How old were you...

iveynightwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first cat that I remember having was when I was about 2. My mom had taken in a cat who had kittens, but then after they were weined the moma cat ran off and we were left with 5 kittens, all but one ended up running off, then when I was 4 the last cat "Kitty" ran off.

kaskacats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was 20 (I'm 22 now), my sister couldn't commit to her cat, Bones, anymore and was going to give him back to the shelter, and I got mad and said she couldn't. So she gave him to me, I think he lived with me for about 6 months before he had to be put down cause he had cancer. It was the most horrible experience. I got Missy a few months before Bones passed, she was a stray. It was during a cold snap in feb I think, temperature was around -40 C, so I didn't bring my garbage out to the can, I just put it outside my door and she was getting into it. So I started feeding her and it didn't take long for her to move in. She's the sweetest, friendliest cat, I don't know why I never heard from her previous owner. I was never allowed to have a cat when I was a kid, always had a dog, though. And now look at all the freaking cats I have!
Anyone want a few?

dmcwlvssr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 18 my mom was not an animal lover but I have had a kitty and or dog since I moved out on my own many many years ago!

fat clumsy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was 22 when I first got Mel. She was a stay cat in Australia then. Back in Singapore, my mom do not allow us to have any four legged pets.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we had dogs before than so i guess i am a new cat owner...but not new to planning and loving them. my friends had cats, and i have been researching and planning my cattery since i was 15

laurelism

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I was three... she is still with me and also happens to be my first pet as well as my first kitty

Laurel

janemary

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was 20 when I got Simon!

I have ALWAYS loved cats, but my parents always wanted dogs.

I had a yorkie named Abby for 14 years and my parents bought another yorkie and she will be 2 years old this Christmas day! I also had 4 guinea pigs, two rabbits (one that lived for 7 years), 5 hampsters, and a parrot over the years!

sang72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was 29 when I got my first kitty. My parents didn't approve of household pets (except insects, I had a Praying Mantis as a pet
), and I just sort of continued through early adulthood never having a pet.

However that first fuzzy little orange ball that scampered into my life changed my life forever. Now I am addicted to cats.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

Arlyn, I love it!!!!! and I love your haiku! Got any more poetry??
It's not mine.
If you Google Cat Haiku, there'a websites that have it.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 11 I brought home a tabby kitten that I bought at a school fete. My parents were not amused, but agreed to keep her and she lived with them for 16 years. I was 22 when I first was able to have a cat in my own home, and have never been without them since.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born into a family with 2 dogs (a Dachshund and a German Sheppard - retired police dog), up in Michigan. We moved to KY and dad gave our GS doggie away (bad daddy!). Here in KY, our neighbors had an outdoor cat named "Tabby". They mistreated the lil guy, so we took him in. I was about 8 yrs old - when I got my first cat.

Then came Oreo, another stray we took in, about a year later. Then Rusty -- adopted from the animal shelter when I was 17.

Then at age 19, finally, my first cat on my own in my uh, "adult" life: Snickers!

And so on and so forth until I now have 6...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother brought home a cat (Josephine) when I was about 2. She had a litter of 2 kittens (you didn't always spay back in the early sixties) that we called Little Joe and Blacky. My sister became allergic to cats, wound up in the hospital it was so bad so dad took the cats to the pound. I was about 10 years old and I cried hysterically the entire time, as mom told me what happened to them once they got there. I'm not sure that I ever forgave them for that. I made a personal vow to never do that to any animal in my lifetime.

A week after I moved into my own apartment at 18, I adopted Hippocrates and have been owned by cats ever since - except for that 1 week after he died from cancer and I found another cat. That was 1978.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not so sure that the kitty was not there before I was, but maybe I was one or two. Her name was Dolly. I don't remember her. I haven't been without a kitty since.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a cat living at my house before I was born. She was already 5 years old because my brother got her when he was 3. So there's always been cats in my life.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got Chester and Piper 2 years ago at 26. We did have a cat when I was growing up, but she was my aunts cat (she didn't like anyone else in the house!
)

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm.... well, my brother had a cat when I was born, but he died when I was just 2.
Then my sister got a cat when I was 5, and I got MY cat when I was 7.