How long til my foster cat gives birth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Love all of the pictures! Glad the new babies are doing well. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread! It is truly wonderful! Being a small rescue myself (and I do have my own thread in this section of the forum) I LOVE finding threads that follow other rescues! It is inspiring to see what others go through! You are doing a great job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you ashade1. Just started following you [emoji]128522[/emoji] I love this site. Everyone's just so supportive and the advisors are fab. So knowledgeable and supportive.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a pregnant kitty in who has been battling diahorrea for weeks. Just to recap, she has been wormed with Panacur for 5 days to ensure she is parasite free including gardia. Vet strongly believes it's dietary and has given gastrointestinal wet and dry. The canned pumpkin has helped a great deal, thank you Sarthur2 Sarthur2

In planning to keep her on the gastrointestinal food until the kittens wean and are not reliant solely on momma. Once kittens are self sufficient I'm going to try to wean her onto a grain free dry that she can remain on indefinitely. But my question is, how do I build her up? She is so terribly thin. She can tolerate chicken and fish. Should I just mix chicken and fish into her gastro wet? Is there anything I can give her than will get some weight on her. She is also on vitamin and calcium supplements.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Albon? It is good for coccidiosis. Otherwise I would have recommended the Panacur, or maybe adding a probiotic to her diet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D donnak

What really wipes out coccidia very quickly is Ponazuril. It is THE singular most effective drug for this. It is used off-label in cats, as it is an equine product. Your vet can get it, and it is available at feed stores.

I would also suggest another round of Panacur and an antibiotic such as Albon or even Clavamox. Additionally, the vet should be able to prescribe an anti-diarrheal to give this cat some relief.

You can feed mince, scrambled or hard-boiled egg, full-fat yogurt, cheese, boiled chicken and broth and even plain white rice.

Please keep me posted about this kitty. It may be diet, but parasites are the likely culprit, and they can take several rounds of strong meds to wipe out.

Last edited:

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to update. She has been wormed again with another 5 day course, but the vet said he is reluctant to give antibiotics at the mo with her being pregnant and also because she seems to have made quite a big improvement. Vet thinks maybe 4 kittens and 2 weeks to go. She is eating the pumpkin and hills gastrointestinal wet with either mince chicken scrambled egg and has a smoothie of krm with the natural yoghurt. She is looking quite rounded now in appearance. Her backbone isn't quite as prominent so fingers crossed we are moving in the right direction. Thanks so much for the support. Will keep you posted ps jasmine and her babies are doing grand.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and sera. Sera is the living image of her mommy. Jasmine will be neutered when babes 10 weeks and babes will leave at 12 weeks. Fingers crossed we can find jasmine a home too .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad the cat is better and everyone is doing well. Such a relief to hear! The kittens are very sweet looking! Thank you for the update! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Had 3 foster babies in today. They were found by member of the public sellotaped in a show box and left by a shop. Vet says about 10 days old. They are so thin and their eyes are shocking! All have been put on chloramphenicol cream and have been deflea'd. Heartbreaking. Will get some pics up asap.

Jasmine and her 4 are doing very well I'm happy to say.

New prego is doing OK on the new duet. She has about 10 days to go. Praying for healthy kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! How cruel to those babies! Are you hand feeding them now? Bless their little hearts. I hope they make it. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Glad the others are doing well.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes the are on krm. The 2 bigger ones are sucking now on the teat but the tiny one still hasn't quite mastered it so it's a bit more difficult with her but she is progressing albeit slowly. Their eyes look a bit better today but again the little ones one eye still looks shocking. I'm using the cream from the vet but I was reading about colloidal silver and wondered if to bathe their eyes with that. Has anyone ever tried colloidal silver on eye infections?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here in the U.S. we use terramycin ointment on the eyes. It's an antibiotic for eyes. Can you get that?