How can I tell how pregnant my cat is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have her nesting box in the closet but she hasn't showed interest in it yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There doesn't have to be discharge. She's scared and doesn't want to be alone. I'm glad she's in the house with you and you are staying with her. Do you have food, water, and litter in the room for her?

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I have everything in here for her. I put the food and water close to the bed and the litter about two feet away. She is now eating! This is so weird.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just nibbled a little when my daughter came in from work. She's really attached to Halle as well as myself so she is use to Halle aways feeding her. She back laying down now.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her belly is moving but she keeps standing up and laying just for seconds at a time.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to lay down in the room with her and watch TV. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I have to be up in four hours to get ready for work so I'm sure I may just have to call in if she is still in the process. I just can't leave her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stage one labor can last for hours. My cat was in this stage for about 24 hours before delivering her first kitten.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like she wants you with her. Cats can stall labor too, so it's probably best if you stay with her rather than go to work, if that option exists.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't drink anything!

Someone's cat was in labor and she went to the bathroom and the cat stopped her labor and followed her and didn't start up again until the next day.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we are now six hours since my last post. Lilly is not doing much. She is restless, but she gets up and gets a drink and walks around and nibbles on her food. Then she cries and just looks at me. She has observed her nesting box a couple times.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Surely she can't continue to delay labor can she? It just seems like eventually she will have no choice but to let these little ones out.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I believe Lilly was waiting for me to wake up because she just had her first kitty. No more than ten minutes after my last post I rubbed her belly told her she was a good mommy and she started contracting and screamed twice and we have an orange baby!I will update as we go thru this. Thanks so much ladies you are wonderful for all your help.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Three hours and four kitties. How do you know when they are done? She seems very content.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just had her fifth!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray! :)

I told you it takes hours, but that she would deliver! It's easy to get frustrated, but the contractions in stage one are getting the kittens and her body ready to do the birthing.

Aren't you glad you stayed with her? They really do benefit from the love and support. Mama kitty must feel exhausted but much relieved it's over - and you as well!

You can mix up a dish of KMR for her to drink each day. She'll need the extra calcium while nursing.

I'm so pleased this went well :).

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is doing great, but when I pet her I feel movement in her tummy still or maybe I just got use to feeling this. She did get up to nibble but once the kittens cried a little she move right back to them. I moved her food right beside her and even hand fed her some. She's such a good mom. She didn't take to the KMR before but I will try again now. They are fiesty little ones fighting over teats when there are plenty to go around. My daughters are enjoying it and Lilly loves the attention.