How Accurate are X-Rays for Determining Cat Pregnancy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her eye dicharge is clear with some yellow. It is a moderate amount.

Her nasel congestion is clear and only a small amount.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kenzi is acting more like she is going back into labor. BUT, she DOES seem calmer than she did a few nights ago. That makes me feel a bit better. 

She is breathing hard with her mouth closed, and you can tell she is in pain. Moving her legs the way they do. But like I said, she is a lot calmer - so far. (Knock on wood) 

A few days ago it was about 6 or 8 hours between the time she was like she is now, and the time the first kitten was born. Since she already had 2, will things progress faster this time? 

I was hoping the remaining kitten(s) would stay put another day or so. But even 2 days longer is a good thing. 
I am going to grab a bit of sleep while partner gets up and keeps an eye on her. 

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think she'll have them soon. It'll most likely go a lot faster than the first time as it's already "stretched" etc. I think the kittens are moving into the birthing channel. When that's done, they'll be born.

I am happy to hear mom seems more calm than before. I hope she'll do well and will instantly understand what is happening and what to do. Fingers crossed, please keep us updated :)

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kenzi is doing good, but she has me confused. She kept acting like she was going back into labor for another hour after my post. Then she got up, went into the litter box and had a huge stool. After that she so far isn't acting like she is going back into labor. She has been purring non stop and is very affectionate. 

On thing I have noticed is the kitten(s) have moved. Yesterday the remaining babies were higher up in her. Now they are lower, and seem deeper inside is the only way I can think to describe it. @Biancavd  mentioned them moving into the birth channel. Maybe they have? In any case Kenzi seems to have put off having them for now. I don't know what to think at this point. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they've moved down into the birth canal, she will likely go back into labor in the next few days, maybe even a couple of days if she's really dropped. There's more room now that two are gone. The first two were clearly premature. Each of these extra days is adding to the health of the unborn kittens. I'm actually relieved for the sake of the kittens.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am too! She is purring nonstop which is a bit unlike her. It is so loud I could hear her from another room. Indipoo is still taking her time. Nesting a lot though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The non-stop purring may be because she's laboring. Cats purr when content, and to soothe themselves when stressed or in pain, so something may be going on in her body. I guess we'll know soon enough.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indipoo is in active labor.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 so far. VERY fast. So cute!! More later

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question, there are now 5. After the 5th one was cleaned up, she walked over to the box where the kittens were being kept warm, started taking them out. I helped her move them to her and she is attempting to nurse them.

Does that mean she is done having them?

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to have to move them and I hope it won't agitate her. She started out in the nest she chose. I had to walk into my bedroom. She followed me and the first one was born on the floor. They came so fast I had time to grab towels and not much else.

They are very active. So going to move them.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And now there are 6. Waiting to move them. My sweet girl is exhausted and overwhelmed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six! Oh, my!

Yes, she should let you move them in a bit. She may want to be near you tonight.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do I move them? Do I just take them from her and let her follow me?

Haha oh my is right!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to wait until they are sleeping and not actively nursing.

Bring the box next to her and gently put them in. Then move the nest where you want it. She will follow.

She may move them out again though. If she does, I suggest leaving her be for a day or two. Lots of moms are more relaxed about things after they recover and settle in over 24-48 hours.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I will do that. So far they are all trying to eat non-stop and so active! Once I get everyone settled I will post pics and weights. 

Seeing them compared to Kenzi's kittens a few days ago, they are so much bigger. Even the runt is bigger. So now when Kenzi goes back into labor,

I hope the remaining kitten(s) are full sized.