How Accurate are X-Rays for Determining Cat Pregnancy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today's Weights

Here are the weights for today and I do have a few concerns here. 

Kitten                            9/1                9/2

Black/white                 2.7 oz           3.1 oz

Red                              3.3 oz           3.7 oz

Green                          3.1 oz           3.4 oz

Purple                         2.9 oz           2.8 oz

Blue                             2.7 oz           2.7 oz

Orange                       3.1 oz            3.3 oz

Ok I had to re-do the markers today Indipoo had washed off all the ink, so I redid the ink based on my best guess as to who is who on the creams. 

The two smallest did not gain. One stayed the same and one is less. At this point, what action should I take? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In my opinion they need supplementing. About 2 mL apiece every two hours while you are awake. Your other choice is to wait one more day.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am wary of waiting another day. I noticed when she feeds them she acts like it hurts, but her nipples aren't dried out. They do look a little irritated.
When I weighted the kittens I was able to move them into the cage and she climbed in and fed them. This time left them in there.

Question, should I supplement all of them or just the two smallest?

And, if I am supplementing them it would be easier for me to have the cage in my den where I had originally planned to have it. I don't want to stress her out. Should I go ahead and try to move the cage into the den or wait with moving the cage? She is very, VERY protective.

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

@TsukiyomiI - I thought that too! lol I noticed it is every feeding that one does that. 
Haha smart kitty. My first thought for some reason was that it's the sole female LOL. Though that's likely because a litter I met of 4 males and one boy at a shelter the only one who didn't hiss non stop was the girl haha. Though it could be that black and whites are smart kitties

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can supplement all of them if you want. It will give them a boost. If her nipples are sore, it's probably because she is getting used to them nursing. You can put olive or vegetable oil on her nipples to help with any discomfort.

I don't know where the cage is now, but maybe leave it for the time being since you just moved the kittens into it. It may be too much moving all at once for her. Play it by ear.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave three of the smaller ones KMR in a syringe. I wasn't able to get the fully 2 ml into each one. When I am feeding them, they start to cry for Mama and Indipoo came back in. She tolerated me feeding the first two ok, but started to get very agitated and tried to take kitten 3 from me. I will try again every few hours. 

It is kind of funny in a way. I am used to feeding orphaned kittens. But with Mom cat right there it is a whole different story. Are all Mom cat's that way when you try to supplement? Any tips on how I can make things go more smoothly with that? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, mom just wants them back. Your best bet is to feed them in a different room. I'm thinking these kittens are probably going to be okay with just mom anyway, you are just boosting them here and there.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok that is what I will do then. I wasn't sure since I have never had a Mama cat. How much time away from the kittens is normal at this age? 

She seems to be spending more time tonight away from them. They are asleep and content, but she has been away from them for about 30 minutes. 

I took the opportunity to move the cage in here with me and she followed me, walked in and counted babies and is now in my kitchen eating more and drinking more. This evening

is also the most I have been able to get her to eat/drink since she had them. 

In fact, now that I am thinking about it, Indipoo seems a lot more relaxed since the babies are in the cage. 

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad she is relaxing. It's normal for mom cats to take breaks while the kittens sleep. Nobody can be on duty 24/7 without breaks!

I'm glad she was okay with you moving them. All sounds well!

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know! I really had no idea how long they stay in the nest when kittens are that young. Yes it is going great! With her right here I can see how they are nursing as well. I noticed that sometimes when they are sleeping, she moves over and wakes up a few kittens and feeds a few while the others sleep. I am trying to figure out if it is the bigger kittens or a combination she is doing that with. Doesn't seem to be the same kittens each time so far. 

@Biancavd  - now that I have them moved into a nest cage, I was able to get a picture of everyone together. Let me know what you think about them being point kittens. 

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Haha smart kitty. My first thought for some reason was that it's the sole female LOL. Though that's likely because a litter I met of 4 males and one boy at a shelter the only one who didn't hiss non stop was the girl haha. Though it could be that black and whites are smart kitties
@TsukiyomiI that was my first though too! I know the black and white is a girl, but haven't been able to get a good look at what the other 5 are. Mama cat is relaxing more with me handling them and moving them. Tomorrow I will try to see if they are boys/girls. Every time she gets upset, I tend to put them right back. lol Mama cat with kittens is totally new to me. Now give me a litter of orphaned kittens and no problem. 

