How long til my foster cat gives birth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many times cats feel "lumpy" because the uterus is swollen after giving birth. She may have been experiencing after pains. If she has another kitten still to deliver she will eventually have it. Let's hope she's done, poor gal. She must be exhausted and sore today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amen to that. I've just checked on her and she is in the kitten box with her babies purring her head off. She still seems to be purring in overdrive but I'm hoping she's all done. She deserves a break. And the fab need is I've worked out a cheap neuter plan with the local Vet who will do the foster babies at half the norm so the new owners must agree to take kitty there and they lay the difference. I will of course rake money up front, just in case. I'm so glad all of her babies made it. I can breathe easier now. Thank you yet again for everything. That was quite a baptism if fire. You were all brill.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The excessive purring is her way of comforting herself and dealing with her stress. There is new stress on her body now too with the nursing. It can take mama cats a couple of days to fully calm down after the birthing experience and adjust to caring for the babies.

Watch for a runt not getting enough nipple time.

If I'm understanding correctly, the adopters will pay the other half of the spay/neuter fee when they pick up the cat from the vet's office after surgery? I've never heard of this done before. I need to think about this plan for a bit.

Hope you can get your rest today!

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Vet has offered to do the neuter half price. But the adoptive owner must pay theirbhakf upfront on collecting their kitten. Vaccination and chip will have been done already. When they pay their halfbif the neuter they get a voucher which they present to the Vet and the kitten is neutered. Does that make sense lol. No such luck with a rest with my other little foster fur babies but hey ho, early night for me.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! What an eventful night and morning you've had! Congrats on the new babies [emoji]128149[/emoji]

You and Moggy did a great job, what a team you are :)
:clap:

Glad it's going well and that's fantastic news about the offer of 1/2 price spay & neuter!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the picture of her holding your hand.  She definitely needed someone with her last night.  She won't forget you were there. 

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so very much, you helped more than you realise. Moggy will be going to a lovely home when her kittens are rehomed at 12 weeks, until then they will all stay here in the nursery. And I'm so glad to say that I know the family who are adopting moggy very well so we can stay in touch. I will never forget last night. I'm so grateful to moggy for allowing me to be apart of it. Will keep udating with new pics. Thank you all x

Last edited:

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The runt of my new litter weighed in on delivery at 80g. He doesn't appear to be feeding as well as the others, or being pushed off the nipple. I've tried putting him bback on but sometimes he just falls off. Sarthur2 if your out there what do you suggest? He weighed today at 92g . anyone with any advice would be much appreciated. Previous fosters were a few weeks old at least before they've come to me. This is a new experience. I can phone the foster Vet just thought I'd ask you guys first as we have this far together lol. Thanks

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's small but gained 12 grams which is really good.  I would watch for now.

If you are 'calling' a member, use the '@'  in front of their name and it should appear in blue letters when you are done typing.  Sometimes you have to try more than once for it to 'take'.  @sarthur2

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My runt was 87 grams at birth. I kept an eye on him and got him as much nipple time as I could by supervising them while nursing and gently moving the kittens that tried to bully him off to other nipples. I also would put him to a nipple while the other four where sleeping and such and it helped him gain a little more he's still smaller than the others but much stronger now. Just watching and trying to get him extra teat time should  work. A 12 gram gain is good for a runt they just need a little extra attention. I am not an expert this is just what I've found out from people here and the two litters that my females had this year.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep a close eye on the runt and weigh him every day. He needs to gain 6-10 grams a day, and more is always better. If he is getting pushed away or not nursing well, you'll need to supplement with kitten formula. If you need instructions on how to do this let us know.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK will weigh them all in a mo. I have krm in and a bottle but I've only every had kittens in that are older so I've never bottle fed a newborn. I did read up on it today and bought the correct bottle and teats but its sounds dangerous, I'm scared I might choke the tiny thing so I will definitely seek advice there from you. Thank you. As for now I will continue to weigh and monitor as you suggest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The baby will not take a bottle if you need to supplement. They never do if they have a mom, so you'd need to use a 1-2 mL syringe. This will come from a vet or pharmacy. The kitten is held tummy down, head up like it feeds from mom. The syringe goes in the side of the mouth, 1-2 drops at a time, let the kitten swallow & breathe, and go again.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update. All kittens are doing well, even my little runt who is smaller than the others but gaining weight steadily. I've not had to supplement but will continue to weigh them daily just in case. I sit and basically prop him up into the nipple so that the others don't nudge him off. My other foster litter are giving me a little concern so I will start a new thread for them.

Last edited by a moderator: