How Accurate are X-Rays for Determining Cat Pregnancy?

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Today's Weights:

Kitten                             9/1                 9/2                      9/3

Black/white                 2.7 oz           3.1 oz               3.4 oz.

Red                              3.3 oz           3.7 oz               3.9 oz

Green                          3.1 oz           3.4 oz               3.7 oz

Purple                         2.9 oz           2.8 oz                2.8 oz.

Blue                             2.7 oz           2.7 oz               2.7 oz.

Orange                       3.1 oz            3.3 oz               3.7 oz.

Here are today's weights. The two tiny ones haven't gained or lost, everyone else has gained.

I had been trying to supplement the two tiny ones. That did not go too well with Mom cat, even in another room. Part of the reason being they both were very vocal. (They have good lungs!)  Indipoo was so stressed I finally decided to wait until today's weights to see where they are. Indipoo thankfully has moved them back into the nest cage after the construction next door stopped for the day.

I came up with an idea and would like some input on this. After Indipoo moved them back, they were feeding. When they were all done and back to sleep, I took the two tiny ones and put them onto the nipples and they nursed alone for about 10 mins or so. The next time she nursed them, I did the same thing to get some extra food into them.

I was wondering what do you think, should I keep doing that until tomorrow's weights or should I go ahead and try supplementing those two as well?         
It's good to place them on mom's nipples, because mom's milk is the best milk they can get. However, due to them being stable for the past 2 days, I would suggest supplementing. I'm no fan of supplementing when there is no very big reason to, but I think this is enough reason to go there. Aside from that, keep putting them on mom's nipple when the others are sleeping. Hopefully they will have gained weight tomorrow. And you can then try the putting on nipple and give some extra milk yourself (I wouldn't go full schedule yet, but put them on mom and give some extra and hopefully that'll do the trick). I also would weight them twice a day if mom allows you, to make sure they are actually drinking.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Biancavd Ok I have been watching too to make sure they were drinking. She doesnt mind me weighing them, but she does mind me feeding them.

I am open to ideas to make supplementing them easier. They start to fuss and she tries to take them from me. I tried feeding them in another room and she went ballistic. Tried in front of her and the minute one makes a peeep, she tries taking it. What can I do to make supplementing go more smoothly?

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was able to get 1.5 ml kmr into the tiny guy that gets pushed off nipples. The other tiny one was nursing great, so I let him be for now.

Wanted to get a full 2 ml into him. He was fussing the whole time. How often should I give him extra?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See how those two are doing weight-wise today on mom. Keep putting them on mom when the others are sleeping.

The bottom line though is that they need to gain, not stay the same, so if they do not gain in the next 12 hours you need to supplement them. They'll just have to get used to it. You should take them one at a time and wrap them burrito-style in a towel. They are going to squawk because they would rather be with mom.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After my post last night, I weighed the two smallest. The tiniest one had dropped to 2.4 oz. I went ahead and supplemented him again.

I just weighed him again and he is up to 2.5 oz. The other tiny one is up to 2.8 oz.

How often should I supplement them?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they should be fed every hour.  As they begin to gain you can feed every 2 hours.  Don't forget to burp them.

You may want to add a drop of olive or veggie oil to the KMR and head off any constipation issues.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question. Indipoo could she be sensing those two need to eat more? I went to get them to supplement them and she is in there giving those two extra on her own. They were both latched on and eating.

My question is, when she is doing that, should I just let them finish and then feed them? I know how important Mama cats milk is. I know they need supplementing as well for now, just unsure of how to proceed. 

@Handsome Kitty

@sarthur2

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if they are latched and feeding do not remove them. But they still need supplementing or you may lose them. Every two hours give 2 mLs, but do it when they are not nursing mom.

The goal is to get them big and strong enough through sipplementing to fight for nipple time on their own.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got it thank you! I just fed the and got almost 2 ml into 1, and almost 1 ml into the other.

My goal is to get the 2 ml into them every 2 hours. Until I am able to get a full 2 ml in them at a time, I will feed every hour.

Good side note here. The howler was fussing while I was feeding him and Kenzi came up making the noises Mom cats do. Very gently she was washing him. I thought about trying to see if she would nurse him, but since she hasnt had the last of her kittens am unsure if she has milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not put any of Indipoo's babies on Kenzi. She needs to save her colostrum for her own babies, and they need milk now anyway.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Letting them nurse on Kenzi can also induce labor. It's best to not make that happening.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No I won't do that.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I weighed everybody. All 4 of the bigger ones are now 4.0 ounces or above. The two tiny ones are at 2.8 oz and 2.5 oz. 

I am supplementing them as you advised. Doing so every hour right now because they are only taking 1 ml to 1.5 ml at a time.

When I go to bed, should I set my alarm and get up throughout the night and feed them as well? 

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok then I will get up in the night to supplement them as well. They are nursing alone on Mom right now, going to supplement them again when they are done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully a couple of days of this will do it, but supplementing through the night is important right now until you feel sure they are growing and getting enough from mom.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! I just wasn't sure if that was all through the night or just while awake. I will do whatever it takes to make sure they are getting enough to eat and growing. 

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was finally able to get a full 2 ml of kmr (in one supplement feeding) into the tiniest kitten! I felt so much relief at finally getting that amount into him.
Before this feeding, I was only able to get around 1 ml. into him before he started spitting it out.

The other tiny one is taking between 1 1/2 ml. and 2 ml during each supplemental feeding. These little guys have stolen my heart. :rbheart:

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Kenzi is back in labor. She was nesting all evening. She looked like she was straining so I had a good look at her and there was a long piece of mucus coming out of her vulva. She washed it off, but looks like she is dilating a bit.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey there!

How is Kenzi today? Any kittens yet?

How did last night's supplementing go?