How Accurate are X-Rays for Determining Cat Pregnancy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have fleece over him yes. The picture was of the one whose arm got bit off. This little guy is smaller and has no fur on his arms, legs, and tummy.
That is my goal 1 ml or more an hour. The reason he hasnt gotten more is that he stops swallowing it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you saying that the mom cat refuses to let this kitten nurse at all right now?

All you can do is continue feeding him for now.

Can you post a picture of him?

I'm so sorry for your troubles today.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the second kitten died a few hours ago. 
@sarthur2, yes that is what I was saying. She refused to let the 2 kittens nurse on her. She kept picking them up and moving them away. I am thinking she may have known something was off, because they were very weak compared to how kittens usually are. They only tried to latch onto her once. 

I went over the receipt that my partner brought home from the er vet. It says on there that the other kitten only weighed 2.5 ounces. 

Kenzi is obviously still pregnant, but not in active labor. She has been very clingy and had nervous purring all day and is only just starting to really relax. I can see and feel the kitten(s) moving in her belly. I have been encouraging to eat even more than she was before to help the remaining kitten (s) hopefully grow enough before they arrive. It occurred to me that I really have no idea what her former family was feeding her or if it was even quality food. 

I noticed her vulva is still dilated. Not as much as this morning, but still bigger than before. Does that mean she is still in labor, but not active labor? 

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quote:

Unfortunately, the second kitten died a few hours ago. 
@sarthur2, yes that is what I was saying. She refused to let the 2 kittens nurse on her. She kept picking them up and moving them away. I am thinking she may have known something was off, because they were very weak compared to how kittens usually are. They only tried to latch onto her once. 

I went over the receipt that my partner brought home from the er vet. It says on there that the other kitten only weighed 2.5 ounces. 

Kenzi is obviously still pregnant, but not in active labor. She has been very clingy and had nervous purring all day and is only just starting to really relax. I can see and feel the kitten(s) moving in her belly. I have been encouraging to eat even more than she was before to help the remaining kitten (s) hopefully grow enough before they arrive. It occurred to me that I really have no idea what her former family was feeding her or if it was even quality food. 

I noticed her vulva is still dilated. Not as much as this morning, but still bigger than before. Does that mean she is still in labor, but not active labor? 
Sorry to hear about the kittens :(

katie lou93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just read this thread :( I'm so sorry you had to go through that it must of been very traumatic :( those poor little baby's are at peace now that's how you have to look at it :( I hope her remaning kittens are born healthy and ok and mama cat accepts them.. she may have acted that way with the others because she knew somthing was wrong with them. Somtimes mama cat will try to kill her babies because she knows there is somthing wrong with them, looks to me like that's what happend here..I have a cat molly she is 2 now and she was born with heart deasease and so was her brother apparently, we only found this out when she was just turned 1 she went to the vet for a water infection she had and they picked up a murmur so she had to have a heart scan, she has mild heart deasease she's ok for now but the vet said eventually she will need medication and she probably won't live past 7, she is 3 this December and she is healthy and happy for now and we are so thankful for that! But when I contacted the lady I got her from to tell her and warn her the others from that litter may also have it she said that 5 months previous another owner contacted her saying her cat from the same litter had the same problem, she told me that when molly and her brother was born mama cat wouldn't let ether of them feed and tried to kill the brother but the lady took them away and hand fed them eventually mama cat let them re join her other 3 kittens when they are 2 weeks old but she would somtimes pick them up and put them away from the others but she didn't try to hurt the again.. They had no outward signs of any disability but mama cat clearly knew them 2 kittens had birth defects.. x

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for updating us @hteft  and I'm very sorry about how it ended with the kittens. You did everythin you could, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. I also think mom felt that something was wrong (as mothercats often do) and that that is the reason she did what she did together with the stress and pain from labor.

It's good to hear that the kittens still inside of her are active. Hopefully she will carry them fullterm and will have a much easier time taking care of them. Lots of strenght to you, keep us updated on the process.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
katie lou93 katie lou93
biancavd biancavd
Thank you for your input. It is putting my mind to rest. Yes the other kittens have been having a gymnastics tournament from the looks of it. They are very active. I hope she will carry them at least a few more days. I was worried all last night about how she will react when she goes back into labor. Her vulva is still dilated - but not like it was right before the first two were born.

Indipoo's water broke an hour ago. Going to try to get a few hours sleep before active labor sets in. Hoping all goes well here for both girls.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry about the other kitten. I do feel that her next kittens (whenever she births them) will fare better. If her vulva is closing she is no longer in active labor, which may be a good thing. She can rest now and wait for the still-active kittens to come. I hope Indipoo has an easy time of it as well.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending positive labor and delivery vibes for Indipoo! Hope you can get some rest and all goes well.
((Hugs)) for you and Kenzi for the traumatic birth of the first 2 babies. You did the best you could to support them and mama. Looking forward to updates.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question, Kenzi is acting like she is going back into labor. If she is freaking out like yesterday, should I immediately remove the kitten, or watch and wait?

Indipoo hasnt gone into active labor yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Based on Kenzi's previous behavior, I would remove the kitten if she is acting strangely at all. Once she calms down you can put the kitten back. Just make sure the kitten stays warm with a heating pad under the blanket if you do need to remove the kitten(s).

Thanks for the update on Indipoo.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I will do that. I am hoping she will wait another day or two at least to have the last of her kittens. Give them as much time as possible to grow. They have been very active again today which is a good thing.

I remembered from reading various forum posts that once a cat loses the plug it can take hours, even days to before they go into active labor. So just keeping an eye on her. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are correct, and the extra time will help. Is she still acting like she is in labor?

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kenzi - a little bit. She is nesting, but not licking and I don't see any contractions or hardness on her tummy. Just the kittens dancing around.The first thing she did before was nest, then a few hours later the licking. 

Will Kenzi have a second mucus plug? 

Indipoo - her tummy is hard like a rock, then soft. You can see what looks like slight contractions, and you can tell she is feeling them a little. I am unsure if her vulva is dilating because she will not let me look. She was licking a lot last night when she had the discharge/plug but only sporadically today. 

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indipoo must have picked up a cold when we were at the vet last week. She was sneezing earlier and I didnt think anything of it.

Now her nose is running, and so are her eyes. She is up to date on her uri shot. Will that knock out the cold?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her symptoms may be pregnancy-related. See if they increase or possibly go away. If they get worse you can always get an antibiotic for her.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There won't be a second mucusplug. Discharge is possible tho.

How bad are Indipoo's eyes and nose running? And is the fluid clear or more like a greenish/yellowish color?