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I gave three of the smaller ones KMR in a syringe. I wasn't able to get the fully 2 ml into each one. When I am feeding them, they start to cry for Mama and Indipoo came back in. She tolerated me feeding the first two ok, but started to get very agitated and tried to take kitten 3 from me. I will try again every few hours. 

It is kind of funny in a way. I am used to feeding orphaned kittens. But with Mom cat right there it is a whole different story. Are all Mom cat's that way when you try to supplement? Any tips on how I can make things go more smoothly with that? 
Winn doesn't let me touch her kitten (she bites me), so I'd say getting agitated after the first 2 is pretty good :).

I'm glad things are going well, and I hope Kenzi does better with her remaining kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are beautiful!

No rush on sexing them. It's easier to tell in a couple of weeks. I'm really glad you can see them nursing now. I always put mine back when mama fusses too.

How is Kenzi doing?

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So cute, a bunch of furry little babies haha =^^= I think they are point kittens. They don't seem to be completely white, nor do they seem like cream (though, the last one could be as it's a bit darker than the rest). I also mainly think this because completely white cats are quite rare and for kittens to be completely white, one of the parents must have been completely white. So if you are unaware of any white males running nearby, they should be pointed kittens. But time will tell, probably. Their ears will start coloring first if they are (It's really magical to see!)

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Winn doesn't let me touch her kitten (she bites me), so I'd say getting agitated after the first 2 is pretty good :).

I'm glad things are going well, and I hope Kenzi does better with her remaining kittens.
Oh wow! Now I don't feel so bad at Indipoo's behavior. 

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So cute, a bunch of furry little babies haha =^^= I think they are point kittens. They don't seem to be completely white, nor do they seem like cream (though, the last one could be as it's a bit darker than the rest). I also mainly think this because completely white cats are quite rare and for kittens to be completely white, one of the parents must have been completely white. So if you are unaware of any white males running nearby, they should be pointed kittens. But time will tell, probably. Their ears will start coloring first if they are (It's really magical to see!)
@Biancavd  the Dad cat is a Siamese. 

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2  Kenzi is doing great! She has been very tired past two days. You can still see the kitten(s) moving around. Overall she is back to her usual affectionate, lovey self. I am thinking her remaining kitten(s) will be born within a week. I talked to the vet about what happened last Saturday. She basically said the same thing you did, that her being so sick may have caused that to happen. They had initially placed her due date around September 7th, based on the size of the kittens. 

Indipoo has moved her kittens back under my bed. She was doing great with them in the nest cage. Then the construction next door started up, first time this week. Once the noise started, she took the kittens back under the bed. I moved the cage back into my bedroom and closed the door almost all the way. So far she hasn't put them back, but she has been checking it out. 

I am going to wait to weigh them until the construction guys leave for the day. When I weigh them I will put them back into the nest cage and see what she does. 

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today's Weights:

Kitten                             9/1                 9/2                      9/3

Black/white                 2.7 oz           3.1 oz               3.4 oz.

Red                              3.3 oz           3.7 oz               3.9 oz

Green                          3.1 oz           3.4 oz               3.7 oz

Purple                         2.9 oz           2.8 oz                2.8 oz.

Blue                             2.7 oz           2.7 oz               2.7 oz.

Orange                       3.1 oz            3.3 oz               3.7 oz.

Here are today's weights. The two tiny ones haven't gained or lost, everyone else has gained.

I had been trying to supplement the two tiny ones. That did not go too well with Mom cat, even in another room. Part of the reason being they both were very vocal. (They have good lungs!)  Indipoo was so stressed I finally decided to wait until today's weights to see where they are. Indipoo thankfully has moved them back into the nest cage after the construction next door stopped for the day.

I came up with an idea and would like some input on this. After Indipoo moved them back, they were feeding. When they were all done and back to sleep, I took the two tiny ones and put them onto the nipples and they nursed alone for about 10 mins or so. The next time she nursed them, I did the same thing to get some extra food into them.

I was wondering what do you think, should I keep doing that until tomorrow's weights or should I go ahead and try supplementing those two as well?