted cuddles, then I got her a loin cut and she's a completely different girl. WAY happier, purring, lap cat, cuddles, the whole works. So once she starts getting cranky pants again it's time for a hair cut. Crisis of idenity I guess lol
medium hair 
 like a mole, the densest ever (ok, it was a complete disaster before I started feeding him, but now he's something you want gloves made of), and soft ... don't start me on his fur. But then, also, if he was a girl (which he isn't), he would be a drama-free one. If I don't try to trim his claws, that is.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to the OP (original poster) for asking about the purring question. Neat seeing all of the answers. I was wanting to ask and kept forgetting to ask.
thanks everyone for their input, now I know he's just a normal quiet guy who doesn't like to impersonate a chain saw (think a cross between Jack Reacher and Batman)! 

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Julie starts purring if you speak to her. When she jumps up on me, she starts purring and kneading. S&S will purr as soon as I start petting them or if they are kneading the blanket. Sheba has a quiet purr, and Silly purrs in my ear like a chain saw.
I like the chain saw comparison 
.     I used to fall asleep while Precious was cutting lumber next to my head.

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When do kittens start purring? My baby Wally is 4 months old and he does a low, low quiet purr (I think he is purring) but it has this odd almost like small burps or... I wish I could explain it better.
He only purrs/whatever it is called for me and does it all the time around me. My other cats seem fine... long purrs/purring. His are like little bumps but he does it consistently
The super happy kitten purr!  I had to look this one up when Rumi started doing this.  Some kittens produce excess saliva when they're really happy, and they'll either drool or swallow it.  The ones that swallow it sound like they're burping!  Rumi grew out of it, but Tavi will sometimes still "burp" when he purrs.  So adorbs! 

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do they out grow it? Yes sounds like lots of little burps or hiccups constantly. He use to drool a lot. I don't see it near as much now

Too cute. None of my others did it...

The super happy kitten purr!  I had to look this one up when Rumi started doing this.  Some kittens produce excess saliva when they're really happy, and they'll either drool or swallow it.  The ones that swallow it sound like they're burping!  Rumi grew out of it, but Tavi will sometimes still "burp" when he purrs.  So adorbs! :heart3:  

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine never grew out of it. If Sugar or Spice is purring and kneading, they are also drooling. Sometimes they suck them back in, but mostly they just get me wet.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yay! He vibrates!

I knew he loved me...
 it's just so rare that I actually have time to sit down, so he can sit on me and head-butt and do his vibrate thing.