How old were you...

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old were you when you got your first kitty?

Just curious!

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not sure exactly as I mentioned before I dont' remember a lot about my childhood. I do remember is we always had pets - I remember having twin cats Tom and Ginger - I don't know for sure if they were twins or not they looked identical but Dad said they were.. I think I was about 8

meiam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i was 2...my mom took me to her aunts farm and they let me pick whichever one i wanted...and i named it puddin...and i had that cat til i was 10, it died giving birth

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 2 and my mom took me to the pound to get a puppy.
My puppy was an owner surrendered 6 month old Siamese queen that picked us.
1970, a lot of people still believed the myth of cats taking baby's breath away, the former owner was pregnant, this was a gorgeous, pedigreed cat.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always had cats here, from the second I was brought home from the hospital we have had pet cats. The first one that left an impression however was a Blue Cream Persian, Beebee.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 6. My childhood kitty Christy was found under a woman's house at approx. 2 weeks of age. We adopted her and took over as Mommy kitty. She was beautiful, with long solid white hair except for two little gray stripes on her forehead. Christy went to Heaven at the age of 14.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't rmember - we always had cats - don't remember a time without one.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember life without cats (until I got married
)

"MY" first cat was actually a kitten of the resident mama cat, Cricket. Cricket had her litter, on my parents bed, while they were at the hospital delivering me. My mother moved them all into the porch, but the next morning, Mama Cricket and her brood were in my crib with me. Proof positive cats don't steal babies' breath!! My special girl's name was Phideaux (pronounced Fido), and she lived to be 16yrs 2mos.

The first cat I chose myself was Dusty, a smoke-gray kitty. To this day I don't remember how she came into our lives, but I do remember her only litter, born on MY bed, when I was 8.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 2 1/2, I had to pass an interview by the current owners of the kitty, a seal point siamese who was my best buddy until he passed away 3 weeks before I went to college.

I like to say I was raised by a cat, which accounts for some of my better qualities

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I was 2 and my mom took me to the pound to get a puppy.
My puppy was an owner surrendered 6 month old Siamese queen that picked us.
Arlyn, I love it!!!!! and I love your haiku! Got any more poetry??

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 7... brought home a black DSH kitten and told my dad, who didn't like cats, that we were keeping him because I already named him Midnight. Good reasoning for a 7 y.o. and already stubborn as hell.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, have always been around cats. There was already a cat here when I was brought home and it was the first non human I met! Mom made sure to introduce the puppy and kitten to me.

When I was about 5, my paternal grandmother brought me a gray tabby kitten. Mom named him Tom Tinker.

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, Pixie's 2 and I'm 27, so that would be 25. We didn't have pets when I was growing up and I didn't like cats at all until I actually lived with one (my roommate's) and realized that cats are pretty damn cool

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i was about -6 when my parents bought bushee, always had a cat, and as far as i know i always will

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 18!!
I had a pair of yorkies, a parakeet, a box turtle, scores of fish, a couple hermit crabs, a handful of green anoles brought back from Florida and two hamsters, as well as my "very own horse" that my Uncle Jack kept for me to ride all summer long when I spent the summers with them growing up, but never a cat. I love ALL animals, but being owned by Leo tops all of that!

When I saw him at the adoption center, I was instantly drawn to him. My sweet baby boy has been the most beautiful, wonderful cat and companion ever since! we've actually just passed our one-year anniversary together, and Leo's 4th birthday last week!

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you believe it? I was about 55 years old!

My family did have cats when I was young, but they were just barn cats, so I don't really count that. We never treated them as family members the way most of us seem to treat our pets.

tigress23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was 2. My neighbors had found a big orange tom in the dumpster. It had been hit by a car and someone just through it in the dumpster. I loved the cat so much when I'd go over to visit they gave it to me. He was the best. He slipped out the door one day and didn't come back.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up with dogs. I was 30 when I got my first kitty -- who would have been a dog if I had had an appropriate lifestyle. She sure taught me!