How should I feed my emaciated stray cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to take Bowie to the vet today to get her toes checked..The vet said she tore out one of the nails in the back paw and one on her front paw..The one on the back paw was a little infected so they gave her an antibiotic injection and they gave me pain medication to take home..They gave her a dosage of the pain meds at the vet and right now she's pretty sedated..They said the toe will heal on it's own...I also found out at the vet today that Bowie has a heart murmur:(  I'm doing some research about heart murmurs in cats..I'm gonna take her back to the vet in the future to run some tests and figure out how to go about treatment...

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww...poor girl[emoji]128575[/emoji] I'm glad you took her in and that she has pain medication. I was thinking that at minimum her poor toes must hurt!
I don't know anything about heart murmers in cats but thank you for taking in and loving this sweet little soul [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww...poor girl[emoji]128575[/emoji] I'm glad you took her in and that she has pain medication. I was thinking that at minimum her poor toes must hurt!
I don't know anything about heart murmers in cats but thank you for taking in and loving this sweet little soul [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
I"m really glad she got some pain meds too..I would have given her something sooner but I read that cats can't take aspirin like dogs can..Usually when my dogs are in a little pain I will give them a baby aspirin..The vet I usually go to was completely booked when I called the other day and I was glad I was able to get an appt when I was able to..I like to go to that vet not only are they really good but their prices are very reasonable and they always give me a quote before anything...They don't charge me an arm and a leg like the other vets in my neighborhood do..This vet hospital is always so busy because everyone likes to go to them..The vets are really awesome and so kind!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so important as a pet owner to have a vet for your babies that you trust and have a good rapport with. Sounds like Bowie and your dogs are in wonderful hands when you need them [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

I quickly googled heart murmer for cats and from what little I read, sounds like it depends on the "grade" of the murmer. I hope that Bowie's is a low grade one. I know years ago I was told by a doctor that I had a heart murmer but years later and ever since, no one has ever heard a heart murmur again. My point is that I hope that something similar happens for Bowie: I did read that low grade murmers in cats can resolve on their own.

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so important as a pet owner to have a vet for your babies that you trust and have a good rapport with. Sounds like Bowie and your dogs are in wonderful hands when you need them [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

I quickly googled heart murmer for cats and from what little I read, sounds like it depends on the "grade" of the murmer. I hope that Bowie's is a low grade one. I know years ago I was told by a doctor that I had a heart murmer but years later and ever since, no one has ever heard a heart murmur again. My point is that I hope that something similar happens for Bowie: I did read that low grade murmers in cats can resolve on their own.
I also read that certain diseases in cats can cause heart murmurs and I read that anemia can be one of them..The last time I had Bowie's blood work done the vet said she was a little anemic..I'm gonna get some bloodwork again and some xrays done the next time I take to her to the vet

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that about anemia and I thought I remembered Bowie was anemic when you first took her to the vet.
It still amazes me how a chance encounter in your yard one day changed her life so dramatically [emoji]128519[/emoji] [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw that about anemia and I thought I remembered Bowie was anemic when you first took her to the vet.
It still amazes me how a chance encounter in your yard one day changed her life so dramatically [emoji]128519[/emoji] [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
I'm glad she came to my yard too :) She wouldn't have made it too long out there on her own.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are doing a great job providing the care that Bowie needs. Get well Bowie.

I just noticed that you are in Poulsbo. What a great area to reside in. I have some relatives in WA. We took a day trip there in 2013.

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You are doing a great job providing the care that Bowie needs. Get well Bowie.

I just noticed that you are in Poulsbo. What a great area to reside in. I have some relatives in WA. We took a day trip there in 2013.
Thank you for the kind words:) My husband and I moved here to WA about a year ago and we love it! There's so many outdoorsy stuff to do! There's alot of good camping spots over here.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the advice:) I did some research before I decided to use the lavender oil and there seems to be alot of mixed reviews about using lavender oil for cats some articles say is toxic and some say it's not  toxic ..I just made sure I used it in moderation and I only added one or two drops in the diffuser and just let the diffuser spray a couple of mists in the room  I made sure not to overpower the room with the scent and had the window open for some ventilation..I wouldn't place the place the lavender oil on the skin though and I always make sure to keep all my essential oils out of harms way so no accident spills and having my pets accidentally ingest it.
Awesome! Glad to hear you're aware of the potential risk and taking steps to be very careful!! :)

Also - omg adorable onesie!!! That is so cute!! 

motu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 i got six cats and they get to eat as much as they want.  i use a variety of canned foods but no dry.   Pate varieties are emphasized, but I also use shredded.  Cheapy friskies ($.50/can) is emphasized although I do  pick up other brands ($1.90 is about max i will pay).    I buy just about every variety in these categories and buy double the ones that they seem to like more. Each time I open a can, its always a different variety.  I feed them on demand and split the can into two dishes so another cat can have access.  Each morning the bowls are usually clean but if not, I throw away leftovers. scraps).

Some of the cats are moderately overweight (perhaps from being fixed) and all of them get plenty of activity. 

Back to your topic ,though, when pilgrim joined in as a kitten he came in as a feral kitten.  I suppose not having a regular meal at hand and not knowing when the next meal would come, he was very aggressive about eating.  It was one of those situations where you just couldn't believe how much a little rascal could eat.  After a while, maybe two weeks, he settled down into normal feeding habits and probably eats less than the others now.   Pilgrim lived with his buddy flash and they were captured together.  At that time, flash was past kitten stage but he ate normal right away.  Neither of these cats puke from over eating.  

Fritz, a middle aged cat, will eat to much at a time and will puke it.  For him I usually put a reduced serving in front of him.  Sometimes it helps. 

The side of the can will suggest how much food a cat will need.  My cats collectively eat a little less. 

Other foods they get occasionally include table scraps, cheese, roasted chicken, boiled shrimp, boiled frozen plastic sealed talapie, fat from steak,  whiskis milk, and regular milk.