How should I feed my emaciated stray cat

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't really seem interested in her new cat tree..We kinda bribed her with cat treats to get her on it lol..She really didn't seem to know how to climb it at first, but she is getting the hang of it and once she gets on it she realizes how awesome it is.:) :whitecat:
Lol...exactly how my cat was when introduced to her tree!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

She doesn't really seem interested in her new cat tree..We kinda bribed her with cat treats to get her on it lol..She really didn't seem to know how to climb it at first, but she is getting the hang of it and once she gets on it she realizes how awesome it is.:)
Wow, she looks so much better already. Thank you for the update.

Maybe Bowie is having trouble climbing because of being so thin? I rescued a really skinny stray last year. She had trouble climbing at first. Her leg muscles were weak because she had lost so much weight. She took more interest in climbing as she got stronger. It takes a while for their muscles to build back up again.

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she is beautiful! she even looks like a girl with that gorgeous face and those eyes! sometimes when cats have bi-colored eyes, they are only deaf on the side of the blue eye. kind of strange! i know you've gotten alot of feeding advice but i thought i'd let you know that petsmart has their own brand of cat food called "good natured" that is grain free and cheap! it comes in a kitten variety too. my cats liked it when they were kittens. they have wet and dry varieties. bowie will probably get alot more playful once she gets her health back. being that starved takes a long time to recover from. bless you for taking her in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol...exactly how my cat was when introduced to her tree!!
I think Bowie is also starting to realize that food is always gonna be there..Before all she wanted to do is gorge herself..She will eat all the food in her bowl and now she doesn't eat all her food she would eat some and then go take a nap..We have been giving her the same amount one 5oz can and a half can and spliiting it in 3 meals..I also started giving her dry food as a snack I would just give a big her a big handful to munch on in between the wet food feedings

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Bowie is also starting to realize that food is always gonna be there..Before all she wanted to do is gorge herself..She will eat all the food in her bowl and now she doesn't eat all her food she would eat some and then go take a nap..We have been giving her the same amount one 5oz can and a half can and spliiting it in 3 meals..I also started giving her dry food as a snack I would just give a big her a big handful to munch on in between the wet food feedings
That is especially wonderful to hear [emoji]128571[/emoji] Isn't amazing how resilient and trusting animals can be under the right circumstances?? She has clearly been through a lot and yet is bouncing back becuase she feels safe and loved. In terms of food, I do pretty much what you do: primarily canned but some dry out when I'm at work and overnight. I don't know the circumstances of my cat's background as I adopted her when she was 2 but there must have been a lack of resources (not as extreme as little Miss Bowies) or competition for food as my kitty still has some issues around food; keeping a little dry out seems to be the best way minimize her stress around food. My cat
Thanks for the updated photos...she really is looking wonderful and it seems like her weight gain is going good: gradual and steady.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww. Thanks for these photos, she's beautiful!!! I love her cat tree by the window, what a lovely spot! Looks like she has gained a little bit of weight already :) well done!

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been doing alot of research to find out what kind of cat breed Bowie is..She looks alot like the Khao Manee breed..Khao Manees originate in Thailand and it means white gem and they are also known as diamond eyed cat..Pretty cool!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
boobear27 boobear27 full disclosure: I know very little about identifying cat breeds and even less about Khao Manees (I had to google the name [emoji]128541[/emoji]). But in my NON-expert opinion, I have to agree that the resemblance between Bowie and the photos I saw of Khao Manees is pretty striking. Especially with respect to the eye and face shape. If she is a Khao Manee, sounds like you have yourself a cat with a wonderful personality in addition to striking good looks [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@HelloMissKitty Having dogs all my life I have zero clue about cat breeds myself..The breed I ever knew of is Tabby cat from watching Garfield as a kid lol..I kept searching on google looking at a bunch of photos of white cat breeds until I fell upon this one photo that looked exactly like Bowie:) I was so excited to find out what she could possibly be..The history of the Khao Manee breed is very interesting..It's kind of fun to say Khao Manee:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whatever her parents may or may not have been, they certainly gave her the genes for beauty!  Oh, she looks so good now!  I'm sitting here all teary-eyed with happy tears!  This is one of my feel-good stops!